Jurrah never made it to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurrah will be going to jail not to another AFL club.

I am in favour of payback. Most times payback is a shit load better than white man's law and locking them up.

But payback doesn't involve getting drunk on VB and using a machette.

There is nothing traditional about a machette, it's not an indigenous weapon nor is booze. Payback is a done by elders in a calm ritual manner. Jurrah is out of jail because the NT magistrate made a common sense decision and got him out of town. His cousin is rotting in jail and his victim still has scars on his head and body from the machette blows to his head and body.

The club shouldn't waste a second of time on him.

Not into innocent until proven guilty?

why is Andrew krakouer considered such a hero for going through his troubles then, people can change and Jurrah with family close and the right guidence could as well, also Last I read I didnt think it was a forgone conclusion that he would go to jail
Krakouer served his time, I believe the point REH was making that Jurrah hasn't served his time yet and therefore won't be on any list.

But payback doesn't involve getting drunk on VB and using a machette.

There is nothing traditional about a machette, it's not an indigenous weapon nor is booze. Payback is a done by elders in a calm ritual manner. Jurrah is out of jail because the NT magistrate made a common sense decision and got him out of town. His cousin is rotting in jail and his victim still has scars on his head and body from the machette blows to his head and body.

The club shouldn't waste a second of time on him.
Its interesting. The AFL positions itself as a prominent employer of indigenous people, and maybe trying to rehabilitate guys like Jurrah (if not convicted) is the sort of thing they should be doing if its all actually more than bullshit marketing hype?

Also re: your post, IMO there's a difference between something being traditional and something being cultural. A lot of stuff, across the world, happens for tribal reasons and it updates with technology & other cultural influence. It doesn't necessarily make it any easier for people in the thick of things to not be sucked in, just because they're not wearing face paint and no pants.

I'd certainly understand if we don't want to get involved because we probably can't carry any extra negative press (and the shit St Kilda got from Lovett is fresh in the mind), and from a strict list management viewpoint I think recruiting him or not would be a very marginal decision.

Its interesting. The AFL positions itself as a prominent employer of indigenous people, and maybe trying to rehabilitate guys like Jurrah (if not convicted) is the sort of thing they should be doing if its all actually more than bullshit marketing hype?

Also re: your post, IMO there's a difference between something being traditional and something being cultural. A lot of stuff, across the world, happens for tribal reasons and it updates with technology & other cultural influence. It doesn't necessarily make it any easier for people in the thick of things to not be sucked in, just because they're not wearing face paint and no pants.

I'd certainly understand if we don't want to get involved because we probably can't carry any extra negative press (and the shit St Kilda got from Lovett is fresh in the mind), and from a strict list management viewpoint I think recruiting him or not would be a very marginal decision.
It is such a "very marginal decision" that this issue would get as close to 50/50 as any poll ever done. I would be astounded if it didn't.

Krakouer served his time, I believe the point REH was making that Jurrah hasn't served his time yet and therefore won't be on any list.

Correct. He will be in court in September and his lawyer will probably try and delay it again. You don't do a trade for him.

The PSD/RD isn't until mid December. If he has his day in court - fully by then, no more delays by his lawyers, I expect him to be given a criminal conviction - a minimum as an an accessory to a vicious attack, but based on what someone from Alice has told me, who knows the coppers who made the arrest, he will go for making the attack not just sitting back and watching it.

Don't believe the AFL industry spin on it and journo's who tippy toe around this. This has got nothing to do with white Australia not understanding black fellas. He broke black fella law by doing the payback incorrectly, and he also broke white man's law.

Watch Melbourne let him drift away with no real attempt to lure him back. They will make nice motherhood statements to the media, but there actions will be that they don't want anything to do with him.

Not into innocent until proven guilty?

It's a principle that does a great job protecting criminals. The reason he isn't in the clink with his cousin waiting trial is because the magistrate used his common sense and realised that if Jurrah was in Alice Spriongs jail the mob would come after him.

Correct. He will be in court in September and his lawyer will probably try and delay it again. You don't do a trade for him.

The PSD/RD isn't until mid December. If he has his day in court - fully by then, no more delays by his lawyers, I expect him to be given a criminal conviction - a minimum as an an accessory to a vicious attack, but based on what someone from Alice has told me, who knows the coppers who made the arrest, he will go for making the attack not just sitting back and watching it.

Don't believe the AFL industry spin on it and journo's who tippy toe around this. This has got nothing to do with white Australia not understanding black fellas. He broke black fella law by doing the payback incorrectly, and he also broke white man's law.

Watch Melbourne let him drift away with no real attempt to lure him back. They will make nice motherhood statements to the media, but there actions will be that they don't want anything to do with him.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

This says the court date is March, right before the start of the season. Which club would want that distraction and uncertainty?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a yes for me. Providing he is comitted and doesn't get any JT.

Yep, would have him. As long as Melbourne dont want Boak, Butcher, Gray and Hartlett for him.
He's out of contract, so he could technically just walk out without anything in return. Could see Rhodey doing a courtesy trade though. Wouldn't mind if we gave away Thomas and Logan tbh.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

This says the court date is March, right before the start of the season. Which club would want that distraction and uncertainty?

Didn't realise the court preecindings were this week. To me this is the telling point in the article

Jurrah's strict bail conditions were altered on Monday to allow the footballer to live in South Australia with his family over summer during the AFL season's break.

He will still be barred from returning to the Northern Territory except to attend court.

When was the last time you saw an individual accused of commiting a crime, issued with court orders to stay outside the state he/she committed the alleged offence????

As far as I'm concerned he can rest up over the preseason. Until he has had his day in court, my club should make no commitment to him and not pay him a single cent of any base payment he would received if he was drafted in the ND/PSD/RD and was taken under a standard AFL contract.

why is Andrew krakouer considered such a hero for going through his troubles then, people can change and Jurrah with family close and the right guidence could as well, also Last I read I didnt think it was a forgone conclusion that he would go to jail

I don't consider Andrew Krakouer a hero. That's the AFL industry - media and supporters not being prepared to confront the ugly truth.

I respect the fact he has served his time and tried to reform himself. But has he had the courage to meet with his vicitim and attempt to right his wrong??

I don't consider Andrew Krakouer a hero. That's the AFL industry - media and supporters not being prepared to confront the ugly truth.

I respect the fact he has served his time and tried to reform himself. But has he had the courage to meet with his vicitim and attempt to right his wrong??

To be fair, why should he? Meeting with the victim is just going to remind them of this episode in their life and nothing he can do is gonna make up for it, he did his time as punishment and all should move on. Victim can hate him for all time but he can't undo it

Didn't realise the court preecindings were this week. To me this is the telling point in the article

When was the last time you saw an individual accused of commiting a crime, issued with court orders to stay outside the state he/she committed the alleged offence????

As far as I'm concerned he can rest up over the preseason. Until he has had his day in court, my club should make no commitment to him and not pay him a single cent of any base payment he would received if he was drafted in the ND/PSD/RD and was taken under a standard AFL contract.

I think keeping him out of the NT was more to do with a similar attack against jurrah as a form of revenge, than anything to do with his guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back