Jurrah never made it to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the end of the day all I care about is that he play football well. if he misses out on 6month or so in jail and does his time then he's paid his price to society and not playing him because of this mistake is double punishment. We are a football club that's sole focus is to win games not judge people for past mistakes before we determine if we will give them an opportunity to prove their worth, it should be the other way around.

The guys family is in the middle of conflict up in the NT, its ridiculous to think we can "fix" him by bringing him to an AFL club. That he was going to just give up his family and his responsibilities as an aboriginal elder to kick a ball around... there will always be issues away from football.

Also, we've already tried building a forward line around players who can do party tricks, it didn't work.

Oh, and he'll be in jail.

Afl. Says.... Here's a priority pick but boys, you'll list jurrah too

Btw, and a lot of thing that might happen to kids, well rest assured I'd take a machete, and I'd point it in the other direction.... Never mind chop the head I'd be...

With no reference to this case.

Jurrah will be going to jail not to another AFL club.

I am in favour of payback. Most times payback is a shit load better than white man's law and locking them up.

But payback doesn't involve getting drunk on VB and using a machette.

There is nothing traditional about a machette, it's not an indigenous weapon nor is booze. Payback is a done by elders in a calm ritual manner. Jurrah is out of jail because the NT magistrate made a common sense decision and got him out of town. His cousin is rotting in jail and his victim still has scars on his head and body from the machette blows to his head and body.

The club shouldn't waste a second of time on him.

He who is without sin, cast the first stone.......give him a second chance, give him some anger management. I am sure that he has learnt some valuable lessons after this.

Our club can either let slip an oppertunity that will never swing past again like this, or it can embrace the issue to keep one of the most exciting players in this modern era, second to Rioli, Abblet, Buddy, nic-nat. Lets not forget Andrew Krouker.

I would be give him a second chance by helping him with the courts to get him commit the next 5 years to Port. Even though the actions that he may have done will all wash away when he kicks bags of goals and wins games off his own boot, not just from pure talent but also from his appreciation to the club who gives him that chance, that I have no doubt.

How much time could he get, what it is factor that into the contract, with out pay. Secure him the day he gets out.....PERIOD.

The guys family is in the middle of conflict up in the NT, its ridiculous to think we can "fix" him by bringing him to an AFL club. That he was going to just give up his family and his responsibilities as an aboriginal elder to kick a ball around... there will always be issues away from football.

Also, we've already tried building a forward line around players who can do party tricks, it didn't work.

Oh, and he'll be in jail.

The other thing that people don't understand, including Martin Flanagan to my surprise, or if he does, he is keeping mum to keep the he must stay in the AFL system story going - is that he wont be allowed back onto his country until this has all been resolved. And that would be eating him up. And that will affect the football he plays.

I had a sense of what being on country meant to Aboriginals because of the work I had done in the last couple of decades with a few Aboriginal groups but it wasn't until I spent almost 3 months up in Broome and the Kimberley last year that I got a good sense of what it meant to traditional Aboriginals. I spent time with Aboriginal elders and Aboriginal rangers and then spent time drafting up a Cultural Awarness Training program for the Jabirr Jabirr people to deliver to Woodside workers and sub contractors building the $30bil LNG plant at James Price Point 60km north of Broome. The Cultural Awareness Training was part of the big Agreement that took 4 years to negotiate. It was these visits with the elders to their country and listening to their stories and how they have to perform cultural activities thru the different seasons that I got to understand why they need to go to their traditional homelands and why those who live in and around Broome want to move away from Broome and back on country once the benefits of the Agreement flowed.

It's what us white blokes like to call going walkabout. Traditional Aboriginals will without notice to us white blokes drop everything and head out bush for a few days. When I sat in on meetings about drafting up different training programs for potential Aboriginal workers to work on constructing the LNG plant and then in the operational phase, this need to get on country and perform cultural rituals was being worked into the training programs and then potential work schedules as the construction of the LNG plant was a lock in site. Ie fly into Broome, get bused up to the work camp, live on site, workers can't leave it to go and run a muck in Broome like happens in Karratha, finish your time, get bused to the airport, fly out for your week off and then repeat then process. They were trying to draft a schedule that was flexible for the potential 300 Aboriginal workers from around the Kimberleys that Woodside set as their target to provide as the Indigenous workforce needed as part of the 6,000 man workforce in the construction phase.

Krakouer served his time, I believe the point REH was making that Jurrah hasn't served his time yet and therefore won't be on any list.

Jurrah's case hasn't been judged yet.

I'd take him if he came at no cost, the high reward / zero cost rule applies here.

As others have posted here, this would be one of those polls seemingly divided right up the middle.

I'm not normally one for condoning that we take troubled players and seriously have my doubts about how Jurrah's style of footballer contributes to ultimate premiership success. We've seen mercurial players tantalise and tease us for no meaningful long-term effect (Motlop, Cockatoo-Collins) and others form a major building block in our premiership side of '04 (both on the GF day and throughout that season - Picket, Wanganeen - although these two guys were so much more than just spectacular highlight reels).

On pure football grounds, we'd clearly be crazy not to look at him.
24 years old (perfect age profile for our group).
2.2 goal per game average from 36 games, with a career best season in 2011 of 40 goals from 18 matches.
Clearly would complement Schulz and what we think we have in Butcher, acknowledging that both of those two guys are known (Butcher at a very early stage of his career) for their work-rate and competitiveness.
He'd bring people to the football, and would certainly contribute to straightening us up.

Considering that we have perserved with Daniel Stewart on our list in "that" role and have painfully had to tolerate Brett Ebert stepping in again this year when Stewart and Butcher failed, Jurrah would be a very welcome addition to the forward mix and IMO would allow us to happily cut D. Stewart away.

From what we're hearing, he's fixed in Adelaide for the foreseeable future (i.e. 2013) and there are likely to be few if any other teams that will be able to secure his services next year. There is also the ridiculously clear mechanism to get him to our club via the PSD or rookie draft, the latter seeming more appropriate with potentially a latish pick.

So the downsides are the following:
1. Moral stigma of supporting a player in the criminal spotlight
- well one plus for us at present, is that although we've been ridiculed from pillar to post, we haven't been a club tainted with a bad boy image since the Hueskes, Peter Burgoyne days of the early 2000s and the Pickett troubles post 2004, ironically when we were going so well on-field.
2.Uncertainty about his playing availability in 2013 due to legal issues and uncertainty about his ability to perform reliably both during and after their resolution. Uncertainty about his long-term capacity to contribute to building a great side.
These are genuine concerns, but if the alternative is maintaining a list that includes players like Salter, D. Stewart, Webb, Thomas, Phillips, Logan, then I'd seriously look at taking the risk on Jurrah.

I think he would be far less likely to impact on the integrity and culture of our group than a high profile, public figure like Fevola or Cousins. What's the difference between him and Lovett? Shades of grey perhaps - I'd argue potentially fulfilling a really important role for us up forward and the not insignifcant fact that we won't have to pay anything in a trade to secure him.

As I have said I don't want him, but I will plot a course to get him and limit how much we have to pay him.

He signs a contract with the magpies for match payments only in October. He nominates for the draft. In mid December when the rookie draft is on, we leave one rookie spot vacant. Immediately after the rookie draft is finished we name him and 2 other players onto our rookie Training Squad on list ie invoke RULE 21.12.

We have to pay him $500/week.

He trains with us until the conclusion of the Pre-Season Competition when the AFL calls a Final Rookie Draft meeting (see Rule 21.12.3 (b)). Assuming the Pre-season Comp ends with the NAB Cup GF - that was 17th March 2012. So we assume the same next year ie approx 15th March 2013. His court case is on ...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

Excellent. Hopefully the club is clued in to this.

A lot can happen between now and March 2013. It will definitely help the club to make an informed decision.

I guess being ex military I accept that the courts hand down their punishment and then so does the ADF. Now I am a director of both public and private company's the courts would hand down their punishment, then I would be removed from a board. In short, being a director or a serviceman, I am expected to keep within community standards.

Playing AFL is a privilege and whilst the AFL keeps receiving government subsidies; all players and management should maintain community standards.

I am ex military too, but Jurrah is not, he is a footballer and should be allowed to continue his trade once he has been punished. In the military you go to the galsshouse for a few weeks and come back a better soldier, its not really too much of an extra punishment.

If he is not found guilty of a crime at all then he should be completely free to do what he wants. If he is punish him and let that be the end of it.

From a purely footballing point of view, he would be an immense signing for Port, particularly as he will effectively come at no cost.

I would do it and I think the club is right in considering this as an option. Obviously a lot of marbles need to line up for it to work for both parties but in principle it could be a win win situation. It also gives Port a chance to put its internal culture to the test.

Having said that, I find it interesting that the Crows have emphatically shut the door on Jurrah playing for them considering the essence of the Rendell saga earlier in the year. Maybe Bailey gave them some inside info on what they'd be dealing with?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets just hope jurrah doesn't eat from the same paddock pickett has been in if he does have time off from football

Really? I thought he was looking pretty good the last time I saw him in the flesh. Would have been a year or so ago though.

I would do it and I think the club is right in considering this as an option. Obviously a lot of marbles need to line up for it to work for both parties but in principle it could be a win win situation. It also gives Port a chance to put its internal culture to the test.

Having said that, I find it interesting that the Crows have emphatically shut the door on Jurrah playing for them considering the essence of the Rendell saga earlier in the year. Maybe Bailey gave them some inside info on what they'd be dealing with?

I think the Crows are just keen to avoid distractions coming into finals. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed their tune come the PSD.

Then again perhaps Bailey and Jurrah just didn't get along.

Those in favour of acquiring Jurrah are going to have a hard time convincing me there's a spot for another string bean forward. It's already bad enough that Westhoff needed to be moved up the ground in a roaming capacity enjoying a multi-year commitment from Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide took a step forward by dumping Motlop and his issues. What was the point of doing that if we're going to replace Motlop with Jurrah? At present, the club isn't run well enough to absorb any potential distractions or sideshows. In a few years perhaps, but not right now.

Three string beans in Butcher, Westhoff and Jurrah leaving Schulz to carry the load all by himself again. No thanks.

:thumbsu: Yep. Putting aside his legal concerns i dont think people realise how hard it is to keep this guy on the track. His medical bills alone would be enough to feed a small nation. You can nearly write the script. One or two games in the SANFL, then bingo, down with an injury. Liam pulls a soft tissue shadow boxing. With a 1000 plus hopefulls getting their paperwork ready for this years draft i think we can spend our time and efforts elsewhere.

The bottom line is, is that he is not and is unlikely to ever be committed to an AFL career.

My thoughts about getting Jurrah are the polar opposite to Moloney. I initially liked the idea of getting Moloney but then realised that with his age, not being able to get a game in a side worse than ours and keeping a young fella out just doesn't seem like a good fit. When the idea of Jurrah was first announced I coughed up a little bit of sick in the back of my throat but with further thought if he can get his off field matters sorted out the reality is that he is a seriously taltented footballer at an age where he can really have an instant and long term impact. I also don't think that he would be a distraction of the Fev/cousins/Acker type proportions as (from an outsiders view) he appears to be a fairly insular sort of fella.
Anyways, lots of water has to go under the bridge but I'd be wiling to give him a go.

Those in favour of acquiring Jurrah are going to have a hard time convincing me there's a spot for another string bean forward. It's already bad enough that Westhoff needed to be moved up the ground in a roaming capacity enjoying a multi-year commitment from Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide took a step forward by dumping Motlop and his issues. What was the point of doing that if we're going to replace Motlop with Jurrah? At present, the club isn't run well enough to absorb any potential distractions or sideshows. In a few years perhaps, but not right now.

Three string beans in Butcher, Westhoff and Jurrah leaving Schulz to carry the load all by himself again. No thanks.
The difference between Motlop and Jurrah is that Motlop always tried to put on a show, whereas Jurrah just does what seems to come naturally and is the show when it clicks.

The difference between Motlop and Jurrah is that Motlop always tried to put on a show, whereas Jurrah just does what seems to come naturally and is the show when it clicks.
I wasn't much for Motlop but he was a better footballer than Jurrah ever will be. I have no interest in Jurrah and would prefer the club put its resources into signing stable players, preferably midfielders with upside.

Forget the x factor show pony crap for the next few years. The club needs to get back to basics and develop the list through 2014/2015.

I wasn't much for Motlop but he was a better footballer than Jurrah ever will be. I have no interest in Jurrah and would prefer the club put its resources into signing stable players, preferably midfielders with upside.

Forget the x factor show pony crap for the next few years. The club needs to get back to basics and develop the list through 2014/2015.
I'm not sure that you got my point - IMO, Jurrah doesn't do the show pony stuff like Mots, what he does comes naturally.

OMG! Our club has told us that first and foremost anyone who plays for the club needs to be of 'good charachter'. How can we then recruit Jurrah and continue the same line? Dont get me wrong i love the way he plays and think it would be great to get in some desperately needed talent - but not that desperate..... I think we would be asking for trouble.

I'm not sure that you got my point - IMO, Jurrah doesn't do the show pony stuff like Mots, what he does comes naturally.
I understood your point and don't believe it to be strong enough to change my opinion of Motlop, Jurrah and the baggage associated with either. The truth of the matter is I have no interest in Liam Jurrah. If we do sign him, it's the typical I'm in over my head and need to bring in names to make it look like I know what I am doing Rohde move. There's no value in it for Port Adelaide and I'm going to feel sorry for the new coach with that inept fool continuing in his position.

The next few seasons are a grind. I'm not interested in x factor players. We already have Robbie Gray and Chad Wingard. Moving forward it's about getting 45 odd guys to know a game plan inside out playing their specific roles across the next 2-3 seasons. I'll happily wear that progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back