Just confirmed on Fox - Swan to stay a PIE

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be great if Collingwood can hold on to all three.

Losing Harbrow hurt, but I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a clear league leader such as Swan or Ablett would be like for a club that has put in the hard yards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dayne Swan - Magpie for life

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...stern-sydney-bid/story-e6frf9jf-1226026384080

DANE Swan will remain a Magpie for life after agreeing to a long-term contract.

The three-time Copeland Trophy winner will today confirm his re-signing, which will make him the highest paid player at Collingwood.
The terms, which include a rollover of this year's deal, are expected to extend over four years.
Swan was in the Herald Sun's Rich List this month as earning $600,000- $700,000 this year.
His new deal is tipped to send him past $700,000, putting him in the AFL's top pay bracket.

Re: Dayne Swan - Magpie for life

Apparently the "big three" targets now comprise Pendlebury, Thomas and Reid. Given that both Pendles and Thomas have openly stated that they want to stay at Collingwood one would imagine the heat will be on Reid.

P.S. Still highly unlikely GWS will manage to sign any of Collingwood's top players but they might entice someone like Reid if they're happy to pay top price.

Re: Dayne Swan - Magpie for life

Apparently the "big three" targets now comprise Pendlebury, Thomas and Reid. Given that both Pendles and Thomas have openly stated that they want to stay at Collingwood one would imagine the heat will be on Reid.

P.S. Still highly unlikely GWS will manage to sign any of Collingwood's top players but they might entice someone like Reid if they're happy to pay top price.

May be some merit to this idea in terms of who GWS can realistically target with their not so hard earned money. ( tbh I don't know what Ben Reid's contract situation is).

The only "evidence" thus far that Pendles or Daisy will leave is that a few other players have done something similar in the past. I see no signs at this stage that either of them are seriously considering leaving, and I put more stock in their word as they've given us no reason not to. The fact that other players from other clubs may have said one thing and done another is nigh on irrelevant. Each player is a different case.

So with that being said, there may be something to what you say... It may be the next tier of unsigned players that GWS throw money at.

sorry, but we have seen it before player X comes out and says i want to be a 1 club player blah blah only for a few months later to chase the extra dollars elsewhere or go home to thier home state.
I use former crow Tyson Stenglien as an example was touted as future captain of the club, said the exact same phrase as I listed above only to sign with WCE a few months later.
Until its signed,sealed and delivered its all hearsay IMO.

Pickers would find a way around such as "the intention was to stay at Collingwood, but the offer was just too good for Dane/Dale/Scott (whichever may sign with GWS) to turn down.
The problem with all of that is that none of these guys comes from Sydney nor would they have any other reason to go other than money alone. Stenglein went home and history says that no marqee player of the stature of Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas has left a club in recent times for money alone.

The media will huff and puff and opposition fans will do the same but the chances of any of those 3 boys leaving the Pies are virtually zero although they will very definitely use the situation to pump up their contracts at Collingwood. In reality, GWS are probably already setting their sights on someone more like Reid than those guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just confirmed on Fox - Swan to stay a PIE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back