Just talked to Garry Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
G'day everyone, just thought you might like to hear a few thoughts from our former skipper.
He was in town today to talk at a fundraiser and I managed to get 10 mins of one-to-one with the great man.
Basically this is how he sees things:
  • Reckons Brock is a natural leader at the club and should be captain either this year or next. Says he is the hardest trainer at the club (surprised me a bit) and has the respect of the whole playing group. Said Brock had "Luke Hodge-like qualities".
  • Can handle another year near the bottom as he believes our kids will be able to challenge for a flag in "three to four years"
  • Says getting back to the MCG is great, it's our "spiritual home" and we need to further strengthen the links.
  • Believes having a Casey training base will be great in terms of tapping into the emerging market for more supporters and for the players ("Since when I started in 1984, there's been no permanent training base").
  • Says the new board is doing a brilliant job.
  • Still harbours ambitions to coach but with each year it's getting less and less likely.
  • Recons Ben Cousins would be worth the risk if a club took him, but it'd have to be a club on the verge of a flag.
Apart from that, it was just great talking to the bloke...very, very charismatic and thoughtful fella too.

If our finances get any worse, and Bailey happens to get the sack, rest assured Garry will step up to the plate and take on the coaching job.

It will be the only thing left to do.

Good to see him back in Brock, surely its only a matter of time.

Still think that the time is not right yet for Brock to be appointed captain,he is coming off two ordinary years mainly due to injury,lets just get him back to playing his best football first for not one but two or three years consistantly then he would be the perfect fit for the role,my choice for the next captain would be Brad Green!

Still think that the time is not right yet for Brock to be appointed captain,he is coming off two ordinary years mainly due to injury,lets just get him back to playing his best football first for not one but two or three years consistantly then he would be the perfect fit for the role,my choice for the next captain would be Brad Green!

Are you for freaking real????
After he shops himself around and the whole saga of will he or wont he sign. You want to make him captain?

If our finances get any worse, and Bailey happens to get the sack, rest assured Garry will step up to the plate and take on the coaching job.
This may happen if we're 0-11 next year - which I think is a distinct possibilty given that we only play 2 teams that missed finals (Richmond who are improving and West Coast at Subiaco)

2007 was bad due to injury, 2008 came 2nd in the bnf after only playing 13 and half games thats not a ordinary, that is a super year. But yes i would like to see him play a year fully fit imagine what he could do!

Give Brock the captaincy he is the right man for the job, but i can see the club giving it to bruce for 1-2 years! After the "loyalty" Green showed us during trade peroid he would be at the bottom of my list for MFC captain next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just talked to Garry Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back