Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

JL has his detractors but surely people see the upsides.

It's incredibly telling that we've brought in players considered delist fodder and turned them into genuine footballers - Jordan Clark, Jeremy Sharp, Corey Wagner, Will Brodie in 2022, James Aish to an extent.

Development of draftees has accelerated at a rate faster than Lyon ever managed, I feel far more confident under JL that a debutant will adapt far quicker to the intensity of AFL than under Lyon.

Then have a look at some of our players who've left and underperformed with other teams.

Good crew of assistants too, just remember 5 years ago we had Anthony Rock, David Hale, Brent Guerra etc. Incomparable to what we have now.

It's incredibly telling that we've brought in players considered delist fodder and turned them into genuine footballers - Jordan Clark, Jeremy Sharp, Corey Wagner, Will Brodie in 2022, James Aish to an extent.

Development of draftees has accelerated at a rate faster than Lyon ever managed, I feel far more confident under JL that a debutant will adapt far quicker to the intensity of AFL than under Lyon.

Then have a look at some of our players who've left and underperformed with other teams.

Good crew of assistants too, just remember 5 years ago we had Anthony Rock, David Hale, Brent Guerra etc. Incomparable to what we have now.

Agree with the sentiment but Clark and Aish were miles off delist fodder.

Got the best out of Acres and Lobb though.

Agree with most of what you said but J Clark was never delist material. Geelong very much wanted to keep him. He was just impatient & knew he would start with us. And he wanted to come home.

the guys a genius.
the development of players signifies he understand both how to identify a persons strength then to put them in a position to succeed. all within an ecosystem which wins freo games.
plus, with young people development is often about identifying what they need to work on. then figuring out how to get them to suceed at that.

genius

the guys a genius.
the development of players signifies he understand both how to identify a persons strength then to put them in a position to succeed. all within an ecosystem which wins freo games.
plus, with young people development is often about identifying what they need to work on. then figuring out how to get them to suceed at that.

genius

Hamling told me that his media-persona was nothing like how he is in person. A key difference between Lyon and JL was that although Ross was also relationship focused, he tended to have his favourites and he wasn't always the greatest listener. JL apparently gives a bit to everyone, and is an incredible listener - but also follows up with meaningful advice.

I reckon someone like Neale would've stayed under JL for the sheer fact he would've been heard out more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's released the shackles in the 2nd half of this year. You can tell by the drop off of defender possessions.

Suspect it has a lot to do with the tall forwards halving and winning contests regularly. Gives us the confidence to move the ball.
It's definitely changed a bit, we've been switching through the backline a lot less.
Some of it has been teams trying to restrict it in certain cases, but it looks like we're consciously also making other decisions.

Credit to Taylor she's always been big on the difference our marks make and that was very true yesterday, a couple of those hard contested on the lead marks come out and we're a few goals down I reckon.

the guys a genius.

genius
Coupled with the genius that is Walls who first identifies the talent to recruit, we can’t lose.

The Roar seem to love JL.
Nah, there’s one paid columnist (Dem) who rates Freo / JL but the rest don’t really. There’s another (Liam) who’s a Freo supporter, but he doesn’t do any columns, I don’t think. That’s the first really positive piece that Tim has written. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I reckon it’s a great analysis too.

Nah, there’s one paid columnist (Dem) who rates Freo / JL but the rest don’t really. There’s another (Liam) who’s a Freo supporter, but he doesn’t do any columns, I don’t think. That’s the first really positive piece that Tim has written. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I reckon it’s a great analysis too.
It's probably cognitive bias since people only post the positive stuff here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back