Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This is exactly why some people cautioned a wait and see approach after the Melbourne game instead of pouring on the hero worship. Big wins like that mean nothing if you can't back it up against a bog ordinary opponent. All the big questions marks still hover over his head.
Yeah sadly reminds me of the Chris Connolly era of 2002-07, specifically 2004-5 when we narrowly missed out on finals in both years. We have impressive wins one week and shockers the next. You can't tolerate that if your side makes finals but not when your side finished 9th or 10th or any spot narrowly outside the finals spot

I won't deny that. It works on certain sides. Still.... I am not trying to sound bitter or negative.

We got belted by the dogs today
Yep, todays game plan sucked, tried to run it through the corridor again and kept tuning it over in dangerous positions, would have been nice if the midfield had contributed, but the fact Sharp got so few possessions shows we tried something different on the smaller Marvel ground and didn’t have the mongrel needed at the contest to make it work.

Yeah sadly reminds me of the Chris Connolly era of 2002-07, specifically 2004-5 when we narrowly missed out on finals in both years. We have impressive wins one week and shockers the next. You can't tolerate that if your side makes finals but not when your side finished 9th or 10th or any spot narrowly outside the finals spot

Imagine if Lyon had got his hands on that list. Would have been a very different story.

Sadly, J-lo is not our man. He's got a list but he has no answers.

JL said there were plans for Bont pre-game. Were those plans to give him acres of space and let him tear us to shreds when the game was still up for grabs?

It was clear there was no one on him early in the game when he started to threaten, even the commentators were picking it up. Where were his adjustments? Could have sent Aish to curb him like he did Oliver a few years ago. Since Aish was doing nothing. Sorry but 'back the boys in' doesn't cut it as a head coach.

I got the sense JL was happy with how the bulldogs game played out 7 weeks ago and just had the same instructions thinking it would play out the same. Not good enough.

Imagine if Lyon had got his hands on that list. Would have been a very different story.

Sadly, J-lo is not our man. He's got a list but he has no answers.
Pretty hard to imagine that one. The only way Lyon would have a list like that is if he inherited it.

Had he stayed with us I doubt we would get to have this list

JL said there were plans for Bont pre-game. Were those plans to give him acres of space and let him tear us to shreds when the game was still up for grabs?

It was clear there was no one on him early in the game when he started to threaten, even the commentators were picking it up. Where were his adjustments? Could have sent Aish to curb him like he did Oliver a few years ago. Since Aish was doing nothing. Sorry but 'back the boys in' doesn't cut it as a head coach.

I got the sense JL was happy with how the bulldogs game played out 7 weeks ago and just had the same instructions thinking it would play out the same. Not good enough.
Everyone that played on him got out run, out bodied and outclassed.

Looking forward to a couple of weeks time and JL's refusal to again tag Warner and see him cut loose against us.

Looking forward to a couple of weeks time and JL's refusal to again tag Warner and see him cut loose against us.
He said he tried to tag Bont but it didn't matter because they got us on the outside. No-one was good enough to stop him on the day. We did ok against him the last time when they didn't have Libba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said he tried to tag Bont but it didn't matter because they got us on the outside. No-one was good enough to stop him on the day. We did ok against him the last time when they didn't have Libba
Leg speed has to be a concern?
What is the plan once Fyfe, Walters retire?
Our midfield lacks pace, we have Sharp on one wing but the other is a
hybrid role.
So you’d think we would be a tackling machine, when things don’t go our way.
No speed and no tackles?
Where is the improvement going to come from?
Seems like we are still very predictable, and it could get worse next year unless we
Trade someone in. It’s the only way JLo keeps his job, and he has only got himself
to blame.
Small forwards, Medium forwards, players that are multi positional and a midfield
that is set in concrete.
Maybe its time to drop a big name, ie. Brayshaw back to Peel etc, and start to
reward good wafl form.
Players who have deserved a game on form, and maybe rested a few who are
At each spectrum of the age scale.

Also you think someone is “miserable” and your response to their “misery” is to lob constant personal attacks against them? That says a lot about you.
Perfectionist expectations lead to misery though.

We're still a young side on a journey and whether we end up where we want to, ups and downs are par for the course. Collapsing into categorically bleak expectations when things don't go to plan ain't a logical response.

Serious question - to all those that thought JL wasn't the guy and should be replaced, what is your current thinking?

Do you still have concerns or are you wavering? Or have you done a complete 180 and jumped on board?

This is not a "told you so" post...I'm genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts.

The final in 2022 doesn't count?

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind btw. Hell, I'm not 100% sure JL is the right guy myself, even though I have never been in the sack him in 2024 camp. This young group needs some continuity and starting with a new coach this year would have been a step backwards.

I'm only trying to gauge what people think he has to do to remain the coach in the medium future.

Where do you stand now?

The teams we have beaten so far this year are North (18th), Richmond (17th), Adelaide (15th), St Kilda (14th), Brisbane (13th), Melbourne (11th), Bulldogs 9th with a draw against Collingwood (3rd).

So it looks like we are beating the teams we should be beating but it is a huge concern that we are still having games against sides IMO we should be beating like the Bulldogs and West Coast where we should be winning and are getting pole-axed.

Top 4 looks out of reach for us this year in my opinion.

My gut says the coach isn't on track to win a flag despite the young list, there is just something missing. I believe the club should make a call at the end of this year, either he is the guy to win us a flag and extend him by another 2 years OR cut our losses now and get in the next best candidate.

Where do you stand now?

The teams we have beaten so far this year are North (18th), Richmond (17th), Adelaide (15th), St Kilda (14th), Brisbane (13th), Melbourne (11th), Bulldogs 9th with a draw against Collingwood (3rd).

So it looks like we are beating the teams we should be beating but it is a huge concern that we are still having games against sides IMO we should be beating like the Bulldogs and West Coast where we should be winning and are getting pole-axed.

Top 4 looks out of reach for us this year in my opinion.

My gut says the coach isn't on track to win a flag despite the young list, there is just something missing. I believe the club should make a call at the end of this year, either he is the guy to win us a flag and extend him by another 2 years OR cut our losses now and get in the next best candidate.
I'm still on the fence, but if I have to toss a coin for JL's career, I'm sticking with him for two reasons.

1. We are still young and one of the clear characteristics of young sides is inconsistency. Yes, we haven't beaten any of the power sides, but we have come close, an in a season as tight as this, those close losses are going to be magnified.

2. I think about coaches like Bomber Thompson and Hardwick and how easy it would have been to sack them as they were slowly developing young sides. Both had 6-7 years before any real success and it must have taken some real fortitude at Board level to stick to the plan and balance the short term inconsistency, with longer term goals.

I have no idea if JL will ever coach us to a flag, but if there was a gun to my head and I had to make quick decision, I'd stick with him. Longer term stability in clubs has been more successful than reacting to short term pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back