Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We have the talent and the team to do it, the team we have is very good, it just needs to be healthy and they need to take advantage of their opportunities.
we have won games we didnt think we would win

We have lsot games we thought we would win

So the one thing we need is to be consistently GOOD

we have won games we didnt think we would win

We have lsot games we thought we would win

So the one thing we need is to be consistently GOOD
The team has shown it's good enough to take it to the top teams, once the inconsistencies are flattened out, we bring in an elite talent in Bolton in, we look very scary.

I've crunched the numbers and I have us making a preliminary final from here.
142649.jpg

I predicted on BigFooty we would finish 9/10th this season based on the experience of the list. Honestly though, our form surprised me this year and we should have locked in a finals spot. No one saw the emergence of Treacy which really rocketed us forward.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom but there are warning signs for JLo. I don't think it's a coincidence that JLo's contract and Scott's contract both end in 2025. I would speculate that the club is waiting to see how the 2025 season turns out.
You want finals, you are guaranteed that Scott would be the difference to our list to take that leap.
Instead we will have deflection with Bolton, Baker. Etc, that will bring success.
No doubt they are important, but that would be patching the cracks in our
coaching and development and preseasons of training the house down😜
Then you have a game-plan, training that crumbles under pressure and a team
that refuses to tackle.

You want finals, you are guaranteed that Scott would be the difference to our list to take that leap.
Instead we will have deflection with Bolton, Baker. Etc, that will bring success.
No doubt they are important, but that would be patching the cracks in our
coaching and development and preseasons of training the house down😜
Then you have a game-plan, training that crumbles under pressure and a team
that refuses to tackle.

I think the lack of tackling is us protecting the defense. Playing extra numbers behind the ball.

If we bring in Bolton and baker and we are not deep in finals next year then JL is a 100% goner.

Surely even his most ardent supporters can’t disagree with that?
Barring an injury crisis, finals is the pass mark regardless.

There are probably scenarios where we miss and he stays but I think they're all unlikely.

If we bring in Bolton and baker and we are not deep in finals next year then JL is a 100% goner.

Surely even his most ardent supporters can’t disagree with that?
Are there ardent supporters who wouldn’t want him replaced if there was a better option available?
Give us a better option who can step in immediately & supporters would be all over it.

Are there ardent supporters who wouldn’t want him replaced if there was a better option available?
Give us a better option who can step in immediately & supporters would be all over it.
The club will be backing him in as their man at this stage. And so they should. We just took the 2nd youngest team on the weekend to GWS and were in it up to our eyeballs…and if not for youngsters doing youngster things, could very well have pinched it.

I’d imagine there’ll be a contract extension in the works. Maybe early next season if things are looking solid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah i'm on the train. i think he gets us our first premiership. but I get impatient. i know our list might peak in 5 years. thats annoyingly long.

The best coach is the one with the best list.

Exhibit A. The best coach of the modern era Clarkson with North’s list.

Exhibit B. An inanimate carbon rod could create goals for The Bont kicking it to Darcy, JUH & Norton.

Exhibit C. Heeney, Warner & Gulding are having career best numbers & Sydney flog all comers.

People say Hale couldn’t coach our forwards when the best he had was Taberner.
Now we have the triple J’s & Sturt with Treacy having a breakout season & suddenly we can score.

It’s not rocket surgery.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best coach is the one with the best list.

Exhibit A. The best coach of the modern era Clarkson with North’s list.

Exhibit B. An inanimate carbon rod could create goals for The Bont kicking it to Darcy, JUH & Norton.

Exhibit C. Heeney, Warner & Gulding are having career best numbers & Sydney flog all comers.

People say Hale couldn’t coach our forwards when the best he had was Taberner.
Now we have the triple J’s & Sturt with Treacy having a breakout season & suddenly we can score.

It’s not rocket surgery.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
or rocket science but i knew what you meant;)

Comparing Ross vs JL is getting boring.

Ross walked into a club with the majority of the squad in their prime - the incredible drafting period 07-09 (Fyfe, Barlow, Walters, Hill, Ballantyne etc) were exciting and hitting their straps + the experienced A-graders in Pavlich, Sandilands, McPharlin, Mundy, Johnson etc meant that we should've been contending as soon as Ross arrived. We underperformed in 2011 after an exciting 2010 campaign and injuries cruelled us but Harvey was never the right man.

Ross utterly butchered the rebuild - the culture at Freo was so toxic circa 2017-19 that Neale walked from the club in disgrace, no disrespect to the recently fallen but Yarran (RIP), McCarthy (RIP), Balic (RIP), Kersten, Blakely and a few others really didn't set the standard of where Freo should be. Hogan was a basketcase when he joined us, many other players came and went and our injury crisis was like the bubonic plague.

You simply can't compare the two eras - I'm really annoyed we've only had 1 finals series in 5 years but JL had to build us up from scratch. In his time as coach Rory Lobb, David Mundy, Lachie Schulz, Jesse Hogan, Blake Acres, Griffin Logue, Liam Henry and a few others left the club and I reckon none of that can be blamed on JL whereas a few of them could be blamed on Peter Bell.

There is talent at this club but there are a few holes to plug & further development needed.

We need a classy small forward, that’s glaring.

We need at least 2 more mids. Sharp has done ok on one wing but the other wing is not settled yet.
Hopefully NOD settles into that role.

We are 1 break the lines mid short, Young, Brayshaw & Serong are carrying too much of the workload. We don’t have one coming through, our best 2nd tier mids are workhorses in Johnson, Erasmus & Brodie. Switta gives us run when in there but he doesn’t have the tank & is intermittent in his output.

Warner is the obvious one to compliment our mid group.

Our key forwards are only just getting started with Treacy just showing what he can do this year, Jye is still well below his best & Jackson is inconsistent but showed glimpses.

They will be amazing the more games they play & train together & gain further experience.

Our back up key forwards are handy but also young & inexperienced.

Our key backs have been tested but largely effective. The back ups are young & still learning the game.

Having McDonald & Cox out for most of the year was difficult & then to lose Pearce was a disaster because of that. Draper will be a very good player, but has a long way to go in regards to belief & consistency.

We have talent, our consistency this year was awesome with just quarters letting us down & 2 games to note. The rest we were pretty good & playing good footy.

Coaching wise, the coaching group made errors on & off the field. But as a whole had a pretty good year with a definite improvement in tactics & general demeanour. They have to learn like everyone else but with Graham knocking back WC interest shows they are committed.
Can anyone ITK say why Graham knocked back WC interest? Fair to surmise that Freo's current list and their prospects engages him more than those of Eagles. Could he therefore have a 'wait and hope' position re Freo's head coach role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back