Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone ITK say why Graham knocked back WC interest? Fair to surmise that Freo's current list and their prospects engages him more than those of Eagles. Could he therefore have a 'wait and hope' position re Freo's head coach role?
Not in the know but can see it for what the jobs worth. The next coach of WC isn't much more than a caretaker. They aren't rising fast, so the poor blokes probably got two and a half years max before getting sacked. Who'd take a job like that?

Can anyone ITK say why Graham knocked back WC interest? Fair to surmise that Freo's current list and their prospects engages him more than those of Eagles. Could he therefore have a 'wait and hope' position re Freo's head coach role?
From a coaching perspective, the WC job would be appealing to a first timer in one way as you could put your stamp on it pretty quickly with most understanding you’re going through a rebuild.

But there is so much unknown & if you take it on & lose Reid it will put you back another 12-24 months.
Personally I think Don Pykes role as CEO is not ideal for a new coach & you’d be wondering if he could seperate his on field/off field duties. I have no doubt one or two have decided against it because of him.

For Graham I think it’s completely Fremantle. Not often in your coaching career do you have the opportunity to be part of this sort of history. To walk away & watch it unfold, with all the work you put in would be devastating.

I’d never forgive myself.

Last edited:

The best coach is the one with the best list.

Exhibit A. The best coach of the modern era Clarkson with North’s list.

Exhibit B. An inanimate carbon rod could create goals for The Bont kicking it to Darcy, JUH & Norton.

Exhibit C. Heeney, Warner & Gulding are having career best numbers & Sydney flog all comers.

People say Hale couldn’t coach our forwards when the best he had was Taberner.
Now we have the triple J’s & Sturt with Treacy having a breakout season & suddenly we can score.

It’s not rocket surgery.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is that you Jako!!!

How about thinking outside the square & playing Aish forward? At least he has a functioning football brain unlike Banfield currently. Or play O’Meara as a forward & give NOD his wing back waxing with Johnson inside at center clearance.
Not gonna happen with our coaching panel.

This time last year I wanted guys like Nathan Wilson and Coyler up forward on a flank to see what they can do.

Not gonna happen with our coaching panel.

This time last year I wanted guys like Nathan Wilson and Coyler up forward on a flank to see what they can do.

It's a frustrating truth.

I remember when Barlow moved to Gold Coast he mentioned there was much more freedom than under Ross.

This seems like the exact same situation under JL.

I remember when Barlow moved to Gold Coast he mentioned there was much more freedom than under Ross.

To be fair, Gold Coast sucked complete balls so maybe Ross was onto something?

I'd hazard a guess there wasn't a lot of freewheeling outside of Dusty at the Tigers 17-20.

Last edited:

Ross & JL to a lesser extent are very structured coaches. They would be loathe to play players out of the position they’ve been training regularly for.

On playing forward, I would have loved to have seen Wagner play forward, he played there when he came into the AFL system & works hard to get to contests to support.

Ross & JL to a lesser extent are very structured coaches. They would be loathe to play players out of the position they’ve been training regularly for.

On playing forward, I would have loved to have seen Wagner play forward, he played there when he came into the AFL system & works hard to get to contests to support.
Did you miss his one set shot for goal earlier in the year. There’s a reason he’s flourishing down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good point.

But Saying that.

Whats the old saying? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Again... Funny we never gave Nathan Wilson a chance on a forward flank.

Then Again If a Guy Like Ross Lyon isnt going to change tactics if Freo kept making finals.

I remember the 2022 season fondly. But I noticed 2 things about Justin Longmuir when it regards to him rarely Changing anything.

1. Nathan fyfe didnt play one AFL game before our bye. So We spent 14 games with no Fyfe. And Fyfe didnt play in that elin final win vs the Dogs, Fyfe was injured.

2. Josh Treacy. Crazy to think or Say this now considering in 2024, He has kicked 45 goals and 15 behinds from 20 games. In 2022, Treacy only played 4 dockers games. He was injured for moast of the season. Even when he was fit, he struggled to get into the best 22. Justin Longmuir found a semi decent forward structure to work with.

We had a Solid Spread of goals despite Averaging 11 goals a game in 2022. Lobb lead the way with 36 goals. Schulz Kicked 30, Frederick kicked 28 goals. Walters played roatating on a wing and up forward and kicked 25 goals and 15 behinds. Taberner played only 13 games and still kicked 23 goals and 8 behinds.

Not in the know but can see it for what the jobs worth. The next coach of WC isn't much more than a caretaker. They aren't rising fast, so the poor blokes probably got two and a half years max before getting sacked. Who'd take a job like that?

If you apply for too many head coach roles and are not successful, then you get a stigma that there must be something wrong with your coaching ability.

An “experienced coach” who had coached a previous club hasn’t won a premiership since Mick Malthouse in 2010.
I will be in the minority. I might be the only one to even dare suggest this.

I can handle or tolerate Justin Longmuir for one more season. But if there is a Chris Scott or Brad Scott or even a Ken Hinkley or Adam Simpson available, I would take him

Actually wonder if Simpson would be line for bobs role?
(Head of AFLW and skills coach)

Or moving bob on, putting Corbett in there on less money, means Simpson can come on as a senior assistant.

Him and jl have a good working relationship already.

Another 30 years
We will love it ..
Only made finals only 8 times between 1995-2024.

Now to look forward to 2025-2054. I don't expect the dockers to win a flag. If Freo makes finals 10 or 11 times out of the next 30 years, then I can live with that.

I can tolerate a 4 or 5 year rebuild of not making finals as long as there is a bare minimum of a 2 or 3 year run of fonals at the end of a 5 year rebuild.

There's gonna be some rare good times from here on in.

Now to look forward to 2025-2054. I don't expect the dockers to win a flag. If Freo makes finals 10 or 11 times out of the next 30 years, then I can live with that.

I can tolerate a 4 or 5 year rebuild of not making finals as long as there is a bare minimum of a 2 or 3 year run of fonals at the end of a 5 year rebuild.

Finals are ok . but we need to win a premiership it is the only true validation

The Coolinmgwood. Essondon and Carlton clubs can rejoice in holding 16 cups each. MAybe some time before they win again but it great to have that history

Hopefully we win one before GWS or Suns do so we dont end up being the only club with none

For pride sack we got to win more than the WCE.

Absolutely being a fixture in finals (starting this year 🪵) for an extended period would be more than satisfying, if not almost expected.

I always figure the best recipe for premiership success is having 4 elite level KPPs. Two forward, two back. But even 2 elite KPFs and you're very well stocked.

Finals are ok . but we need to win a premiership it is the only true validation

The Collingwood. Essendon and Carlton clubs can rejoice in holding 16 cups each. Maybe some time before they win again but it great to have that history

Hopefully we win one before GWS or Suns do so we dont end up being the only club with none

For pride sake we got to win more than the WCE.
This club is being starved of any success. Again.... Barring a flag, I wished we made finals in 2005 and 2021.

It might not be much but making back to back finals in 2005-06 and 2021-22 would of stood out.

I just can't see Freo win a flag with our current situation.

If the dockers win a flag in 2028 and west coast wins a flag in 2029 and 2030, I won't care or complain.

I won't care how many flags the eagles have by the of this decade or next decade, I want Freo to win at least one. We all have copped much and have so much obstacles put Infront of us it's not funny

I 100% expect a flag from this group and if we don't win one it will be bitterly disappointing.
I wish I had your confidence.

I don't see Freo winning a flag with this group. There are so many factors going against us.

I still think Justin Longmuir will have that 8 to 10 year stint as coach.

I really hoped at worst we have a similar stint like Brad Scott at North Melbourne.

They made finals in 2012, 2014-6.

We made finals in 2022. Hoping we make finals in 2024-26.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back