Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This missed shots in the second quarter were when we lost the game, we had all the ascendancy but couldn’t put it in the scoreboard, it was like the Carlton and Port games at the start of the year, should have been 4 goals up at half time.
I watched a clip which showed some of the attempts at goal, they were horrific. We need to fix this ASAP otherwise it will be a repeat of the 2013 gf.

Last edited:
Tom Hawkins retires. What a champion he’s been.

I’d be on the phone to him tomorrow morning if I was freo to bring him across as an assistant coach.
Have spoken to a couple of people in Geelong footy club over the years and he’s regarded as the number one influence on everything they do so well over there. Supposedly an unbelievable leader off the field.

Would be surprised if every club in Victoria is not trying to get him involved in their coaching group.

I’d be on the phone to him tomorrow morning if I was freo to bring him across as an assistant coach.
Have spoken to a couple of people in Geelong footy club over the years and he’s regarded as the number one influence on everything they do so well over there. Supposedly an unbelievable leader off the field.

Would be surprised if every club in Victoria is not trying to get him involved in their coaching group.
Think Ellis said he's basically already locked in a job in Vic somewhere unfortunately. The lack of access to quality coaching talent is an extremely underestimated disadvantage of being a WA club

Agree completely. I’m pretty sure there are many Freo supporters who have immense respect for Tom. He has been an outstanding footballer and competitor.

West Coast fans on the other hand hold a different view. I can remember a serious incident several years ago involving Hawkins in a West Coast Home game. Tom was knocked out and just as disturbing as that event was the fact that as he was being stretchered off the field, the WCE fans booed him.

Pretty appalling stuff even for them.

Last edited:

He's not going to go into footy one would suspect as he already works as a farmer on his own farm.

I can't get over how flat we were after half time, at home in what was essentially an elimination final and we came out with zero effort or intensity. The game was lost in those 10mins and given the break was a chance for the coach to instill some fight I put the blame on JLo. No doubt he would have preached the just another game chat, play your role etc. This was the one time to go nuclear and fire the team up, what good is it being the calm and collected coach when you can't sting them with some fire when required.
Is there somewhere where it’s recorded at what point in the game free kicks were given ?
I feel it was around this time ?

I recall there was a run of them against us at some stage in the second half and it was a real momentum killer

I know it’s not an excuse and the overall free kicks were eventually balanced up but this was notable and had a very negative affect in our boys .

It was interesting to listen to Duffield on JL over the last couple of days.
In the most professional manner possible, he basically said if freo don’t make finals next year JL is toast.

Also went VERY hard on Sean Darcy. Duff has inside word in freo, h’s as in-the-tent as they come so I just wonder is there something to these claims that Darcy is not giving himself every chance of becoming an elite footballer?

The real question to ask yourself is, is the team not performing because of Longmuir's gameplan, or is the gameplan fine, and the players have just been failing to execute it?

The real question to ask yourself is, is the team not performing because of Longmuir's gameplan, or is the gameplan fine, and the players have just been failing to execute it?
The last bit.

Gameplan still needs some adjustments, more pressure etc. but was execution that let us down

Game plan is outdated. Just magically every single player can't play it? Nah. That's just bs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I find interesting is the crazy record of teams the week after playing us. I feel like it's too strong a trend over a full season to be a statistical anomaly. Wonder what it is.
Didn’t Chris Scott say we were easy to scout but incredibly difficult to counter. Must mean they have to run a shitload to do it.

If we're still not executing for the better part of 5 years, the gameplan is either too convoluted or poorly communicated or probably both.

Pretty rich for JL to ever say we're not executing well enough at this point. It all comes back to him, even if the gameplan is great, if we're not executing then we aren't training it properly during preseason and during the week. 5 years to instil it. It's not like he told them what the plan was a week ago.

Imagine we bring in Pickett and Bolton and still don’t make the finals? 🙈
The only person left defending JL on here by then will be WilloTree!
Doesn’t matter who they buy in, they have tried this model for 30 years, and the
only time we were a serious threat was when we tried to fix the coaching.
Freo has a soft underbelly, overpays in trades and doesn’t like to fully develop their
own.
The reason we did well in 2022 is that we added astute trades in Clark and Brodie.
We lose all 3 first round picks and it’s a huge gamble, looking at our history of
gambling it doesn’t bode well.
You look at the best run clubs in the AFL Cats, Hawks, and it’s the administration
that sets the standards.

This missed shots in the second quarter were when we lost the game, we had all the ascendancy but couldn’t put it in the scoreboard, it was like the Carlton and Port games at the start of the year, should have been 4 goals up at half time.
Absolutely, if we were 24 points up in a game we would never ever ever ever be beaten from that point. Impossible.

In the most professional manner possible, he basically said if freo don’t make finals next year JL is toast.

Also went VERY hard on Sean Darcy. Duff has inside word in freo, h’s as in-the-tent as they come so I just wonder is there something to these claims that Darcy is not giving himself every chance of becoming an elite footballer?
Making finals isn't enough to guarantee JLo IMO. If we're serious about winning a flag we need to be winning a final minimum. We can't be the best of the rest in 2025.

Giving Darcy a long-term deal and trading Meek is a list management failure. Spending so much of the list cap on two ruckmen is also a failure.
Darcy can be an elite ruckman - JL needs to tell him hes not playing until he gets his fitness in order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back