Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of monkey's claw wishing with the whole thing really.

"I wish we would become a high skilled team that can consistently hit targets in F50"

"Granted, however your goal kicking regresses significantly mitigating any gain from the efficiencies"
Again..... I remembered when Freo lost by 89 points to port in Adelaide oval back in round 2 in the 2017 season. Freo scored 8.8.56 but remarkably not have one mark inside 50 the whole game.

Might not be this year (did we really expect it to be?) but we are trending in the right direction. And if we can upgrade our forward line in the off season? Tasty
I agree with this. It just pisses me off we're still losing to teams like Carlton and Essendon.

We should have gone past the middle/lower end clubs this year at least.

I agree with this. It just pisses me off we're still losing to teams like Carlton and Essendon.

We should have gone past the middle/lower end clubs this year at least.
Agreed. The only loss that looks good in hindsight is Melbourne but even then I was still pissed off with that first up effort for round 1. Eagles and Brisbane were expected given where those respective teams are at but we shouldn't have thrown up the white flag so easily. Carlton and Essendon no excuses, we are better than both of them. For all the progress Longmuir and co have made there it feels like there's an underlying mental weakness about the team.

Disagree. We should be contending for finals this year, and certainly next.
The moment we decided that remaining a good team was all too hard and we "had" to rebuild was the moment we decided to waste the best years of guys like Fyfe & Walters, etc.

Its amazing they have stayed for as long as they have.

Agreed. The only loss that looks good in hindsight is Melbourne but even then I was still pissed off with that first up effort for round 1. Eagles and Brisbane were expected given where those respective teams are at but we shouldn't have thrown up the white flag so easily. Carlton and Essendon no excuses, we are better than both of them. For all the progress Longmuir and co have made there it feels like there's an underlying mental weakness about the team.

We're not better than anyone unless we beat them!

We're not better than anyone unless we beat them!
Yeah my comment was more out of frustration in that I think we should be better based on what all three teams have produced. To lose to them on the day in the manner that we did was bad.

Not sure how you can come to the conclusion we are "better" than Carlton given we haven't beaten them in a while.

A biased opinion that we are somehow special isn't actually relevant to the team's ability.

I agree. Carlton probably has more talent on paper than us & are further along the rebuilding path. They also have several key forwards. Essendon has brought in some real talent the last couple of years, has some elite mids & exciting forwards.
Not sure why we’re supposed to be outperforming them, especially when we can’t get a lot of our top end on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Lo never impressed me. He got the job because he kicked a goal after the siren, and nothing much more. He’s an assistant at best.
You're in good form - you've just called for sack Fyfe, Sack Bell and Longmuir is an assistant at best. Out of interest, what are your views on Suzie in accounts?

I agree. Carlton probably has more talent on paper than us & are further along the rebuilding path. They also have several key forwards. Essendon has brought in some real talent the last couple of years, has some elite mids & exciting forwards.
Not sure why we’re supposed to be outperforming them, especially when we can’t get a lot of our top end on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree on Carlton. They'd be miles in front if Curnow was available. Him not being keeps it closer.

We are better than Essendon though. Their pressure was prelim like and it still required us to kick horribly (which we are reliable at) to beat us at Marvel. At full strength we are much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about? These are my genuine opinions. Do you listen to talkback radio? I’m not the only supporter saying this stuff.

What are you talking about? These are my genuine opinions. Do you listen to talkback radio? I’m not the only supporter saying this stuff.
Well if your opinions are genuine, then you would have to be up there as the most pessimistic supporter going.

I do listen, and as a rule, the level of critical thought that goes into ramblings by most callers would be close to zero. Between it, BF and a lot of the journalists out there its just a big echo chamber where most people have the same opinion and think they came up with it themselves.

The moment we decided that remaining a good team was all too hard and we "had" to rebuild was the moment we decided to waste the best years of guys like Fyfe & Walters, etc.

Its amazing they have stayed for as long as they have.

Did we decide remaining a good team was too hard, or did we have to face reality that we weren't a good team anymore?

I mean, we dropped from top of the ladder to only winning 4 games the next year. That's not some minor blip that you can just bounce back from by tweaking a few things around the edges. And I bet the condemnation on here would have been 100 times worse if we'd not faced up to the reality of where we were at.

Hawthorn tried to convince themselves they were still a good team a few years ago when they added Mitchell, Wingard and co. How's that working out for them?

The IQ of your average talkback caller would barely be above room temperature. It's noticeable how relieved talkback hosts are when they finally get someone on who can actually present a coherent opinion.
Yeah but they provide comedy gold during trade radio. Still remember the Dean Towers and a 2nd round pick for Fyfe one back 3 or 4 years.

Did we decide remaining a good team was too hard, or did we have to face reality that we weren't a good team anymore?

I mean, we dropped from top of the ladder to only winning 4 games the next year. That's not some minor blip that you can just bounce back from by tweaking a few things around the edges. And I bet the condemnation on here would have been 100 times worse if we'd not faced up to the reality of where we were at.

Hawthorn tried to convince themselves they were still a good team a few years ago when they added Mitchell, Wingard and co. How's that working out for them?
Decisions made in-season in 2016 were a big part of the problem. We got off to a bad start and effectively gave up on the season, refusing to play our best team in otder to blodd young kids

We then commit to a rebuild -- commit to multiple years of losing -- in the hope of one day becoming good again because somehow losing lots means that "talent" will just walk through the door.

Personally I much rather prefer the approach of Hawthorn or Sydney

"So its down to Solomon or Sumich, I think we are all in agreeance Sumich would be the best choice. He might sound like the result of inbreeding between a truck driver and his sister but he got WA the U18s championship" proclaims board member 1.

Board members 2 through 4 nod in agreement with hushed murmuring

"5, what say you"

BM 5 forrowing their brow, staring at a picture of JL, mutters to their self "I just cant place it, where have I seen his face before"

BM 1: "5, we are waiting on you, we need unanimous approval before blowing the siren, what say you?"

BM 5's eye's widen, his mouth drops: "OH MY PAV, THAT'S IT"

BM 5 searches through their tattered old bag grasping desperately for their phone

BM 1: “What’s it 5, speak up man, explain yourself”

Finally, BM 5 feels the cold metallic rectangle that is the fountain of knowledge in the 21st century and eagerly pulls it into the light of day

“I REMEMBER NOW!” they exclaim, “I remember, don’t you see, it was him all along, it was always him”

BM 5 holds up JL’s most recent portrait, the phone next to it, a different picture on its screen one of a tall lanky man, embraced by the crowd, basking in glory.

The board gasps in unison

“How could we be so naive” BM 2 cries, head hung in shame.

“Well our decision is made” BM 5 proudly boasts

“That it is BM 5, that it is, I hereby proclaim Justin Longmuir, the boy who kicked a goal after the siren, to be the new coach of the Fremantle Football Club, long may he reign”

Decisions made in-season in 2016 were a big part of the problem. We got off to a bad start and effectively gave up on the season, refusing to play our best team in otder to blodd young kids

We then commit to a rebuild -- commit to multiple years of losing -- in the hope of one day becoming good again because somehow losing lots means that "talent" will just walk through the door.

Personally I much rather prefer the approach of Hawthorn or Sydney

Sydney committed to a pretty classic rebuild the last few years though - they just have the massive advantage of expediting it due to their academy.

And Hawthorn's entire dynasty came about because of a classic bottoming out rebuild.

Has somebody escaped from Facebook again? Or did someone on 6PR let it slip to the talkback callers that BigFooty exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back