Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not the only one saying it… that’s your justification?

yes, our young players need a few more seasons in the gym. We are also 6 months into a new S&C conditioning program, so it will be 12 months until results are seen.

Longmuir is highly regarded in the AFL system. He put together west coasts forward line, fixed Collingwoods backline and improved relations between coaching staff and players. There’s a reason why they went backward when he left, and people at C’Wood want him back.

Is he perfect? No, far from it. There is plenty to work on. He’s 18 months into the job though, and deserves the three years to see where this goes.

Please, alternate opinions are welcome, with some basis behind them. Some reasoning. Not just regurgitating what you hear on talkback.

"So its down to Solomon or Sumich, I think we are all in agreeance Sumich would be the best choice. He might sound like the result of inbreeding between a truck driver and his sister but he got WA the U18s championship" proclaims board member 1.

Board members 2 through 4 nod in agreement with hushed murmuring

"5, what say you"

BM 5 forrowing their brow, staring at a picture of JL, mutters to their self "I just cant place it, where have I seen his face before"

BM 1: "5, we are waiting on you, we need unanimous approval before blowing the siren, what say you?"

BM 5's eye's widen, his mouth drops: "OH MY PAV, THAT'S IT"

BM 5 searches through their tattered old bag grasping desperately for their phone

BM 1: “What’s it 5, speak up man, explain yourself”

Finally, BM 5 feels the cold metallic rectangle that is the fountain of knowledge in the 21st century and eagerly pulls it into the light of day

“I REMEMBER NOW!” they exclaim, “I remember, don’t you see, it was him all along, it was always him”

BM 5 holds up JL’s most recent portrait, the phone next to it, a different picture on its screen one of a tall lanky man, embraced by the crowd, basking in glory.

The board gasps in unison

“How could we be so naive” BM 2 cries, head hung in shame.

“Well our decision is made” BM 5 proudly boasts

“That it is BM 5, that it is, I hereby proclaim Justin Longmuir, the boy who kicked a goal after the siren, to be the new coach of the Fremantle Football Club, long may he reign”
that met expectations
Has somebody escaped from Facebook again? Or did someone on 6PR let it slip to the talkback callers that BigFooty exists?
if you look at his post history, someone has an incredible habit of only turning up during/after losses

An extra top ten to fifteen pick per year would be awesome.
To be fair we did get Liam Henry in that way.
But I agree that it seemed much quicker to bottom out in the 2000s and recover than nowadays due to the priority pick system. It’s gone the other way now and aligned with free agency, means rich clubs could go 10 or 15 years straight topping up and playing finals

To be fair we did get Liam Henry in that way.
But I agree that it seemed much quicker to bottom out in the 2000s and recover than nowadays due to the priority pick system. It’s gone the other way now and aligned with free agency, means rich clubs could go 10 or 15 years straight topping up and playing finals
Sydney's academy picks were from a much larger net and for a much longer period though. Top picks like Heeney, Mills and Blakey land there no matter where they finish on the ladder. Landing Campbell and Gulden also give that extra boost to their high picks when they finished lower too.

Sydney's academy picks were from a much larger net and for a much longer period though. Top picks like Heeney, Mills and Blakey land there no matter where they finish on the ladder. Landing Campbell and Gulden also give that extra boost to their high picks when they finished lower too.
Tbf Gulden was a bit later than some of those other picks

Agreed. The only loss that looks good in hindsight is Melbourne but even then I was still pissed off with that first up effort for round 1. Eagles and Brisbane were expected given where those respective teams are at but we shouldn't have thrown up the white flag so easily. Carlton and Essendon no excuses, we are better than both of them. For all the progress Longmuir and co have made there it feels like there's an underlying mental weakness about the team.
Yep - Carlton literally had 3 good players when we played them thanks to Silvagni butchering their list for years. Yet, somehow we turned Marc F*n Murphy into Peter Matera.

Essendon are at Year 1 of a rebuild. Embarrassing to lose to them when you consider we had our first choice midfield and our forward line was only missing blokes with less than 10 games.

The Essendon game really highlighted how neglectful we've been putting resources into our front 6. It stung a bit watching Jesse kick 4 in the same week as well. If Jesse had stayed with us we take the 4 points and go home. But, we look like a team with no plan to fix its front half now and no room to fix it during the season. Did we really need to take 2 defenders and a mid with our first 3 picks last year???

Crucial off-season coming up.

Hardwick coached Richmond to 8th place and 2 elimination finals defeats in his first 7 seasons. Thompson was on the verge of being sacked after missing finals for 4 out of his first 6 seasons.

They might be outliers and Longmuir may well be destined for the scrapheap, but it seems just a touch early to be figuring out when we should be knifing him.

Or we could go the Carlton route and sack after barely 2 seasons with an average list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many years are people willing to give Justin if we aren’t making finals?
Well it depends. I certainly don't think it makes sense to judge it now without knowing all the variables.

For example, "every club gets injuries" is just stupid. Having two fringe players out for 2 weeks is not the same as having 3/4 of your backline out for a month or more. Just pretending it is makes no sense. So you have to take anything like that into account.

Personally, I think he should be safe barring something drastic like finishing bottom 2. I don't expect us to improve (even though I think it is likely) as many other sides will show you it doesn't just happen because you think it should. Lots of teams seemingly improve out of sight having been middling for some time recently (Tigers, Dees, Port, Pies). I think we are doing the middling thing now and have been since 2019.

2023 there is no excuse beyond catastrophic injury. Its competitive finals or he goes.

Hardwick coached Richmond to 8th place and 2 elimination finals defeats in his first 7 seasons. Thompson was on the verge of being sacked after missing finals for 4 out of his first 6 seasons.

They might be outliers and Longmuir may well be destined for the scrapheap, but it seems just a touch early to be figuring out when we should be knifing him.

Or we could go the Carlton route and sack after barely 2 seasons with an average list.
Do you think that Hardwick would have stayed if he has another losing season?

We don't make finals this or next, he should be sacked.

It's outcome based industry.

Three years is enough time to make finals especially when the previous years was in rebuild.
Wasn’t his rebuild though, he’s playing players who were selected for another coaches style, which is just the way it is.

But Longmuir, despite being a defense first coach is trying to implement a quicker moving, more skilful offensive game plan to the previous regime & may (will) need to turn over players who were selected during the last rebuild.

As long as there is consistency & a clear improvement in game style, he should get at least 5 years.

Wasn’t his rebuild though, he’s playing players who were selected for another coaches style, which is just the way it is.

But Longmuir, despite being a defense first coach is trying to implement a quicker moving, more skilful offensive game plan to the previous regime & may (will) need to turn over players who were selected during the last rebuild.

As long as there is consistency & a clear improvement in game style, he should get at least 5 years.
It’s not as same as Noble at North Melbourne.

Noble is starting from scratch and JLo isn’t.

Making Finals in 2022 is a very reasonable goal to make.

We don't make finals this or next, he should be sacked.

It's outcome based industry.

Three years is enough time to make finals especially when the previous years was in rebuild.
The latest a decision would be made on his contract would be mid 2022 I reckon. Unless we have had a disastrous start to the season he would be offered an extension. Minimum 2 years. If we have had a disastrous start, throw the keys to Carr for a few laps around the oval and see if he has anything to offer.

What type of player makes the most successful coach.
The mean nasty win at all cost player ie Mathews, Clarkson, Lyon ,Scott , Barassi or the player with a more measured approach ie Teague, Longmuir, Simpson etc.

What type of player makes the most successful coach.
The mean nasty win at all cost player ie Mathews, Clarkson, Lyon ,Scott , Barassi or the player with a more measured approach ie Teague, Longmuir, Simpson etc.
Longmire can be nasty win at all cost. But he’s also shown to be measured, especially this season where he probably knew he would be gone if Sydney don’t produce.
Simpson has achieved the ultimate balance. But he has had so much support and hardly any pressure in his job.
Honestly believe being a Freo coach is a poisoned chalice in WA. Ross completely altered that tbh. An outsider, Victorian coming in puffing smoke.
JLo CAN change his approach but he’s going about it the Clarkson, Hardwick way. They took more then 3 years to get where they have. Wish Freo wouldn’t succumb to pressure and the media, allow that to happen too. It’s possible. Stuff results based business. Richmond tried that for 30 years- what good came of it?
The coach isn’t the issue at the club, to be fair. It’s the CEO and president. How they undertake the change and accountability much like Gale, Balme. Dale Alcock and Garlick have a long way to go to achieve anything sustainable

Further in the article, we’re ranked last in the AFL for tackles i50. Playing a forwardline of 2 talls and 4 smalls is basically useless.

get in another tall!
freo made finals from 2012-15, including a grand final in 2013 with An ageing FF in Pav at 191 cm, Chris Mayne at CHF at 187cm, Walters is a forward pocket at 175 cm and Ballantyne at the other Forward pocket at 173cm. Thats one kpf at 191 cm one 187 medium tall at CHF and a couple of 170-175 cm smalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back