Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this logic wouldn't every club be self-aware when they don't have the right pieces at the helm? I think it's a logical argument but one that doesn't happen in reality. Just look at West Coast, they have issues with the coach/CEO but still keep them around. We have a boys club just like the Weagles and if he's surrounded by 'yes' men than it won't be apparent.
Oh it totally relies upon your brass having a clue but if they don't, you're ****ed either way.

Getting someone like Balme would be great but I will caveat that I don't necissarily think you actually have to have tasted the ultimate to know what it takes. If you're getting close and had a close up look at the winner, you'd know the difference and a lot of the time it's just luck.
Here here!

And anyway what's the most important attribute for a coach?
...a good list!
...and we have got that!
...necessary but not sufficient , all the rest has to be there too.

Plenty of great coaches FAIL every year!

Is JL good enough?
I am happy to put that to the vote in 12 months time.

YOKAI!

Rewatching the game now, delightful ball movement the middle of the ground. If Longmuir can make this the norm next year then we will bounce back. Sturt has answered the call and is a staple now and OMera is giving enough, though not in the same league as Mundy. Wagner/Worner combo off half back looks threatening too. Hope that Henry stays..we need to replace Walters eventually. Treaty’s stats belying the full effect he has on games.

We will surge next year.
If we become as good and consistent as some of our wins this season, then yeah I hope so.

Define surge.... If you say up in the top 4... Unlikely but possible.

If you say Similar to last season where we somehow get 15 wins and play some tough but winning footy then I can see that.

This team has shown signs that they can make finals at 5th to 8th spot next season. But like this year its gonna be tight.

Dude needs to sort shit out faster. Too slow or stubborn to recognise we were playing too slow at the start of the year. Too slow to do something about the midfield that was getting its arse handed to it all year.

This has always been my greatest concern with the club. That those within the 4 walls don't actually know what a successful club looks like. Bell basically fell into one of the best teams of the 90's, won a flag and left. He wasn't there for the build. Also that was 30 years ago. The WB team that many of our coaches come from is an absolute outlier in terms of how you win a flag. They came from nowhere to get up and hardly built a sustained dynasty re Geelong, Hawks, Richmond. It's why(IMO) if/when Bell goes, we throw everything at Neale Balme. He knows how to win flags. Mark Williams is in the same category.
That dogs winning period coincided with Graham Lowe being their GM. They went backwards when he left.

Balme at Richmond I think is more of an example of the board getting things right. The year before their first premiership in the threepeat, they brought in Balme and changed up the assistant coaches. Our board would need the vision to do the same.

Next year J Lo will be his fifth year.

Recent history suggests that if you don’t win a flag in the first six years, you won’t win.

We need to be top 4 next year or he should be sacked. It’s about results and what you personally think about the coach.
Hardwick won his first flag in his 8th season (after a very disappointing 7th season).

If we become as good and consistent as some of our wins this season, then yeah I hope so.

Define surge.... If you say up in the top 4... Unlikely but possible.

If you say Similar to last season where we somehow get 15 wins and play some tough but winning footy then I can see that.

This team has shown signs that they can make finals at 5th to 8th spot next season. But like this year its gonna be tight.
IF we had played to demonstrated form in matches against North, Saints, Tigers, and Sydney...
We would now be sixth...
So ...for mine ...
"Top Four in Twentyfour " is better than unlikely!

We will have 500 more games under those kids belts at the start of next season, its a test!

YOKAI!

Mundy was playing. He wasn't injured. That was the game he gave Liam Ryan the phantom helping hand.

I get your point about the personnel changes in that time frame, but since that Derby win in 2021, Mundy is also included in a list of 9 players from that game that have either retired, been traded or have been delisted.
I am Looking at that 23 man side that beat the eagles late in 2021....

Yeah you are right, a fair bit of them are gone through retirement, deslistment or trade....

David Mundy retired.

Brett Bewley, Connor Blakely, Adam Cerra, Mitch Crowden, Griffin Logue, Lloyd meek, Darcy Tucker and Tobe Watson either delisted or traded.
Next year J Lo will be his fifth year.

Recent history suggests that if you don’t win a flag in the first six years, you won’t win.

We need to be top 4 next year or he should be sacked. It’s about results and what you personally think about the coach.
Recent history is Irrelevant. Bomber Thompson was appointed cats coach in 2000, was nearly sacked in 2006, wins a flag in 2007 and 2009. So his 8th season.

Michael Malthouse was magpies coach in 2000. got them to grand finals in 2002-3. Grand finals in 2010-11. got a flag in 2010. So 11 year wait for a flag.

Damien Hardwick was richmonds coach from 2010-23. Had a slow build up. was nearly sacked atthe end of 2016. wins a flag in 2017, 2019 and 2020. 8th season he got his 1st flag.

You said freo needs to be top 4 next year or he should be sacked? LOL.

If dockers make finals next season, Justin Longmuir gets a 2 year extension.

He will definately gets an extension if he repeats similar results of last season in making finals and winning an elim final.

IF we had played to demonstrated form in matches against North, Saints, Tigers, and Sydney...
We would now be sixth...
So ...for mine ...
"Top Four in Twentyfour " is better than unlikely!

We will have 500 more games under those kids belts at the start of next season, its a test!

YOKAI!
Yeah the North, saints, tigers and Brisbane narrow losses costs us a spot in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With this logic wouldn't every club be self-aware when they don't have the right pieces at the helm? I think it's a logical argument but one that doesn't happen in reality. Just look at West Coast, they have issues with the coach/CEO but still keep them around. We have a boys club just like the Weagles and if he's surrounded by 'yes' men than it won't be apparent.
Looking at west coast.....

Of all the problems they have got, The coach is not the problem. Adam Simpson is a decent coach. The bloke has been there since 2014. They had a good finals run in 2015-20. Thats 6 years in a row of finals, 2 grand finals and 1 flag. I would love that at the dockers.

The playing squad is the Issue. Its Stale, old and beaten down. The playing squad needs a bunch of fresh talent to be exciting again.

They didnt have access to top 5 or top 10 picks due to making finals each year from 2015-20. No different to us when Freo made finals in 2012-5.

Its No different to West coast under John Worsfold from 2002-2013. Eagles had their 6 year run of finals from 2002-7. Made 2 grand finals and got a flag as well. They had to rebuild an ageing squad in 2008-10.

They made finals in 2011-12 off the back of the veterans of Kerr, Embley, Lynch, Glass etc.

Worsfold walked out in 2013 when they got bottom 6.

As I said, the eagles side is old and stale.

I dont see them making finals in 2024 or 2025.

Crows historically never spent 5 years in a row not making finals before the 2017 grand final. They havent made finals in 2018-22. The crows could make it in 2023.

But it seems theres a common trend, you make finals with an ageing squad, enjoy it. Because eventually you will fall and have to rebuild eventually.

Dude needs to sort s**t out faster. Too slow or stubborn to recognise we were playing too slow at the start of the year. Too slow to do something about the midfield that was getting its arse handed to it all year.
I'd normally agree with this but he put Switta in the middle pretty quickly and really helped change that 1st quarter. No complaints with the weekend

I’m still cautious even though he’s showing improvement so maybe not all is lost just yet. It took him an awful long time though and had he been less stubborn earlier in the season we may have been still in contention. If I see for example Wagner suddenly chipping kicks around D50 I wont be happy and I’ll attribute that to JL. Hopefully it’s getting through his skull by now that defensive gameplan won’t get you the ultimate prize

I suspect the stubborness to change too much mid-game/season probably has a bit to do with the age of the list. You don't want to be constantly changing this to plan B, C, D when 3/4 of the team don't have A 100% in the kit. It's just confusing.
he and the club obviously have a blueprint for how the years will unfold. Young in the middle apparently was the plan for next year but giving him five games there will be beneficial as we head into preseason. A bonus may also be Clarke’s lockdown role necessitated by Walker’s injury. That’s a skill set he brings into preseason and potentially makes the defence more difficult for the opposition if Walker and Clarke both can lockdown and rebound.

Personally I'd take finals as a base pass mark.
I clearly don't.

I'm pretty confident of the list.

Darcy, Jackson (Best two rucks in the AFL), Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Fyfe, O'Meara, Johnson, and Erasmus which pretty strong and deep midfield.

Cox, Pearce and Ryan are all capable of being All Australian. Walker, Chapman and Clark will be year older and wiser.

Forward line isn't the greatest but seriously has no spuds in the group. Treacy will hit 50 games next year, Sturt is best 22 now, Shultz, Frederick, and Switta are fast as and Walters still has a few years left.

Forward line isn't the greatest but seriously has no spuds in the group. Treacy will hit 50 games next year, Sturt is best 22 now, Shultz, Frederick, and Switta are fast as and Walters still has a few years left.

Sturt, Jackson, Frederick
Treacy, Amiss, Schultz

That’s a pretty good forward line mix, add Walters for the next two years and we have some dangerous players with size, speed and goal sense, once Treacy and Jackson start clunking their marks it’ll be very formidable.

I’m still cautious even though he’s showing improvement so maybe not all is lost just yet. It took him an awful long time though and had he been less stubborn earlier in the season we may have been still in contention. If I see for example Wagner suddenly chipping kicks around D50 I wont be happy and I’ll attribute that to JL. Hopefully it’s getting through his skull by now that defensive gameplan won’t get you the ultimate prize
On the flip side look how quickly Wagner turned his game around in his short career
Do we attribute that positively towards JL ?

I clearly don't.

Darcy, Jackson (Best two rucks in the AFL), Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Fyfe, O'Meara, Johnson, and Erasmus which pretty strong and deep midfield.

Cox, Pearce and Ryan are all capable of being All Australian. Walker, Chapman and Clark will be year older and wiser.

Only need 1-2 goals a game from the forward line imo. It’s the midfielders that need to step up - we’ve been getting just over a goal a game from mids (the derby would’ve improved that) which simply isn’t good enough. Need 3-4 a game.

My biggest concern with the forward line is replacing Walters. I’m not overly concerned by signing him to 2025. We’ve got two years to develop a replacement or we might need to trade someone in at the end of 2025. I don’t think it’s a concern needing to fill one or two spots (wing might be the other if Henry leaves).

Our midfield also hasn’t scored enough this season. It might be an issue when it comes to scoring as a team tbh. Good teams get most of their goals from forwards but their mids still contribute more than 2-3 goals a game - ours barely cover one a game.

I clearly don't.

typo?...Amiss?

Eighteen coaches...

Every year one passes ...17 fail!

And some of them are proven premiership winners ...

And some will be in the future!
Man for the longest time I thought your avatar was the female reproductive system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back