Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still hate how we selected him as our coach and who we interviewed.

Jlo - Former player
Suma - Former Assistant
Solomon - Former Player
Carr - Former player

Voss - Had an interview lined up but realised Freo had already made their minds up it was going to be Jlo. He then backed out.

We interviewed 4 Individuals with a previous link to the club. That’s thinking pretty small. Think big Freo!! Eagles weren’t thinking small when they hired Malthouse/Simmo. There are plenty of candidates out there who would’ve loved to coach our club. Unfortunately we were only looking at candidates who had a prior connection for some reason??? Think big and find the right candidate next time regardless what state they are from.
My understanding was the final two candidates were between JLO and Jade Rawlings who Fremantle were extremely impressed with. I would say if JLO didn’t have the Fremantle connection Rawlings probably would have got the senior gig.

Like many I’m still not sold on JLO and believe there is probably better candidates available outside the Fremantle boys club.

Speaking of the Freo’s boys club Adam Simpson and Peter bell are really close friends. Would Simpson be interested in a senior assistant position? Or is he washed up. This is of course if he gets the sack.

My understanding was the final two candidates were between JLO and Jade Rawlings who Fremantle were extremely impressed with. I would say if JLO didn’t have the Fremantle connection Rawlings probably would have got the senior gig.

Like many I’m still not sold on JLO and believe there is probably better candidates available outside the Fremantle boys club.

Speaking of the Freo’s boys club Adam Simpson and Peter bell are really close friends. Would Simpson be interested in a senior assistant position? Or is he washed up. This is of course if he gets the sack.
Reckon the Eagles board hated the players defending him on TV and the fans coming out in droves. He may be kept on for one more year. Eagles finally accepting mediocrity.

David King made a good point the other day on SEN and he wasn’t even talking about Freo at all. He said if you are not embracing chaos football now in your game style, you are stuck in a bygone era. The AFL are actively tweaking the rules to reward fast attacking, exciting, front foot teams. It’s entertainment after all. This innate conservative type approach that some coaches seem to favour is not what the league wants.
Let’s be honest too - the entertainment the Pies have delivered to their fans over the last year or two has been breathtaking. At times I’ve been so ******* jealous of their fans. How good would it be to experience that?
'Chaos ball' is literally the opposite of what the good teams are doing this year.

Reckon the Eagles board hated the players defending him on TV and the fans coming out in droves. He may be kept on for one more year. Eagles finally accepting mediocrity.
Until the Crows finish the job.
They will try to surround him with better assistants or a contingency plan, successor.
Ten years as a coach of the one club is long enough.
He is finished, a lucky premiership and Mitchell made him look clever.

Looking at the last 10 or 20 premiership coaches and, to be honest, there's quite a few that I would say are not particularly motivating or inspirational in the way they talk publicly. And a few of them definitely don't have the leadership styles that some are wanting on in this thread.

They're not as nervous looking as JL, when they speak on TV, but does that make you a better coach?

To me, it's how he connects with the players, as much as his game plan and tactics that will determine if he is successful or not.

Good coaches only have one measure...success. It's easy to look back and praise coaches who have been successful, but in reality, a lot of their "styles" have been very similar. The important stuff is often happening behind closed doors, of which most of us are never privy to.

One of those wonderful AFL terms which every media talking head use incessantly but none can really properly quantify exactly what it is.
Bit like "ugly football" which gets variously used to name:
  • a game or game plan involving a lot of contested ball and a high number of stoppages (a la Lyon);
  • a game characterised by lots of turnovers or skill errors (regardless of game plan); or
  • simply a game in which one's team lost (again).

Looking at the last 10 or 20 premiership coaches and, to be honest, there's quite a few that I would say are not particularly motivating or inspirational in the way they talk publicly. And a few of them definitely don't have the leadership styles that some are wanting on in this thread.

They're not as nervous looking as JL, when they speak on TV, but does that make you a better coach?

To me, it's how he connects with the players, as much as his game plan and tactics that will determine if he is successful or not.

Good coaches only have one measure...success. It's easy to look back and praise coaches who have been successful, but in reality, a lot of their "styles" have been very similar. The important stuff is often happening behind closed doors, of which most of us are never privy to.
Far too sensible for this forum.
Go Away GIF

David King made a good point the other day on SEN and he wasn’t even talking about Freo at all. He said if you are not embracing chaos football now in your game style, you are stuck in a bygone era. The AFL are actively tweaking the rules to reward fast attacking, exciting, front foot teams. It’s entertainment after all. This innate conservative type approach that some coaches seem to favour is not what the league wants.
Let’s be honest too - the entertainment the Pies have delivered to their fans over the last year or two has been breathtaking. At times I’ve been so ******* jealous of their fans. How good would it be to experience that?
The thing about this point from King is that the next great coach will find the antidote to this style. Find the weakness in the style of play and exploit it. Merely copying the style won't win you a flag.

No doubt similar to St Kilda. No one raises the floor like RTB on a fresh squad. You do pay the bill a few years down the track though
I don't care... It was worth it.

Lookin' back at it, I will always savour every final we played under Ross Lyon from 2012-15.

It's the only time we made back to back finals or finals for at least 2 years in a row.

Yep, my standards are not that high. But that Ross Lyon 2012-19 era will always stand out.

If you wanna be reminded, look what finals we can look back on from 1995-2009. Finals in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

And post Ross Lyon era of 2020 onwards under Justin Longmuir. Just that 2022 Elim finals win.

I wished we made finals in 2005 and 2021.

That would of meant back to back finals in 2005-6, 2012-15 and 2021-22.

That would of been 3 stand out eras of consistent finals eras.

If Freo are gonna be a below average team for the next 30 years, I don't care if we make finals 8-10 times out of 30.

I can tolerate a 5-7 years of no finals if that at the end of it we have a 3 or 4 year run of finals and a flag push too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well when you look at it.... The west coast eagles last 2 premiership coaches have a few things in common with each other.

Both lasted around 10 seasons.

Both had a 6 year stint of finals. Worsfold had 2002-07, along with 2011-2.

Adam Simpson had 2015-20.

Both ended up with 2 grand finals and 1 premiership.

Worsfold say that narrow 2005 loss to the swans. Get a one point win vs the swans in 2006.

Adam Simpson saw the eagles lose by 46 points in the 2015 grand final. Eagles won the 2018 grand final by under a goal.

Both of them won a flag by under a goal. Both could of lost it too.

Until the Crows finish the job.
They will try to surround him with better assistants or a contingency plan, successor.
Ten years as a coach of the one club is long enough.
He is finished, a lucky premiership and Mitchell made him look clever.
Well... We haven't got rid of Justin Longmuir yet.

10 years as a coach of one club is long enough.

Ross Lyon was our coach in 2012-19. Got us 4 wins and 5 losses finals record In 2012-5.

Ken Hinkley had been ports coach since 2013.

Brad Scott lasted 10 years at North Melbourne from 2010-19. He got finals in 2012 then 2014-6.

I seriously think Justin Longmuir will have a similar run like Brad Scott at North.

So... We didn't play finals in 2020-21. Made finals in 2022. Missed out on finals in 2023.

So that means finals in 2024 to 2026. Then a slow decline and Miss out on finals in 2027-29.

Just looked up our coaches on the club website.

We have very few listed compared to other clubs. What's going on in that space, is it lack of funds after having to payout Ross Lyon? Soft caps? Covid?

We need a serious injection in that space to boost our competitiveness. I'd like to see Mundy get into coaching if he'd be interested or get someone like Chris Mayne also.

We have very few listed compared to other clubs. What's going on in that space, is it lack of funds after having to payout Ross Lyon? Soft caps? Covid?

We need a serious injection in that space to boost our competitiveness. I'd like to see Mundy get into coaching if he'd be interested or get someone like Chris Mayne also.
Stop getting Freo blokes ffs. Get the right candidate.

Loved both playing for us but neither strike me as coaching material, maybe Mundy in a developmental role. Even so, he would benefit greatly from having a role at a different club first, being a one club player, Freo is all he knows really.
Unlikely we can get either of them but my wish list for assistants is Simon Black or Nigel Lappin. Massive footy brains. Adem Yze as well but he’s even less likely to come in as an assistant

Loved both playing for us but neither strike me as coaching material, maybe Mundy in a developmental role. Even so, he would benefit greatly from having a role at a different club first, being a one club player, Freo is all he knows really.
Unlikely we can get either of them but my wish list for assistants is Simon Black or Nigel Lappin. Massive footy brains. Adem Yze as well but he’s even less likely to come in as an assistant
I won't be surprised if Mundy goes to Victoria and becomes a member of a coaching staff.

Paul Hasleby coached in the WAFL for a season or 2 after he retired in 2010.

There's not too many ex dockers in coaching jobs.

Funny that in 2023, there were a few ex Port Adelaide players as head coaches. Adam Kingsley at GWS, Stewart dew at gold coast, Damien Hardwick at Richmond.

I won't be surprised if Mundy goes to Victoria and becomes a member of a coaching staff.

Paul Hasleby coached in the WAFL for a season or 2 after he retired in 2010.

There's not too many ex dockers in coaching jobs.

Funny that in 2023, there were a few ex Port Adelaide players as head coaches. Adam Kingsley at GWS, Stewart dew at gold coast, Damien Hardwick at Richmond.
I’m not saying he will or won’t get a coaching job just that Mundy appears kinda soft (in regards to me not viewing him as a coaching material) and being only exposed to Freo environment I just don’t think he would be a good candidate for us

Not an uneducated melt about knowing better than the coach.

#NotMyBigFooty

I’m not saying he will or won’t get a coaching job just that Mundy appears kinda soft (in regards to me not viewing him as a coaching material) and being only exposed to Freo environment I just don’t think he would be a good candidate for us
well... I looked at your EPL side... Liverpool.

Mine is Manchester city.

yep be both hate man united. Both teams spend money on decent players and play attacking footy.

Soccer wont get talked about on here.

Liverpool would never Hire a Jose Murinho , Sam Allydyce or Tony Pulis type manager. Both are very dull and defensive coaches.

Louis Van Gaal was a coach I liked. He plays defensive tactics but plays the kids. Playing attacking footy means more energy is used .

slow tempo means less energy.

I think any talk of Longmuir being sacked is ridiculous without a solid plan or replacement in mind, and let's be honest, there aren't exactly any assistants around the league putting their hands up right now.

The biggest let down for me this year was Longmuir.

The team was repeatedly slow out of the blocks. Does someone have any stats as to how many 1st Qs we lost this year?

It seems as if the players were sent sent out with a negative mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back