Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Bucks a chance to be Senior Assistant next year? I know he loves his media commitments, but there has to be more to him sitting in our coaches box.
Does that help JLo?

It doesn't mean JL has a pass forever, it just means he should be given next year to further develop this group. I remember supporters of Richmond and Melbourne having similar thoughts to you before experiencing recent success and Freo supporters have as much reason as anyone to get a bit impatient and want results now, not tomorrow.
Have to agree. I am fine with keeping him. But next year without finals and he should be in trouble.

Have to agree. I am fine with keeping him. But next year without finals and he should be in trouble.
Question is how confident are we that his teachings and gamestyle gets us success??? Do we lose another year backing in a failure coach?

He is 4 years in. The inner sanctum should know if he’s capable by now. If he isn’t pay him out and look at Yze or Pyke or anyone with a better outlook.

Still hate how we selected him as our coach and who we interviewed.

Jlo - Former player
Suma - Former Assistant
Solomon - Former Player
Carr - Former player

Voss - Had an interview lined up but realised Freo had already made their minds up it was going to be Jlo. He then backed out.

We interviewed 4 Individuals with a previous link to the club. That’s thinking pretty small. Think big Freo!! Eagles weren’t thinking small when they hired Malthouse/Simmo. There are plenty of candidates out there who would’ve loved to coach our club. Unfortunately we were only looking at candidates who had a prior connection for some reason??? Think big and find the right candidate next time regardless what state they are from.

I'm not sure if my memory is correct but I am sure a heap of posters on BF were pumped about bring Freo people back to the club.

It was definitely sold that way. Kind of reminds me of people lamenting the lack of drafting WA kids. We have brought a heap of WA players into the club the last few years and that has been...... less than successful.

It was the game against the Eagles a couple of weeks ago that really put me off him. Just seems uninspiring. 5 years is long enough.

I'm comfortable with the club giving him another 12 months to prove me wrong but if that is what they are going to do then more changes than just Longmuir need to happen.

I'm not sure if my memory is correct but I am sure a heap of posters on BF were pumped about bring Freo people back to the club.

It was definitely sold that way. Kind of reminds me of people lamenting the lack of drafting WA kids. We have brought a heap of WA players into the club the last few years and that has been...... less than successful.

It was the game against the Eagles a couple of weeks ago that really put me off him. Just seems uninspiring. 5 years is long enough.

I'm comfortable with the club giving him another 12 months to prove me wrong but if that is what they are going to do then more changes than just Longmuir need to happen.
Not me. Was against the boys club.

Do you remember us interviewing Rawlings? I think he may of been the only outsider interned. Pretty sure we did.

Fair bit of speculation on here that club chose Longmuir over a heap of others. There’s plenty of jobs on the east coast & I’m sure a heap knocked back the offer of applying due to the thought of moving interstate.
You contact 3 times as many prospective coaches as the ones who apply, unfortunately you don’t often get your first choice or the best candidate.

Not me. Was against the boys club.

Do you remember us interviewing Rawlings? I think he may of been the only outsider interned. Pretty sure we did.

I can't recall that. JL and Suma were definitely the last two which was bizarre. JL made sense in that he was a highly rated assistant at a club who had played in a GF.

Sumich being a blithering idiot who was out of the system made zero sense. Even looking back on it now, it makes no sense.

What was the club thinking?

Fair bit of speculation on here that club chose Longmuir over a heap of others. There’s plenty of jobs on the east coast & I’m sure a heap knocked back the offer of applying due to the thought of moving interstate.
You contact 3 times as many prospective coaches as the ones who apply, unfortunately you don’t often get your first choice or the best candidate.
No chance anyone worth their salt knocks back an opportunity to be a head coach if it involves moving interstate. The money alone makes it more then worth it. Plus there's only 18 jobs out there.

David King made a good point the other day on SEN and he wasn’t even talking about Freo at all. He said if you are not embracing chaos football now in your game style, you are stuck in a bygone era. The AFL are actively tweaking the rules to reward fast attacking, exciting, front foot teams. It’s entertainment after all. This innate conservative type approach that some coaches seem to favour is not what the league wants.
Let’s be honest too - the entertainment the Pies have delivered to their fans over the last year or two has been breathtaking. At times I’ve been so ****ing jealous of their fans. How good would it be to experience that?

No chance anyone worth their salt knocks back an opportunity to be a head coach if it involves moving interstate. The money alone makes it more then worth it. Plus there's only 18 jobs out there.
There's job I'd think get turned back. An untried head coach should keep the **** away from GC and currently Richmond (who are about to find a scapegoat coach for the next 4 years). Maybe it's bias but I'd have though taking over a Freo team 4 years into stockpiling talent would have been as good a gig for an aspiring coach as any

There's job I'd think get turned back. An untried head coach should keep the * away from GC and currently Richmond (who are about to find a scapegoat coach for the next 4 years). Maybe it's bias but I'd have though taking over a Freo team 4 years into stockpiling talent would have been as good a gig for an aspiring coach as any
You wonder what Ross Lyon would do with our list now, if he had never coached freo before?
I think he’s make us very competitive deep in finals but as per the comment above his gamestyle isn’t necessarily what the AFL are encouraging with their rule tweaks. We probably lack that big alpha key forward for Ross too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s be honest too - the entertainment the Pies have delivered to their fans over the last year or two has been breathtaking. At times I’ve been so ******* jealous of their fans. How good would it be to experience that?
Me too. I've been jealous af. I only hope we can have run like the one they're having right now. They only really need a flag now.

Me too. I've been jealous af. I only hope we can have run like the one they're having right now. They only really need a flag now.
And yet they were utterly shite only 2 years ago (before McRae).

You wonder what Ross Lyon would do with our list now, if he had never coached freo before?
I think he’s make us very competitive deep in finals but as per the comment above his gamestyle isn’t necessarily what the AFL are encouraging with their rule tweaks. We probably lack that big alpha key forward for Ross too.
No doubt similar to St Kilda. No one raises the floor like RTB on a fresh squad. You do pay the bill a few years down the track though

David King made a good point the other day on SEN and he wasn’t even talking about Freo at all. He said if you are not embracing chaos football now in your game style, you are stuck in a bygone era. The AFL are actively tweaking the rules to reward fast attacking, exciting, front foot teams. It’s entertainment after all. This innate conservative type approach that some coaches seem to favour is not what the league wants.
Let’s be honest too - the entertainment the Pies have delivered to their fans over the last year or two has been breathtaking. At times I’ve been so ******* jealous of their fans. How good would it be to experience that?
Agreed.
I remember everyone predicting doom and gloom after they dumped Grundy and still paying for him and also Treloar to olay elsewhere.
I am curious to see what happens when Pendles and Sidebottom retire though. I think their involvement last two years has been kinda undervalued especially with all eyes being on Moore and Daicos bros. I think most Collingwood players walk a little taller when these two are around

And yet they were utterly shite only 2 years ago (before McRae).

Yes, Collingwood were shite in 2021 and finished 17th however they finished 8th in 2020 and 4th in 2019.

That 17th finish was an aberration as they were decent before it and decent after it.

The quickest bottom out and rebuild in AFL history 🤣

Listened to a few coaches interviews the last few days. Only highlights just what a charisma black hole JL is. Definitely rolled a 1 there.
Shaun Mcmanus told me about JL's appointment a couple days before it was released - i was gutted as JL just comes across as a bumpkin. Not saying he hasnt got a great footy brain etc, but he's no leader. I had to put on a nice face to Shaun :)

Shaun Mcmanus told me about JL's appointment a couple days before it was released - i was gutted as JL just comes across as a bumpkin. Not saying he hasnt got a great footy brain etc, but he's no leader. I had to put on a nice face to Shaun :)
What were your thoughts last year?

What were your thoughts last year?
Exactly the same. from day dot i've said he's not an inspiring leader. So many people speak highly of him, so he's obviously a good coach which i'm not doubting, but not a great coach. Coaches who get to the top have an edge - either x-factor, discipline, charisma, just something about them, JLo is more your poor mans forest gump type. He's not inspiring at all. Every time i watch a press conference i cringe at how poorly he speaks. I cant imagine he's suddenly some charismatic beast in front of his players.

I loved our winning form last year but there was not 1 second i thought we could win the flag. I was still critical of JLs ability to inspire and as fun as it was winning a final, our poor first quarters had crept in late last season. We jagged the win against the dogs, but were never going to go further with a team that isnt inspired from the start of the 1st quarter, not in finals anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back