Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Schultz trade bombshell has just turned up the pressure 10-fold now on JL. He’s under monstrous scrutiny now. This is not normal for a AFL club to drain talent like this. It’s worse than the two big outliers in GC and GWS over the last few years.
Ultimately the buck stops with the hierarchy and football operations boss, and senior coach.
It is impossible to win anything meaningful under these circumstances. The other clubs are like vultures. Collingwood don’t care how long freo are s**t for. They want to win the next flag and the one after that and so on. They and Carlton and other big clubs will take all our talent without a second thought for the next decade. They are looking up, not back at little struggling freo.
Ruthless.
People waiting for it to turn are delusional unless the root cause of these problems is identified and changed. Between 2011 and 16, this kind of thing just did not happen.
This is late 1990s areas for freo in terms of losing talent in their prime.

Good organisations do not lose required players.
Again....

As I posted.... in our 30 year history from 1995-2024.... Dockers only made back to back finals once. thats 2012-5.

Forget about winning a flag, are we ever gonna have a 2 or 3 run of finals.

If we ever make back to back finals again in our life times, celebrate that as a premiership. lol

I dont mind being in Geelongs position. At least they have made and won finals in each year from 2016-2021, the last 6 years.

Cats have made a few preliminary finals and a grand final in that same period. How many finals have Freo played in the last 6 years?

I rather play Elim finals than finish 9th or 10th or 11th.

As I said, I will always savour every final we played under Ross Lyon from 2012-15. I hope you did too.

I think Freo can pinch a finals spot in 2022 and possibly win one too.

I don't think Freo will contend for the flag anytime soon. Hope to be proven wrong.
Barra_Mundy , poshman and eastfreo75 liked this post.

So... anyone happy with a cats finals run of 2012-21?

Hell... I would take Hinkleys finals run at Port from 2013-21. No flags but at least they won 5 finals in 10 seasons.

Barra_Mundy , poshman and eastfreo75 liked this post.

So... anyone happy with a cats finals run of 2012-21?

Hell... I would take Hinkleys finals run at Port from 2013-21. No flags but at least they won 5 finals in 10 seasons.

Surely everyone would love a cats run of the last decade. Or 12-21.

Ports isn't something I aspire too, but it is also a lot better than where we are so we shouldn't be too judgey.

Shultz an Henry going would suggest we will sit around the same place on the ladder again, perhaps get marginal improvement. It is quite the disheartening offseason.

Surely everyone would love a cats run of the last decade. Or 12-21.

Ports isn't something I aspire too, but it is also a lot better than where we are so we shouldn't be too judgey.

Shultz an Henry going would suggest we will sit around the same place on the ladder again, perhaps get marginal improvement. It is quite the disheartening offseason.
I like you poshman but we are a long suffering fan base here.

I said this on the Justin Longmuir thread. If Justin Longmuir hands us similar finals success like Ken Hinkely has at port from 2013-21, that would be very good.

1 finals win in 2013, 2 finals wins in 2014. miss out of finals in 2015-6, elim finals loss to the eagles of all sides in 2017, miss out on finals in 2018-9. a finals win in 2020 and 2021. Yeah no grand final and no premiership. 5 finals wins in 10 seasons, no to mention back to back finals in 2013-4 and 2020-21, yeah I would take that.

We've been in bust the last 5 years, does that clear it up? If you come close to winning for year on end, like Geelong, but ultimately win nothing you also have no draft picks to build up a great team. You'll forever be middling or approaching good if you manage top pick a few gems.

Arguing semantics is boring.
Again.... do you like Freos current situation? lol

because we aint winning nothing like the cats in 2012-21 or Port in 2013-23. Well port won a minor premiership...

Longmuir may survive by the fact that we will be utter arse
These trade periods are a perfect example of why you can’t “wait around” for 8 or 10 years of a rebuild and say we are gonna be great in 2026.
The nuffie fans like us can do that. But senior coaches can’t. They need to win, now. Always remember Ross Lyon saying once on footy classified: “list managers love picks. Pick this, pick that. I say to them - mate, picks are no good to me. I need 23 year old men, ready for the here and now. How are you going to give me that?”

These elite players get one shot at a great career. Why should they hang around a backwater club with no urgency that is playing the long game? Should Sean Darcy have to wait till he’s 30 years old to play finals again?
Yes todays development appears to be related to family issues, BUT -
Schultz requested to go to Collingwood. He didn’t ****in request north Melbourne! It’s not a coincidence. He’s still thinking, how can I win a flag and set myself up in this finite career?

It’s a massive decision now for Darcy and Brayshaw. Do you trust this club to provide the environment to fulfil your dreams?
Clubs like freo can’t afford to spend 7 or 8 years out of finals. It’s a never ending cycle. We will bleed more talent next year if we don’t play finals.
You have to sacrifice some long term growth to stay competitive in the here and now, otherwise we will be forever young.
Some fans might be happy to wait till 2027. JL and Bell might be happy to wait till 2027. But all our good players too? Nah.
That’s why Longmuir needs to be playing finals next year or he’s out the door.

These trade periods are a perfect example of why you can’t “wait around” for 8 or 10 years of a rebuild and say we are gonna be great in 2026.
The nuffie fans like us can do that. But senior coaches can’t. They need to win, now. Always remember Ross Lyon saying once on footy classified: “list managers love picks. Pick this, pick that. I say to them - mate, picks are no good to me. I need 23 year old men, ready for the here and now. How are you going to give me that?”

These elite players get one shot at a great career. Why should they hang around a backwater club with no urgency that is playing the long game? Should Sean Darcy have to wait till he’s 30 years old to play finals again?
Schultz requested to go to Collingwood. He didn’t *in request north Melbourne! It’s not a coincidence. He’s still thinking, how can I win a flag and set myself up in this finite career?

It’s a massive decision now for Darcy and Brayshaw. Do you trust this club to provide the environment to fulfil your dreams?
Clubs like freo can’t afford to spend 7 or 8 years out of finals. It’s a never ending cycle. We will bleed more talent next year if we don’t play finals.
You have to sacrifice some long term growth to stay competitive in the here and now, otherwise we will be forever young.
Some fans might be happy to wait till 2027. JL and Bell might be happy to wait till 2027. But all our good players too? Nah.
true about this post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally would want us to look at Chris Scott if things don't go well next year.

Chris has a connection with the club and was reportedly v happy here (and earmarked as the next coach before he got the Cats job). And he will surely be thinking about what's next with the Cats on the decline and probably looking at a refresh.

A two time premiership coach, who hasn't had an uncompetitive season in 10+ years of coaching. We could go for another first time coach, but for all the McRae's, there's also a lot of Mark Neelds and Damien Drums.

I personally would want us to look at Chris Scott if things don't go well next year.

Chris has a connection with the club and was reportedly v happy here (and earmarked as the next coach before he got the Cats job). And he will surely be thinking about what's next with the Cats on the decline and probably looking at a refresh.

A two time premiership coach, who hasn't had an uncompetitive season in 10+ years of coaching. We could go for another first time coach, but for all the McRae's, there's also a lot of Mark Neelds and Damien Drums.
Cats get to keep his weird beard and I'm in. :thumbsu:

Wow. I think we’re going to be looking at 2022 with nostalgia as when we peaked under JL.
Once again we’re starting a new year with a worse list than the one before.

Luckily JL has his stalwarts like O’Meara, Banners, Corbett, Hughes, Worner etc signed up on multiple year deals.

Hard to see how he’s going to survive finishing bottom 4 again. WC will be going past us again soon at this rate.

Feels like the clubs around our level in 22 are all filling out their list (Sydney, Brisbane, St Kilda, Carlton) while we’re getting weaker & younger every year.

Not happy Jan.

Schultz requested to go to Collingwood. He didn’t *in request north Melbourne! It’s not a coincidence. He’s still thinking, how can I win a flag and set myself up in this finite career?

I agree with all these bolded and underlined points.

That 2016-21 rebuild was tough, but I tolerated it. 2016 when freo were 0-10 and crippled with injuries hurt.

That 6 rebuild was a warning to me and I learnt a lot on a few things....

1. Spending 6 years of no finals is significant. With 22 games minimum... 22 times 6 is 132 games. acutally we made finals in 2022, so that was 154 games in between out last finals appearance in 2015 until the next one in 2022.

2. The age of certain players. Guys Like Walters and Fyfe spent their prime years sticking loyal and hanging tough in this 2016-21 rebuild. Mundy was already 30 or 31 when we did that rebuild. He was 37 years old when we won that final in 2022. The crazy thing was only Fyfe, mundy and walters were the only guys left from those 2012-15 finals wins under ross lyon era , that hanged around in 2022. could of Said taberner as he was on freos list in that 2012-15 era but he didnt play under a finals win under that ross lyon era... Hell they were the only 3 blokes from that 2010 elim final win under our last coach mark harvey.

3. I savoured that 2022 elim finals win like a flag. I was one of the few that was happy to get 5th and get a home elim final. had we got 4th, we would of got out in straight sets vs cats and magpies. And we would be reminded abot our last finals win was in 2015.

Wow. I think we’re going to be looking at 2022 with nostalgia as when we peaked under JL.
Once again we’re starting a new year with a worse list than the one before.

Luckily JL has his stalwarts like O’Meara, Banners, Corbett, Hughes, Worner etc signed up on multiple year deals.

Hard to see how he’s going to survive finishing bottom 4 again. WC will be going past us again soon at this rate.

Feels like the clubs around our level in 22 are all filling out their list (Sydney, Brisbane, St Kilda, Carlton) while we’re getting weaker & younger every year.

Not happy Jan.
Again... I will savour that 2022 elim final like a flag looking back at it.

might be a good 7-10 years before we win another final. Yes I dread we are gonna go down the essnedon path of 15-20 years of not winning a final.

Do you mind if I bookmark this and we check back at the end of the year? Kind of like a footy Bingo.

• Cox leaves
  • Darcy leaves
  • No young players developing Im already answering this as wrong - Amiss and Johnson.
  • Walters leaves
  • Fyfe leaves
  • No salary space
  • No finals 23-25
  • drastic changes to coaching and management

How many do you think I'll score?
Cox just signed a contract until 2030. so cross that off.

No finals in 2023, 2024 and 2025 is very possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back