Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Buckley with his time out of the game has a far better outlook than before .
Unlucky to not be a premiership coach and seems to have accepted the games has changed.He's probably the best football mind out there not coaching and likely someone will give him a new gig one day.
Would the Dockery that has been us for 30 years not ever entertain a guy like him?

Worst case scenario is we win a few games and that’s enough for the club to sign JLO up again. He should have already been moved on. We’re going nowhere with him.
I agree, but even more than this he’s such an uninspiring leader. No wonder we’re useless in first quarters. There’s no way that guy is a motivator.

Probably an outstanding assistant but too boring as batshit to be a senior coach and that was my opinion the day we signed him.

I think Buckley with his time out of the game has a far better outlook than before .
Unlucky to not be a premiership coach and seems to have accepted the games has changed.He's probably the best football mind out there not coaching and likely someone will give him a new gig one day.
Would the Dockery that has been us for 30 years not ever entertain a guy like him?
Even if he did, Buckley would not cut his mates (JL) grass. He too good a person.

I agree, but even more than this he’s such an uninspiring leader. No wonder we’re useless in first quarters. There’s no way that guy is a motivator.

Probably an outstanding assistant but too boring as batshit to be a senior coach and that was my opinion the day we signed him.
So you’ve been in the rooms before the game and heard him address the players. How’d you manage that.

I actually think the club should target Chris Scott. He’s just about run his time at Geelong, great ruthless coach and he’s been at freo before. Great guy too

I actually think the club should target Chris Scott. He’s just about run his time at Geelong, great ruthless coach and he’s been at freo before. Great guy too
Agree i think Scott might have run his race at the cats Would be a brilliant get for us given his experience and achievements
The main thing i cant get over with Jlo is that he thought Hughes could be a winger (you would have to doubt his football nous)
Followed by loss to the Roos in the second game this year (Clarkson clearly outhought and outcoached us)

So you’ve been in the rooms before the game and heard him address the players. How’d you manage that.

Surely you can see that it is obvious? The horrific 1st quarter record speaks for itself. And somebody who was in the rooms before the game ... Nathan Buckley ... said he couldn't believe how quiet and introverted everybody was.

Haha. Mate he can barely string 2 words together. To motivate you at least need to be fluent in the English language and not bumble your way through. I’m embarrassed for him just watching his media. No way is he inspiring a bunch of young men to run through brick walls.

I wish the club would say to JL for next season
- look you have nothing to lose now. Go all in on a fast, attacking and exciting gameplan. Get the fans buzzing. Take some risks. Think outside the box to get the team buying in.

At least by all accounts in the early days we were s**t but still a maverick side, capable of some off the cuff brilliance.

Not we are the comps most boring team but still s**t. Drowning slowly in a sea of boring inertia, moving from 11th to 14th place, sucess always 2 or 3 years away, meandering towards the inevitable conclusion…

Longmuir wouldn’t have fingers left from the chewing of his nails.

I don't disagree but could others plug the inspiration gap? A captain like Serong maybe? JLo has other strengths.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he made Mark Harvey look good. The year he left Freo in Harvey's hands Freo went down and Geelong won the cup.

Time for Josh Carr.. hard edge .. similar traits to Hardwick.. has played in a premiership.. and importantly understands Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The post you quoted is from June but ok:

You said you'd be happy for Longmuir to coach 10 seasons with no flag. No club administrator at any team at any point in history would be happy with that result.
Yeah most would be upset if Justin Longmuir spends 10 years with no flags or even grand finals to show for it.

I would at least want 3 or 4 finals wins if he is gonna hang around here for a decade of 2020-2029.

Operation get Chris Scott. Now I know it isn’t possible but I kinda want us to poach him…today?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he made Mark Harvey look good. The year he left Freo in Harvey's hands Freo went down and Geelong won the cup.
Getting Scott would be like Mathews joining the Lions.
We need football royalty to fix the mess that is the FFC.
It’s obvious that something is off with management, and Scott would
entice better quality people to work under him.
What WC did with Mitchell was also a smart move to get him to
join the coaching dept.
Does anyone think that JLo is going to turn our boys into men?
Players will come not leave to be associated with a professional team.

It’s a depth issue more then anything. Melbourne, Richmond for example have managed to cover injury lists while doing a fantastic job of changing their tactics, line ups to suit.
Melbourne had Weideman in the VFL, Tomlinson out with ACL and Viney out for long periods of the season.
Fremantle just never had that. McPharlin out on 2013-2015 and struggled. Pavlich played 150+ straight games and the while having no back up forwards
I agree... Depth is an issue. Losing best 23 players doesn't help either.

We ain't winning a flag at this rate, let alone win a final soon

Getting Scott would be like Mathews joining the Lions.
We need football royalty to fix the mess that is the FFC.
It’s obvious that something is off with management, and Scott would
entice better quality people to work under him.
What WC did with Mitchell was also a smart move to get him to
join the coaching dept.
Does anyone think that JLo is going to turn our boys into men?
Players will come not leave to be associated with a professional team.
Most of the premiership teams have coaches who won flags as a player.

If we can get Scott, its a no brainer to replace JL.

And he is not behind the door when it comes to having a whinge and moan and getting his way.He is an AFL darling, no, not that darling.

Why do people have this idea that to be a good coach you have to yell and scream and be an arseh*le.Longmuir has had 2 yrs of COVID to deal with then got us to a final ,and this talk of Buckley being better than Longmuir is garbage,Pies supporters were lamenting the loss of Longmuir as they believed he was the brains behind their form, I agree that if there is not a vast improvement this yr he should go. This idea that he is a shit coach because he is a bad media performer is utter shite.

Why do people have this idea that to be a good coach you have to yell and scream and be an arseh*le.Longmuir has had 2 yrs of COVID to deal with then got us to a final ,and this talk of Buckley being better than Longmuir is garbage,Pies supporters were lamenting the loss of Longmuir as they believed he was the brains behind their form, I agree that if there is not a vast improvement this yr he should go. This idea that he is a s**t coach because he is a bad media performer is utter shite.
Whatever about the merits of JL as a coach, the use of Covid as an excuse for poor performances is incredibly annoying and used by a whole host of people across different sports to defend poor performances in that period. It’s nonsense.
It’s not like Covid came to affect the Fremantle dockers only, and every other club in the league was covid-free and unaffected in any way by the pandemic.
EVERYONE had 2 years of covid to deal with. In fact, one could argue we got off pretty lightly at freo, certainly by comparison to the eagles and a few others with covid issues.

Whatever about the merits of JL as a coach, the use of Covid as an excuse for poor performances is incredibly annoying and used by a whole host of people across different sports to defend poor performances in that period. It’s nonsense.
It’s not like Covid came to affect the Fremantle dockers only, and every other club in the league was covid-free and unaffected in any way by the pandemic.
EVERYONE had 2 years of covid to deal with. In fact, one could argue we got off pretty lightly at freo, certainly by comparison to the eagles and a few others with covid issues.
It’s quite the opposite, Longmuir did an outstanding job over the covid years & the OP didn’t mention poor performance in his comment on Covid. The point is it was his first year of coaching in ever changing circumstances & he had to adjust everything he had planned to do as a senior coach.

Most other teams had established coaches who had spent seasons building a style of play they wanted to implement, Longmuir had 1 preseason & then reduced time with the players over the course of the season to continue to build that plan. At times they could only train in very small groups & meet in very small groups.

To say we got off pretty light, in particular to the WCE is just ridiculous & in fact it’s a credit to Longmuir & the club they were able to protect the players with strong buy in from the players. Any issues at clubs was more about the culture implemented at that time.

To say covid didn’t impact his coaching in that his first year is laughable & biased as ****.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back