Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever about the merits of JL as a coach, the use of Covid as an excuse for poor performances is incredibly annoying and used by a whole host of people across different sports to defend poor performances in that period. It’s nonsense.
It’s not like Covid came to affect the Fremantle dockers only, and every other club in the league was covid-free and unaffected in any way by the pandemic.
EVERYONE had 2 years of covid to deal with. In fact, one could argue we got off pretty lightly at freo, certainly by comparison to the eagles and a few others with covid issues.
It certainly helped us having a young list that didn't mind travelling and being away from home for a while.

Certainly wouldn't have helped Longmuir in putting together a new list and communicate a gameplan.

And he is not behind the door when it comes to having a whinge and moan and getting his way.He is an AFL darling, no, not that darling.
Part of what makes him so great. He speaks out. Not scared to defend his players and club, no matter how silly it may seem great to see such defiance and confidence

It’s quite the opposite, Longmuir did an outstanding job over the covid years & the OP didn’t mention poor performance in his comment on Covid. The point is it was his first year of coaching in ever changing circumstances & he had to adjust everything he had planned to do as a senior coach.

Most other teams had established coaches who had spent seasons building a style of play they wanted to implement, Longmuir had 1 preseason & then reduced time with the players over the course of the season to continue to build that plan. At times they could only train in very small groups & meet in very small groups.

To say we got off pretty light, in particular to the WCE is just ridiculous & in fact it’s a credit to Longmuir & the club they were able to protect the players with strong buy in from the players. Any issues at clubs was more about the culture implemented at that time.

To say covid didn’t impact his coaching in that his first year is laughable & biased as *.
My thoughts exactly. Well said.
And remember that our group were glad to go to the GC to help out. This was totally against what the Yellas wanted to do.And also Richmond. I remember watching Jack Reiwoldt almost crying on Fox 36, about going up there, "because some of their payers had families" Heeelloooo Jack .

And remember that our group were glad to go to the GC to help out. This was totally against what the Yellas wanted to do.And also Richmond. I remember watching Jack Reiwoldt almost crying on Fox 36, about going up there, "because some of their payers had families" Heeelloooo Jack .
It's been annoyingly under-reported, but the Richmond players were massive pricks about moving the comp out of Victoria that year in general.

Yep, and while the bleating Eagles got their desserts, Richmond won the flag. Sometimes there's no justice. The Auckland Warriors carried a huge amount of goodwill into the finals this year because of what they went through during COVID, which kept the NRL comp running.

It's been annoyingly under-reported, but the Richmond players were massive pricks about moving the comp out of Victoria that year in general.
i have vague memories of someone (brad sheppard?) in an AFLPA meeting apparently calling out the richmond players who had been strongly against moving into 'hubs etc' ahead of the 2020 restart who promptly shut up when it became apparent it was us/SA moving up to GC

i have vague memories of someone (brad sheppard?) in an AFLPA meeting apparently calling out the richmond players who had been strongly against moving into 'hubs etc' ahead of the 2020 restart who promptly shut up when it became apparent it was us/SA moving up to GC
Yeah I think it was Cotchin who said Richmond was just refuse point blank.

Criticise Richmond all you like for their approach to covid but at the end of the season Jack was holding his third premiership cup.
So whatever they did - it worked.

I'm even more convinced there is way less pressure on JL internally than basically everyone but me believes.

I find it hard to believe his input in list management was to allow us to trade 2 B22 players and our only KPD depth, delist experienced depth players, bring in literally nobody as well as trading out of this years draft IF his job was on the line.

It is the most obvious "we are about the future" statement you could make.

I'm even more convinced there is way less pressure on JL internally than basically everyone but me believes.

I find it hard to believe his input in list management was to allow us to trade 2 B22 players and our only KPD depth, delist experienced depth players, bring in literally nobody as well as trading out of this years draft IF his job was on the line.

I agree with you, he isn't under any real pressure yet. That might be good for him, but not so good for the footy club...

Criticise Richmond all you like for their approach to covid but at the end of the season Jack was holding his third premiership cup.
So whatever they did - it worked.
Two things can be true at once.

1. They were the best football team by a mile that year.
2. They are full of precious prima donnas who wanted one set of rules for them and one for everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are correct, but outside noise will play a big part of any internal pressures & in saying that I think the criticism will move towards Bell firstly from the outside with some sympathy for the coach initially.
But there is some pressure internally for results as Longmuir remains un-contracted beyond next year & if there was complete trust in him I think they would have added another year.

You are correct, but outside noise will play a big part of any internal pressures & in saying that I think the criticism will move towards Bell firstly from the outside with some sympathy for the coach initially.
But there is some pressure internally for results as Longmuir remains un-contracted beyond next year & if there was complete trust in him I think they would have added another year.
I think it's left open in case we fall in a heap. We weren't great this year but we also weren't 14th bad (10 wins @ 90%+ gets you a few spots higher on average).

No need to rush out and sign him now because its unlikely he gets poached and if we do have a proper dire season, we've got some levers to pull.

Having said that, the administration would have to be on the same page with this stuff and would know the pressure is coming to everyone this year (if we don't improve). I hope they all have the stones for it. Need to stay the course.

Do you reckon Hase gives a heads up to the club before these articles come out? I wonder if half the time he's just half-assing some Freo hit-piece for his overlords and says whatever he thinks the vibe is.

To me that Hase article isn't a hit job, it is somewhat supportive and says because of the shape of the list we should not rush any decision, and certainly not dump the bloke mid year. Isn't that the same thing his admirers on here are saying?

To me that Hase article isn't a hit job, it is somewhat supportive and says because of the shape of the list we should not rush any decision, and certainly not dump the bloke mid year. Isn't that the same thing his admirers on here are saying?
Yes, exactly. There is no rush, he's not getting poached.

Give him the year and have a good look at it in October (if its not obvious before - either bottom 2 or finals where I think we are forced to act either way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back