Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The starts are all about being fired up and at the pitch of the game from the very start. I’ve been one of the harsher critics of JL on here this season but in fairness to him - I think the players have to take more responsibility for the slow starts to games. That’s part of player leadership.

Whether JL is a great orator or not (and I doubt he is), professional AFL footballers repeatedly showing up to start games like they have just gotten out of bed is on them more than any others. Especially the team leaders. Players like Ryan, Cox, Pearce, AB, Serong, JOM Sonny etc should not be relying on some inspirational Any Given Sunday type speech from JL to get them up and about.

Plus by the time the game starts it's probably been, what, 30 minutes since the coach's pregame address? No adrenaline fuelled speech is going to last that long.

If anything it's the captain giving the last minute huddle speech who should be aiming for that effect.

Well they do. To an extent.
Unfortunately we don’t know that feeling yet and I wish we knew
How long do you wait though before you realise you’re on the wrong path?
You could see straight away with the Pies in one year that the coach and
game plan could fix their deficiencies.
Then a focus on bringing in more forwards, Hill, and McStay, with Shultz poached
under contract, strike while it’s hot.
Well run off the field with a team of experienced coaches, beforehand they had
Buckley’s.
Jlo is up against the history of FFC, and external influences that ensure we are
not a threat anytime soon.
If your a betting man the cards are stacked against us.

How is Nicks not even mentioned but JL is number 1 when they have both been appointed at the same time but JL made top 5 and won a final and Nicks almost made finals, almost.
Probably because Adelaide were more impressive than us in 2023. Bit of recency bias maybe. Also Adelaide started at rock bottom when Nicks came in - freo were coming off a 12th or 13th place finish and had some talent from the previous few drafts already on board in 2020

Probably because Adelaide were more impressive than us in 2023. Bit of recency bias maybe. Also Adelaide started at rock bottom when Nicks came in - freo were coming off a 12th or 13th place finish and had some talent from the previous few drafts already on board in 2020

Yeah nicks is one of the least pressured I reckon. Adelaide building in a more linear fashion from a lower low.

Yeah recency bias but still 2 places out of top 8, I know they got stitched up with a goal review that would have meant they barely made top 8.
Yeah nicks is one of the least pressured I reckon. Adelaide building in a more linear fashion from a lower low.
Actually not true. Adelaide finished above us the year before Nicks became coach. He then ran them to a wooden spoon, 15th, 14th then 10th.

IMO he has actually been a worse coach than JL literally 1 win more than him this year.

How is Nicks not even mentioned but JL is number 1 when they have both been appointed at the same time but JL made top 5 and won a final and Nicks almost made finals, almost.
This.
Plus Nicks has had players like Dawson and Rankin come in and we have had best 22 going out

Also got peak Tex kicking 70 goals.

It's a combination of recency bias and the fact they score more which is always looked upon more favourably.

Yeah recency bias but still 2 places out of top 8, I know they got stitched up with a goal review that would have meant they barely made top 8.

Actually not true. Adelaide finished above us the year before Nicks became coach. He then ran them to a wooden spoon, 15th, 14th then 10th.

IMO he has actually been a worse coach than JL literally 1 win more than him this year.

And with an extra home game from gather round.

It's just another example of the AFL media and fanbase being too lazy to actually have a proper look at something. I think they have every reason to be optimistic, but there is no world where JL has finals expectations and Nicks doesn't. I think the Crows fans would agree with me too.

For those wondering why JL is listed as top under the pump, you must be forgetting the club publicly stated we’d be in premiership contention by 24/25.

We’re far from this at present and will do well to scrape into the 8 in 2024. JL has had numerous years with high draft picks, as well as this public statement from the club. I think JL being number 1 under the pump is bang on, hence why I’m tipping if Freo lose say 4 of their first 6 games, I think he’ll be sacked mid season.

For those wondering why JL is listed as top under the pump, you must be forgetting the club publicly stated we’d be in premiership contention by 24/25.

We’re far from this at present and will do well to scrape into the 8 in 2024. JL has had numerous years with high draft picks, as well as this public statement from the club. I think JL being number 1 under the pump is bang on, hence why I’m tipping if Freo lose say 4 of their first 6 games, I think he’ll be sacked mid season.

I'm not sure if they knew we would have the experience drain we did, but if we genuinely thought we could strip back to bottom 2 for age and experience and finish top 4 that's just a terrible decision.

Whether JL is the right guy is independent of the "vision" the club has and I hope the admin has the stones to accept responsibility for their stuff up and not pass it to JL alone.

I don’t really like this talk around sacking a coach cause we missed a 5 year plan. People only remember Richmond’s cause it actually came true. It’s pretty difficult to predict certain factors that impact performance so these pans are always speculative.

If you don’t think JLs the man then fair enough. But “numerous years” with high pick and a failure of a 5 year shouldn’t be the reason. No improvement from 2023 means he’s done.

I don’t really like this talk around sacking a coach cause we missed a 5 year plan. People only remember Richmond’s cause it actually came true. It’s pretty difficult to predict certain factors that impact performance so these pans are always speculative.

If you don’t think JLs the man then fair enough. But “numerous years” with high pick and a failure of a 5 year shouldn’t be the reason. No improvement from 2023 means he’s done.
It’s not just because he’s missed the clubs 5 yr plan, it’s because of this and also unless the team finishes top 8 next year, they will have actually gone backwards under Longmuir. He’s had ample time and resources to get the team up and about and so far he hasn’t. You can argue about the youth of the team and lack of experience but that is also part of his responsibility. 5yrs and nothing to show is quite telling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not just because he’s missed the clubs 5 yr plan, it’s because of this and also unless the team finishes top 8 next year, they will have actually gone backwards under Longmuir. He’s had ample time and resources to get the team up and about and so far he hasn’t. You can argue about the youth of the team and lack of experience but that is also part of his responsibility. 5yrs and nothing to show is quite telling
If you concede the age of the list is the problem, but that's partially JL's fault do you also agree then that Walls should go? He's owns a much bigger slice of that pie.

I'm not sure if they knew we would have the experience drain we did, but if we genuinely thought we could strip back to bottom 2 for age and experience and finish top 4 that's just a terrible decision.

Whether JL is the right guy is independent of the "vision" the club has and I hope the admin has the stones to accept responsibility for their stuff up and not pass it to JL alone.
I think people have to stop making excuses for the club/JL. I'm not sure if they knew we would have the experience drain we did sounds like a free pass to the club leadership - they are in significant part responsible for the culture that leads to the experience drain. JL is the main man - for better and for worse.

Yeah but stability in the club has a much higher success rate that shipping out coaches every 3-5 years. Just look at Swans, Tigers, Geelong, Eagles versus Carlton, Essendon, St. Kilda.

Nah I don't think he has, don't think you can say he ran them to a wooden spoon with a straight face.

For clarity my issue with JL has nothing to do with ladder position. It has everything to do with game plan, selection and patterns of play over the last two years.

I think he's just an average afl coach with an inflexible, out of date game plan. 100% the list issues aren't on him but I think it's an easy out for the club and it will be detrimental in the long run to keep him.

Yeah but stability in the club has a much higher success rate that shipping out coaches every 3-5 years. Just look at Swans, Tigers, Geelong, Eagles versus Carlton, Essendon, St. Kilda.
Big difference is they all have had sustained success ( Eagles until recently)

If Lyon got us into finals every year after 2015…he would of 100% been kept on after 2019.

Connolly and Lyon are the only two coaches of ours who have coached into their 6th years. One made 2 finals series and the other 4 including a GF. Longmuir to join them has to at least play finals, doesn’t even have to win one.

I think people have to stop making excuses for the club/JL. I'm not sure if they knew we would have the experience drain we did sounds like a free pass to the club leadership - they are in significant part responsible for the culture that leads to the experience drain. JL is the main man - for better and for worse.
I already said it was a terrible decision. How is that a free pass? The combination of the plan and the stripping back of the list is just garbage. That's not a JL thing though and it's ludicrous to lay it solely at his feet.

Big difference is they all have had sustained success ( Eagles until recently)

If Lyon got us into finals every year after 2015…he would of 100% been kept on after 2019.

Connolly and Lyon are the only two coaches of ours who have coached into their 6th years. One made 2 finals series and the other 4 including a GF. Longmuir to join them has to at least play finals, doesn’t even have to win one.
Well it's the chicken or the egg isn't it. Is it sustained success from stability or vice versa, I would say it is from stability and people running the club having a plan and not chopping and changing. Which it looks like we are finally doing for the first time since I have been following.
We're not even that bad atm it's not like we have been collecting wooden spoons either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back