Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the club hired Hird my kids are getting Eagles. ... Port Adelaide ... Collingwood ... Glory ........ Fever memberships for Christmas.

Left field, impressing the board... Does Belly already need another feather for the cap.

I believe some, not all, the assistants that you here getting pumped up in the media are some to stay away from, examples of this would be Damian Drum and Mark Nield. Both were highly touted yet proved to be basket cases, probably nice blokes but not great coaches at all. Did their previous clubs just want to see the back of them as an assistant, therefore sprouting that they are the messiah? As an aside I do not put Justin Longmuir in this camp. On the suprise candidate, sometimes it is the ones you dont here about that are the best, why would a club want to lose an awesome assistant? Why would you continually put their name up in lights when you then run the risk of losing them? Look at Chris Fagan, I dont recall ever hearing about him as a possible coach before he became one, look how good he has turned out to be. Craig Macrae?? Just coached Richmond VFL side to a flag?? Pretty good pedigree?? I think there is a reason Richmond dont put his name up in lights. Click here and have a read Craig Macrae He may not be left field enough but surely worth talking too.

Chris Fagan is interesting because it’s debatable about how much “coaching” he actually does, quite a different role than the fingers in all the pies coach that’s prevalent across the league

Its not just all about the senior coach that gets us into finals and into a grand final.It’s a bit like what fyfe said regarding his Brownlow. It’s the players blocking for him
and creating space for him that got him the medal. His ability is just the cherry on top. The senior coach is just like that’s we need (quality assistants ) or we are bound to continue a unsuccessful club with no structure. I don’t mind who is senior coach. If we get the other guys we have interviewed as assistants that would prob be a more successful outcome.

I believe some, not all, the assistants that you here getting pumped up in the media are some to stay away from, examples of this would be Damian Drum and Mark Nield. Both were highly touted yet proved to be basket cases, probably nice blokes but not great coaches at all. Did their previous clubs just want to see the back of them as an assistant, therefore sprouting that they are the messiah? As an aside I do not put Justin Longmuir in this camp. On the suprise candidate, sometimes it is the ones you dont here about that are the best, why would a club want to lose an awesome assistant? Why would you continually put their name up in lights when you then run the risk of losing them? Look at Chris Fagan, I dont recall ever hearing about him as a possible coach before he became one, look how good he has turned out to be. Craig Macrae?? Just coached Richmond VFL side to a flag?? Pretty good pedigree?? I think there is a reason Richmond dont put his name up in lights. Click here and have a read Craig Macrae He may not be left field enough but surely worth talking too.

Correct, this argument for a certain person because they are spoken highly of would have to be THE worst criteria to go off. There's never been a coach appointed that wasn't highly spoken of, but there's been a shit load of crap coaches.

Correct, this argument for a certain person because they are spoken highly of would have to be THE worst criteria to go off. There's never been a coach appointed that wasn't highly spoken of, but there's been a s**t load of crap coaches.

And sometimes a good reputation is well earned. That's why we have a selection proccess.

Correct, this argument for a certain person because they are spoken highly of would have to be THE worst criteria to go off. There's never been a coach appointed that wasn't highly spoken of, but there's been a s**t load of crap coaches.
No one spoke highly of Lyon when he was appointed...

The whole article about Sumich not going well is highly odd. It mentions mainly things other than actual coaching like the importance of a CEO concern and discipline etc

I think a large concern is the S&C department that a lot of you have highlighted. Will the coach have the power to do anything about that since he needs his best men on the field?

This $1.08 on JLo is that some sort of record for a betting market? Surely no one else wins it from here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Cox would be pretty left field. There are multitudes of assistants, Matthew Knights, Hocking, etc. that could have expressed interest. The only thing you can probably be sure of is the left field candidate is not managed by Colin Young or we would have heard about it. It is the only reservation I have with Longmuir, nothing to do with his coaching or potential success in the job but his appointment would give Young even more power in our club.

Dean Cox would be pretty left field. There are multitudes of assistants, Matthew Knights, Hocking, etc. that could have expressed interest. The only thing you can probably be sure of is the left field candidate is not managed by Colin Young or we would have heard about it. It is the only reservation I have with Longmuir, nothing to do with his coaching or potential success in the job but his appointment would give Young even more power in our club.

Dean Cox was the first person I thought of when they said left, left field.

I can’t recall what others said, but I know I was pretty excited that we finally had a proven coach at the club.
I know most of the Saints players were pretty devastated that he had gone.
Yeah agree however I know there were heaps not too excited about what was going to happen (boring, curt with the media) and low and behold we end up in a GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back