Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. The concentration of injuries on our back line and young developing player has hamstrung us for a few years now.

However what's that saying about doing the same thing and expecting a different result? At the end of last year we should have made the hard decision on one of Hamling or Pearce.

Take the blinkers of SM, every coach in the AFL past and present has said "'x' player has things they need to work on."

Nah singling out an experienced player in the leadership group after a loss is not a good look.

Sonny needs to own his own performance which has been a series of garbage with stinking attitude and flopping and sh*t disposal.

he’ll get the respect others were asking for him when he does that.

I love Sonny but he shits me to tears at his continual flopping like hes been shot. He seriously needs to be dragged till he stops the shit.

Nah singling out an experienced player in the leadership group after a loss is not a good look.
Wasn’t he literally asked about Conca’s status, he had to respond no?

Additionally, I blame you for Schultz’s return to mediocrity, the time you change your opinion and he immediately moves back to spudville 🤠

Probably the same ones who bag out our recruiters for not addressing needs when all the players who would address those needs are injured.

Spare me , look at all those defenders out and we’ve still performed well the last few weeks and we are still throwing 1st rounders at the backline

Its ****ing insane

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Then every coach ever should cop it for doing this.

I'm not sure how Conca is going to recover from that devastating feedback of "work on a few things".

So your boss holds a conference in front of all your workmates and states youre being demoted because you're not up to standard and need to work on a few things even though you are one of the most experienced in the firm.
How would you feel?
Maybe Longmuir could have said at the presser he was being rested which is the standard reply and told Conca behind closed doors what he needed to work on.
If Conca isn't happy Longmuir loses a players confidence .

Maybe Longmuir could have said at the presser he was being rested which is the standard reply and told Conca behind closed doors what he needed to work on.

Don't think that would have worked once he was named as the medical sub.

Wasn’t he literally asked about Conca’s status, he had to respond no?

Additionally, I blame you for Schultz’s return to mediocrity, the time you change your opinion and he immediately moves back to spudville 🤠

Yeh not happy about Schultz but I must admit to not being totally truthful and appeasing my critics and there are a lot of those. They all got to me. :(
On Conca being rested could have been trotted out because he was carrying a hammy.

So your boss holds a conference in front of all your workmates and states youre being demoted because you're not up to standard and need to work on a few things even though you are one of the most experienced in the firm.
How would you feel?
Salim I get that you're critical of Longmuir, I really don't have any problem with that. He hasn't been great since taking over (nor has he been bad imo). But I want to ask how strongly do you really have a problem with his specific response to a specific question asked about that player? Keep in mind that the team sheet had already been released with the explanation "omitted" next to his name (not "injured", not "rested") so any other explanation would have come across as mixed messaging or disingenuous. Is the entirely inoffensive statement of "work on a few things" really that insulting to you? Do you think it's that offensive to Conca? Is it an answer that you've seen no other coach give before in press conferences whether they be successful or unsuccessful, rookie or senior?

Salim I get that you're critical of Longmuir, I really don't have any problem with that. He hasn't been great since taking over (nor has he been bad imo). But I want to ask how strongly do you really have a problem with his specific response to a specific question asked about that player? Keep in mind that the team sheet had already been released with the explanation "omitted" next to his name (not "injured", not "rested") so any other explanation would have come across as mixed messaging or disingenuous. Is the entirely inoffensive statement of "work on a few things" really that insulting to you? Do you think it's that offensive to Conca? Is it an answer that you've seen no other coach give before in press conferences whether they be successful or unsuccessful, rookie or senior?

I thought it strange to pick him as the sub and then state he had things to work on.
Mixed messages to him and the other emergencies incl Blakely who I thought should have been retained.
It's not insulting to me but I bet Conca is not happy about it.
By the way Longmuir hasn't set the world on fire but I don't want him sacked. I want him to get the team up and going
I will say it again I don't think publicly criticising a senior leader after a bad loss is the way to go

I thought it strange to pick him as the sub and then state he had things to work on.
Mixed messages to him and the other emergencies incl Blakely who I thought should have been retained.
It's not insulting to me but I bet Conca is not happy about it.
By the way Longmuir hasn't set the world on fire but I don't want him sacked. I want him to get the team up and going
I will say it again I don't think publicly criticising a senior leader after a bad loss is the way to go
I never said you wanted JL sacked, I said you've been critical of him.

Picking someone as the sub is essentially the same as listing them as an emergency, and there's been plenty of instances of players being dropped to the emergency list when the coaches think they have stuff to work on - I actually think it's one of the better ways to keep them motivated. Obviously Freo being in the middle of an extended road trip has something to do with it as well.

Also I'm sure Conca wasn't happy about getting dropped and granted I don't know him at all. But I would hazard a guess and that when any senior player playing in a highly public sport is dropped from their team, they would expect that the question would be asked in a media conference. I would also go as far as to say that any senior player expecting this would also not be unhappy with the coach using the phrase "has to work on a few things". It's probably the politest way a head coach could address the question. I'll take it a step further, any player that did have a problem with that response, probably needs to develop thicker skin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our small forwards were diabolical yesterday.

From our very first foray into F50 that slipped through Switta's hands and was rebounded to the other end for a goal, to that pathetic set shot on goal by Shultz that fell so short we didn't even have anyone in the vicinity to stop Essendon from marking, these need to be highlighted at training and have a process for them in the future. We don't treat our F50 entries with the respect they deserve and the days of Ballas chasing down everyone like a mad dog and locking the ball in are a distant memory.

All the smalls should have a tackle count they need to reach. I understand Henry wants to be a skilled outside player but he need to get his hands dirty and start to learn the art of tackling. Same with Colyer. Between those 2 and Crowden yesterday they combined for the grand total of 4 tackles.
To be fair to Schultz BTW, in quite a few games till recently he has been Ballas-esque in his attempts at chase-and-tackle, if not quite as successful. Henry whom I like seems timid but was marginally (!) less so yesterday. If Colyer can consistently combine his breakaway speed for a goal assist or goal I won't be critical of his lack of tackles. Crowden, such a likeable-seeming character, but disappointingly been too far from the action recently to be in market to tackle.

Acres and Lobb were both fine. Posters on here watch games and just see what their preconceptions tell them to see.
Acres did some ok things but it was pretty clear at the ground that he didn't go a number of times when he needed to. I imagine that would be pretty disheartening for those who do put their body on the line

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Acres did some ok things but it was pretty clear at the ground that he didn't go a number of times when he needed to. I imagine that would be pretty disheartening for those who do put their body on the line

Acres will be one of the first picked next week which is a pretty clear indication that he is doing what the coach is asking him to do. If not, Tucker, Aish or Cerra can play wing. Bewley may be ready, Walker could step up, Frederick may make a miracle recovery, Western could force his way into the 22, O’Driscoll could suddenly fire, but the clear indication is that Acres will be in that position for the rest of the season.

Acres will be one of the first picked next week which is a pretty clear indication that he is doing what the coach is asking him to do. If not, Tucker, Aish or Cerra can play wing. Bewley may be ready, Walker could step up, Frederick may make a miracle recovery, Western could force his way into the 22, O’Driscoll could suddenly fire, but the clear indication is that Acres will be in that position for the rest of the season.
Acres is incredibly frustrating
Has probably Some of the best ball disposal skills in the team
Pretty much the perfect sized body , big enough to bust through but still athletic.
Just doesn't stick tackles and get his head over it .
Must say he has improved last few games , I think he was feeling pressure building for his position which is good .

If Bewley plays another 25 or 30 disposal game at WAFL I’d be hoping he’s putting some serious pressure on Acres to step up a level. The argument above about Conca made me laugh. I hope he is pissed off with Jlo for dropping him.
And then I hope he come back in to the side in a week or two and plays out of his skin as a nice “**** you” to Longmuir for dropping him.
That’s exactly what should happen in any serious team.
There’s a few others who could use the same treatment too actually.
I remember GWS dropped conoglio last year coz he was shit, then he came back and tore it up on his first match back.

How would you feel?
Experienced players I'm sure can suck it up. At every level that would occur and not just in sports, stop expecting cuddles and plush toys.

Hill used to do the same thing, wingers are a different beast. They have to balance getting into space, creating separation etc.

Experienced players I'm sure can suck it up. At every level that would occur and not just in sports, stop expecting cuddles and plush toys.

If that was any one else except Longmuir had made a comment like that you would be up in arms.
ie a some one named Ross.
The Longmuir can do no wrong brigade are certainly up and about ;)

Acres is incredibly frustrating
Has probably Some of the best ball disposal skills in the team
Pretty much the perfect sized body , big enough to bust through but still athletic.
Just doesn't stick tackles and get his head over it .
Must say he has improved last few games , I think he was feeling pressure building for his position which is good .

Unfortunately he’s the best we’ve currently got for the position but Valente’s coming for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back