Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid made the announcement last year about the Gibbs departure. Wether it was his decision or not to do so he was the front man and from there it all went down hill. SOS was never going to give up a contracted player in that circumstance for anything less than overs. I think Reid may have learned from that and has taken a far different approach this time around.

The fact we came so close this year has put Carlton in a strong position. Our supporters want the club to take the next step and damn the future. Reid’s worth as a negotiator will be tested this time around. SOS doesn’t have to do a thing. Just sit back and wait for us to approach them. I would not want to be in Reids shoes.

Reid made the announcement last year about the Gibbs departure. Wether it was his decision or not to do so he was the front man and from there it all went down hill. SOS was never going to give up a contracted player in that circumstance for anything less than overs. I think Reid may have learned from that and has taken a far different approach this time around.

The fact we came so close this year has put Carlton in a strong position. Our supporters want the club to take the next step and damn the future. Reid’s worth as a negotiator will be tested this time around. SOS doesn’t have to do a thing. Just sit back and wait for us to approach them. I would not want to be in Reids shoes.

I agree Reid’s in a difficult position because SOS can’t lose. He literally can’t lose.

The issue I have is putting all our eggs in the same basket as last year if we don’t think we can close it.

We know what we we’re dealing with, we’ve had a year to sort it out, so there is no excuse for going all in on a difficult target if there’s no back up plan.

It could be that..... Reids riding instructions are to get a best 22 player for the near term.

and that we need only 1 first round pick to invest in the medium to long term?

what's a man to do?

I agree Reid’s in a difficult position because SOS can’t lose. He literally can’t lose.

The issue I have is putting all our eggs in the same basket as last year if we don’t think we can close it.

We know what we we’re dealing with, we’ve had a year to sort it out, so there is no excuse for going all in on a difficult target if there’s no back up plan.
SOS can lose. He has other deals to get done but what is he using as trade bait. Why couldn't he get Rockliff there? Reid does not need Gibbs. Gibbs big PR but its not the end of the world if does come. I believe we have a plan. Why should Reid share it with BF.

I'm not saying we should have kept him. We should have traded him for a fair price
He was offered up and the only taker for Lyons was the Gold Coast, this fair deal you speak of was never going to happen, it was a choice of keeping him or taking what was offered. Clearly Pyke did not see Lyons as part of his future team or he'd have been retained.

Last edited:
It sounds as if the list committee has told Red to bring in a best 22 player, that we don't just want a handful of draft picks.

This is purely speculation but maybe the deal with Carlton is 16 plus 12 (if we can get it.)

If not....16 plus 10, with something coming back to us.

We'd prefer the first option so we can keep 10, thus our hard line approach with CC.
Either of these would be career suicide for Reid.

He'd be paying more than would have been accepted last year, and for a player a year older.

The only way either of these go through is if we get a second round coming back (most preferrably a 2018 2nd)

I’ll wait until Thursday but I gotta say, some of you folk are easily satisfied.

We are in a premiership window now. We won the minor premiership and played (albeit woefully) in a grand final. The clear directive this year should’ve been acquire “difference makers” whatever the cost. I would’ve been hitting up guys who would be best 5-10 at other football clubs around the mark even if I knew they would never come. At worst it drives up the price for fellow contenders.

Further to that I would’ve expected to see a list of obtainable players who would fill a void. I would’ve happily gone into this draft with almost no picks if it meant acquiring talent that slots straight into the best 22.

This may be happening behind the scenes but we are fast approaching deadline day and I’m seeing no results. One of Reid or the administration and coaching team are responsible for that if it doesn’t come to fruition.

If trade period ends right now then I don’t see how we win the flag in 2018 even with similar ‘organic growth’ (cop out) given the losses through trade and injury.

The clock is ticking

I’ll wait until Thursday but I gotta say, some of you folk are easily satisfied.

We are in a premiership window now. We won the minor premiership and played (albeit woefully) in a grand final. The clear directive this year should’ve been acquire “difference makers” whatever the cost. I would’ve been hitting up guys who would be best 5-10 at other football clubs around the mark even if I knew they would never come. At worst it drives up the price for fellow contenders.

Further to that I would’ve expected to see a list of obtainable players who would fill a void. I would’ve happily gone into this draft with almost no picks if it meant acquiring talent that slots straight into the best 22.

This may be happening behind the scenes but we are fast approaching deadline day and I’m seeing no results. One of Reid or the administration and coaching team are responsible for that if it doesn’t come to fruition.

If trade period ends right now then I don’t see how we win the flag in 2018 even with similar ‘organic growth’ (cop out) given the losses through trade and injury.

The clock is ticking

It's not about being satisfied, it's about not settling for a deal that leaves us worse off without guaranteeing us anything. Gibbs makes us a better team, but not if we have to sell the farm to get him. I'm not necessarily happy with this trade period, but I still would rather we did nothing for the rest of the period rather than doing something where we don't come off as being the clear winners.

I too hope that there is something in the wings. I'm a bit of a sucker for potential, so I'm still hoping we make a late play for Francis. I think in the right environment and with the right development team around him he could be the perfect Lever replacement. Don't think that'll get done though

I too hope that there is something in the wings. I'm a bit of a sucker for potential, so I'm still hoping we make a late play for Francis. I think in the right environment and with the right development team around him he could be the perfect Lever replacement. Don't think that'll get done though
Me too. He is worth the punt. Huge underage talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could be that..... Reids riding instructions are to get a best 22 player for the near term.

and that we need only 1 first round pick to invest in the medium to long term?

what's a man to do?

There would be a List Mgt strategy that is largely co-created by Roo, Birdman, Reid, Hamish and Pykey that is endorsed by the Board

It is then Reid's role to execute on this strategy

Right now he's at an overall score of -1.

-1 for announcing Bryce Gibbs' intentions in 2016 then failing to get the job done.
-1 for trading Lyons for a third round pick
+1 for getting a good deal for Lever.

Overall Score: -1

Reid moves up to an even rating!

-1 for announcing Bryce Gibbs' intentions in 2016 then failing to get the job done.
+1 for getting any value for Wigg whatsoever at the trade table

Overall Score: 0

Right now he's at an overall score of -1.

Overall Score: -1

There was no way that we could have extracted more for Gold Coast. Maybe we should have used Lyons to announce our new trading attitude and and sent Lyons to the PSD or ND. I wouldn't have wanted Lyons to go through that, we valued him as outside our best 22 and we got an equivalent price. I blame the coaches who didn't see him as a viable part of our midfield going forward. Many posters still think he wasn't best 22 quality.

He was offered up and the only taker for Lyons was the Gold Coast, this fair deal you speak of was never going to happen, it was a choice of keeping him or taking what was offered. Clearly Pyke did not see Lyons as part of his future team or he'd have been retained.

Inside information suggested that there were 3 or 4 suitors for Lyons and he chose Gold Coast late in the piece.

If Reid hands over 2 first round picks this year after declining to do it last year, he should be sacked. If a car salesman asks for $20k for a used car and then drives it around for 12 months and then asks for $20k again when you go back to buy it a year later, you tell him where to go.

We are in a unique position. We are in a premiership window and our cap has obviously been tight due to overpaying older underperforming contracted players and not being ruthless enough by moving these players out while they still have currency. Therefore getting players in is tough when our salary cap is tight and potential trades see us as being conservative in regards to match committee selection policy. Our biggest problem which has caused our issues is not playing younger players when we had chances too. Pyke improved in this area this year but he still has a way to go. The fact we played andy otten in the gf when he was clearly not the right choice shows that we have a way to go to becoming a ruthless club. Reid has drammatically improved this year but i would like to see us pinpoint particular players to fill roles that other clubs seems to find with regularity. We have many selling points as a club. I just hope these are being sold to potential trades in the most effective manner. We also seem to have a confrontational relationship with a lot of player managers which i know a lot of clubs do. Just wonder if some of these managers steer their client away from us out of spite or telling their client we are tight. As we all know, player managers are cockroaches who only care about their commission. Colin Young is a prime example.

This above....absolutely out-f*ckin-standing post. Take a bow :thumbsu: :beercheers:.

What we need to do with the underperforming contracted players is if they won't accept a Trade, then we anchor them in the Magoos - rain, hail, or shine. Just absolutely refuse to give them senior game time. If they don't like it, they can accept a trade or continue to play in the Magoos.

I've tried to discuss these sorts of issues in a post here.

Last edited:
If Reid hands over 2 first round picks this year after declining to do it last year, he should be sacked. If a car salesman asks for $20k for a used car and then drives it around for 12 months and then asks for $20k again when you go back to buy it a year later, you tell him where to go.

Didn't have 4 first rounders last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back