Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Why, because some journo keeps publically "guessing" about what's going on?

For all anyone knows the negotiations are going very well and both Hobart & North will benefit greatly from the deal.

Mofra, I think you've written a very well meaning couple of comments here, but I think the general angst is not so much the fact that North is trying to make a financially smart deal for them and their club, but the fact that it will seem to "fly in the face of" comments about playing all home games in Melbourne, and remaining a Melbourne club, which was somewhat of a rallying cry for Brayshaw at the time. Secondly, a cynical view could be that they are somewhat handing themselves to Hobart, which could be a catalyst for a move one day down there.

There would be small details such as "we may need to sell games in the short term" that was posed by Brayshaw, but no doubt Wilson will gloss over this type of thing...and in the world of escalation that the football media lives in, I'm sure that'll be ignored very quickly. The wolves may well set in.

As SLF stated, North have maybe stepped on a landmine here. They might want to consider their options before stepping off.

Many of you fans are asking to "use" Hobart to rid yourself of debt, and then get out...but that is exactly why your other forays interstate never worked. In a way, embracing the community, like Hawthorn has, is one of the only ways to have a positive, honest relationship with who pays you down there. But as stated, this could also hurt you if its "too good", as the AFL might make it too hard up in Melbourne, and throw some cherries down to Tasmania for you to stay. All hypothetical, obviously.

It time for all North fans to make the call that playing all home games in Melbourne has failed. Your fans have failed to back the move, and the club cant make ends meet.

A bold experiment sustained by hope rather than reality.
Ah yes, the old chestnut from Caro's surgery room.

Unfortunatley USC article is blatantly wrong.
Anyone relying on a Caroline Wilson article to condemn North Melbourne reveals themselves to be either a naive fool, or as blatantly malicious as she is.

As to whether North IS playing 4 games in Hobart, and if so, as to whether it is a smart deal for NMFC or a risky mistake that undoes the good work of the last 3 years..........well, I'd rather learn the details, and the facts, rather than just take Wilson's word for it that a deal has been done that sets North up for relocation.

For god's sake, how many times has she been wrong about North in the last 3 or 4 years?

Anyone relying on a Caroline Wilson article to condemn North Melbourne reveals themselves to be either a naive fool, or as blatantly malicious as she is.

( not replying to you specifically, but generically at north supporters of this view ).

OK, I'll concede Caro isn't exactly unbiased when it comes to North and relocation, but what in this article is actually incorrect?

( not replying to you specifically, but generically at north supporters of this view ).

OK, I'll concede Caro isn't exactly unbiased when it comes to North and relocation, but what in this article is actually incorrect?

Most of her entire section on the GC proposal.

Once again selling games to generate cash and at the same time wanting more cash of other clubs via robin hood taxes.

This clearly indicates that despite being given everything they asked for, 11 home games in Melbourne, a new stadium deal and new facilites they can still not support themselves.

As members and supporter , its our perception that counts the most. If we lose focus the trouble starts. If we don't, she can't cause it. Big deals on BF are small deals in the real world.

Smart post from Mofra.

I disagree. Entirely. This carping and negativity does have an effect on people.

Once again selling games to generate cash and at the same time wanting more cash of other clubs via robin hood taxes.

This clearly indicates that despite being given everything they asked for, 11 home games in Melbourne, a new stadium deal and new facilites they can still not support themselves.

We are not the ones pushing the Robin Hood Tax.

We can support ourselves in Melbourne - we'll make another profit this year and we don't get the largest AFL handout (compensation)

I don't like this Tassie shit but some people at the club obviously see it as being in the club's best interest.

Time will tell.

No deals have been signed.

Also worth remembering, even if a deal is signed, until we see the terms, its pure speculation.

As I said, I don't like it so far. A deal gets signed in terms that are good for us short, long and medium term, I'll change my mind.

I disagree. Entirely. This carping and negativity does have an effect on people.

It does, and on here we are doing most of it.

Her article is almost all untrue and the other parts are her own opinion. We should attack it as it deserves, not stand behind her and attack the club.

The onlyt thing "achingly familiar" about now compared to 2007 and earlier is her pathetic determination to talk North down. The club has a a new name. new home base, stable sponsors, stable membership, stable or rising crowds against earlier years against the same opponents, member ownership and a board and CEO that work in the club's interests rather than against the club for the AFL.

Sharing facilities or considering playing interstate games were never ruled out and shouldn't be looked at as sad decisions becaused she says so - they could make a lot of sense. The club as it is now can consider them because it is not the club as it was then - it could not be more different. Her ability to send us back emotionally is unparallalled and I will not get sucked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might not be pushing it but you need it the most. You're already getting it - all that is being proposed is upping the rate and taxing the big clubs at a higher level.

What we need is a fairer fixture and more freedom to raise money for ourselves. What the AFL wants is a fixture that makes maximum money that it can control and hand out as it chooses to suit its own purposes. I expect them to win.

I don't like the tax idea - I don't like the AFL using its financial arrangements to set clubs against each other. All the clubs should be working together to free up more money for all the clubs, out of the AFL's budget that all the clubs help to bring in. No-one pays money to watch the AFL Commission. We all pay plenty to watch our clubs play and they should all get more back from the pool without having to beg the AFL for it or do the AFL special favours.

Then why all the tyre-kicking?

I guess we'd rather be in a stronger position than just being sustainable. Money apparently talks. You get better match scheduling, you get to wear your own jumper, all kinds of things that would be nice.

We are not the ones pushing the Robin Hood Tax.

We can support ourselves in Melbourne - we'll make another profit this year and we don't get the largest AFL handout (compensation)

I don't like this Tassie shit but some people at the club obviously see it as being in the club's best interest.

Time will tell.

No deals have been signed.

Also worth remembering, even if a deal is signed, until we see the terms, its pure speculation.

As I said, I don't like it so far. A deal gets signed in terms that are good for us short, long and medium term, I'll change my mind.

Eugene Arocca, the CEO of financially-beleaguered North Melbourne, said the suggestion of an increase in attendance levies on the league’s wealthier clubs was "recognition that there are inequalities in stadium deals".

"It would only be one element that rectifies inequalities…" Arocca said this morning on SEN radio, adding that his club applauded any measure the AFL took to address the disparity in revenues between AFL clubs.

He said Collingwood averaged more than 60,000 fans at its games, from which it generated over $8 million, whereas the Kangaroos averaged less than half that number and made barely $1 million from the gate each year

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robin-hood-reactions-20100727-10tbm.html

I thought you got a new stadium deal, yet your CEO who said it was what you needed is in the press wanting more already, at my clubs expense. Collingwood supporters do not want anymore of their hard earned being used to support other clubs. We support our club to make it strong, not yours.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robin-hood-reactions-20100727-10tbm.html

I thought you got a new stadium deal, yet your CEO who said it was what you needed is in the press wanting more already, at my clubs expense. Collingwood supporters do not want anymore of their hard earned being used to support other clubs. We support our club to make it strong, not yours.

Get over yourself. I've been to every Collingwood game in Melbourne since I got together with my partner in 1999, I've bought Pies memberships and jumpers for my kids, and it never crosses my mind to think that I'm giving them money so people like you can get on your high horse. Your club is admirably strong for all sorts of reasons - its supporter base is certainly one of them, but you are no more responsible for that than I am for North's.

North wants more to balance the inequities in the schedule and stadium arrangements, which are completely out of the club's hands - but it wants them and should get them from the AFL, not directly from specific other clubs. I don't know why they couldn't take lower cuts from some games/clubs without having to take extra from others.

As to whether North IS playing 4 games in Hobart, and if so, as to whether it is a smart deal for NMFC or a risky mistake that undoes the good work of the last 3 years..........well, I'd rather learn the details, and the facts, rather than just take Wilson's word for it that a deal has been done that sets North up for relocation.

For god's sake, how many times has she been wrong about North in the last 3 or 4 years?

Truth hurts, Caro is spot on

She has poured out some truly classical rubbish today.

Just take a look at this:

It has achieved little of what it promised and even its new facility at Arden Street - something every Victorian club has achieved or is on schedule to largely through public money - could become a shared facility with the Melbourne Tigers Basketball Club, with the Kangaroos confirming last night that negotiations were under way.

Melbourne Tigers Basketball Club = A summer sport.

Can anyone explain the relevance of that mind boggling statement to me?

She is reaching so hard that she could very well end up snapping in half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back