Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn are realistic. Tasmania isn't forever. They will eventually get a team, either start up, or moved from Melbourne. We'll get packed up and sent back to Melbourne and we'll retain a decent percentage of the Tasmanian community.

Hawthorn have invested in the state and community. They don't just play there, and they won't be forgotton when they leave.

Hawkinspired;18496725 Hawthorn have invested in the state and community. They don't just play there said:
Hawthorn have what? Invested in what?. Who is paying who for games?
They came to MAKE money. End of story. Like StKilda & Fizroy, they piss of at some stage. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
We want our own team to 'invest' in. Not more skint Victorian suburban blood sucking organisations.

and still nothing about where the money is coming from!

i'd be really surprised if its the afl. i dont believe they have a 'next expansion market' in mind. with only 500,000 people, most of whom are afl fans anyway, i would imagine the afl chuckling to themselves that the tassie government funds these matches, because i'm sure the afl would be doing it by now if the tas govt wasnt. theyve been taking advantage of tassie for a decade now - the afl has no need to tip its own money in as well.

and i cant see it being funded federally. both franklin (southern tassie, including hobarts eastern shore) and denison (hobart) are both safe as houses for labor. an announcement that, with a budget in deficit, someone wants to spend millions of dollars on the richest sport in the country to pander to two safe seats would be counter productive in theextreme.

I see two possibilities.

My main concern is the AFL are keen for us to be involved. To steal a line from The Thick Of It, now we are taking advice from our own rapist.

The Bad And Far More Likely Scenario:

Having lured us into the bedroom at the party, the AFL locks the door and turns nasty, pulling a knife. It has been said to me by someone who is well placed to know that the AFL are increasingly concerned about Hawthorn 'owning' the Tassie market. The AFL doesn't like this.

So my fear is that with us agreeing to four games, the AFL continues to screw us slowly in Melbourne, scheduling a draw that continues to see low attendances, stagnating or falling membership, thus increasing the pressure and reliance on Tassie.

Then, the AFL turns the screw on Hawthorn. Their deal is not as secure as they may think. There is government support for it NOW.

I find it tremendously ironic that a club led by a man who suffered a surprise election defeat in 99 continues to think that government will act predictably in perpetuity.

In say four years, having bled us dry, the AFL goes to the Tassie Govt of the day and says, look, we'll take that spend off your hands, you can invest in incest counselling services or something. We'll guarantee four/five games at Launceston, that will still, it just won't be BHawthorn, even better, it will be the Tassie Kangaroos.

So the AFL thyen says to Hawthorn, bad luck chaps, Tassie fun is over. But you've got these 50k members you keep telling us about and all this money, you'll be fine right? Right?

Then we see the Tassie Kangaroos playing half their home games in Hobart and half in Launceston. That way the AFL can say that it has a Tassie team that represents the whole state. And one less Melbourne team.

Anyone, especially Hawthorn fans who thinks that is implausible should recall recent AFL history.

They broke a deal with you over moving from Waverley, nakedly shafted you. They'd do it to you over Tassie in a flash if they thought it was for their advantage.
I agree with your view on the AFL and North.

But for Hawthorn, Tasmania is a Sponsorship (very lucrative) deal.
Like Mazda and North. The AFL cannot really ruin a sponsorship deal, nor would they.

If Hawthorn went looking for a major sponsor now, we would get one.
2008 Premiers, a very attractive brand, players like Franklin, Hodge, Rioli, all very marketable.

Another Premiership down the track and it won't matter who our major sponsor is, we'll just get another.

North on the other hand, could be time to close your eyes and think of England. :(

BTW, ironic that all these vehement North supporters so very much against Tasmania (apart from Brad Roo) can turn around so quickly and embrace it. Maybe they teach that at Arden St, because Brayshaw is a master of it.

Also very funny to read North posters banging on about how Hawthorn will have to get out of tasmania soon. LOL. Nothing signed, no members down there, no money yet and you think Hawthorn will get shafted. Massive LOL. *shakes head at North*

Of course you'd get another sponsor.

But I do suspect you under estimate the AFL's megalomania.

They hate you being as successful in Tassie as you have.

And as they demonstrated after Waverley when they screwed you on the games at the G thing, they are more than willing to screw you.

They screw every club not called Collingwood.

As I said, I don't like this Tassie stuff one little bit but I will wait and see how the club plays it before making up my mind.
Hang on SLF, this is Big Footy. Why wait for actual details?

Much better to rant/rave/gloat/moan about the Hobart deal being secured/falling through, on the basis of rumours aired on Bay 13, or media reports based on speculation about who North has or hasn't been dealing with, and what the eventual deal (if any) may or may not involve in terms of sponsorship, fixturing, guaranteed revenue, etc etc.

Hawthorn have what? Invested in what?. Who is paying who for games?
They came to MAKE money. End of story. Like StKilda & Fizroy, they piss of at some stage. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
We want our own team to 'invest' in. Not more skint Victorian suburban blood sucking organisations.

Yes. Tasmania pay us for the logo on our shirt, and for 4 games per year. They get millions of revenue from us.

Thats just the surface. Hawthorn run community camps promoting the game from a grass roots level. They visit every primary school in tassie. There is 226 of them. It's no wonder Hawthorn have 15'000 kids as members.

Despite what happens in the future, Hawthorn have already set up and gained interest amoungst the community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said the AFL had their head in the sand.

Obviously they are well aware of the rigged draw benefitting some clubs as well as North's value in pioneering markets and decades of innovation and spirit. A healthy competition is good for everyone and is the only way the AFL will expand and reach it's true potential.

Finally the powers aren't bending over to accommodate Collingwood and their stranglehold on the spectacle and balance of the game.

Who thought a top of the tree Pies would be a good thing.

It's another throw off mate:

To the North supporters out there (genuine question and I'll put my hand up in that I haven't read this entire thread), why would Arocca and the North administration be so strong in their smokescreen attitude? Is it because they don't want to alienate the North supporters until they have time to go public with their spin? Or is is something else that I am missing?

Apparently Arocca was interviewed this morning and he was strong in his rejection of a HUN article that stated that some senior Tas person met with Brayshaw on the weekend. The journo was then interviewed and he was adamant that it did occur. Someone is lying and whilst I'm by nature very wary of journo's, in this case I'm siding towards him due to the conviction in his voice. And yeah yeah I may be getting it completely wrong but I get the impression North are overly sensitive with the entire Tassie thing and want to control the news that comes out.

FWIW, good on them if they can pull it off. I would have like the Tigers to pick up the cash but if North get it then more power to them. I just don't get why they are so defensive??

The whisper from a very reliable source is that the money is coming from the TCA via the Federal Government.

Yes, because of the upcoming World Cup cricket tournament, they want to rip down some of the buildings on the wing, the small stand, the Cricket Club etc and extend the Southern Stand right round to the Members at the other end.
That'll give it a 20k capacity, it's currently at a reduced capacity of about 15,500 I think, the record is 16,719 for cricket and 10,073 for football.

Of course you'd get another sponsor.

But I do suspect you under estimate the AFL's megalomania.

Hawks could get one for very close to Tas govt cash.

They hate you being as successful in Tassie as you have.

Hawthorn is only there because the AFL reneged on the 11 home game deal at the MCG

Many people dont realise that Hawthorn was always extremely popular in Tasmania due to the number of players from there. Ditto Richmond.

And as they demonstrated after Waverley when they screwed you on the games at the G thing, they are more than willing to screw you.

They screw every club not called Collingwood.

I dont think it has escaped anyones attention that the AFL is managing to get two stadium upgrades in Tas paid for by others in preparation for a Tas team and Hawthorn's expulsion.

I would be amazed if there wasnt a clause in the Tas govt deal with Hawthorn that allowed them to back out in the even of a Tas team being allowed in. They have always said that is their preferred option.

If the AFL is happy for 8 games to be played in Tasmania then why not 11?

Stuff all difference.

I like the roo's. But for the life of me, can someone explain why they are doing this after failed attempts at having games in Canberra, Sydney, then turned down the chance to stay alive in the comp with a move to the Gold Coast?

Yeah, good for them sticking it to the man by choosing to stay and die a slow death in Melbourne, to only then, 2 years later, start selling games to Tasmania.

I like the roo's. But for the life of me, can someone explain why they are doing this after failed attempts at having games in Canberra, Sydney, then turned down the chance to stay alive in the comp with a move to the Gold Coast?

Yeah, good for them sticking it to the man by choosing to stay and die a slow death in Melbourne, to only then, 2 years later, start selling games to Tasmania.

It's kinda like them asking the AFL to always give them the gate against Collingwood and in return to Collingwood the Kangaroos would wear their clash strip for the game...

Then crack the sh**s at the AFL... for the deal they asked for... make a big deal out of the AFL making them do something... THEY ASKED FOR!

They don't know what they want down there... they want attention - Brayshaw's Brigade!!!

You're a franchise supporter.

You wouldn't understand.

BTW, I hope you enjoy your "product" on Saturday might.:thumbsu:

WTF? Didn't North change the name of their club to "The Kangaroo's" and then back to "North Melbourne"?

And you're having a crack at another club... for their "product" :D

Arocca is sounding more and more like a dodgy politician, yet the sycophants (not tarring all North supporters with that brush, by the way) still lap up every word he says. What a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back