Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Good effort.

I think the most logical conclusion is that Hobart will choose North because we are a far, far better footy team, and a million times more likely to have success in the near future.

Why would they give a stuff about who had a bigger following in Melbourne? Ridiculous logic.
You forfeit all credibility with your one-eyed posting. Richmond has a bigger following in Hobart too. Grab a map, chuck a dart at it and Richmond will have a bigger following there than North.

Astro got it right. The AFL is giving North these games because it saves them handout money when North makes a loss on Etihad games. However, they're denying Richmond the chance to make $1.5mil a year down there, so will have to compensate us in some way. They'd better anyway.

So much for "We're never going to sell games interstate again!!!!"

When they rejected the Gold Coast move, I thought Brayshaw and Co sold it to members as a last ditch effort for them to keep their identity of North Melbourne by staying in Melbourne.

I guess as long as the members are OK with it, it doesn't really matter how often they change their principles. Good luck to them.

I believe hawks vs richmond has te biggest attendence for down here. Richmond supporters do outnumber kangas however a lot of neutral supporters would head along whichever team is playing

ugh...for, I think the 3rd time in this thread, Brayshaw told us back in 2007 when we had that meeting, that we may have to sell a few games interstate in the future. He wasn't ruling it out.

So, get your facts straight next time. :thumbsu:

Those of us who were at Dallas Brooks Hall in Nov 07, when Brayshaw presented the Gemba report, will recall Brayshaw stating that the club would not be relocating interstate ; but it may be possible in the short term that we might need to sell some home games interstate. The Gemba report also indicated several factors that needed to be addressed successfuly if the club were to succeed in Melbourne (including membership, attendances and stadium deals).

Let's see the detail of this Hobart deal before passing judgement ; but it's hardly reasonable to criticise the club for breaking a promise that it never actually made.

Balls and bumpers in Hobart has an entire corner of the room dedicated to North gear, speaking to the owner he told me that North gear makes up a large/the greatest % of his sales. Theres ALOT of North support in Tasmania.

And yes I honestly see more North Supporters in my day to day dealings. Either theres more North supporters or the Tiger supporters just dont like to wear their team colours.

If you can find one Tasmanian on here who doesn't agree that the Tigers have more fans in Tassie than Norf I would be very surprised. The history of good Tasmanian players playing for Richmond has helped this and some proof could be that the Richmond v Hawthorn game holds the attendance record at Aurora Stadium, it also seemed to be a Richmond crowd that day.. I am sure even the Hawks fans here who were at it would agree at worst it was 50/50.

Here's a theory. North negotiates to play, let's say, three games in Hobart for a few years, 2011-2012. Throw in some pre-season games too. After three years they up it to four games a year over a five year contract, 2014-2017 (sound familiar anyone?).

Meantime, sometime before the end of this year Hawthorn negotiates a new 4 game over five year Launceston contract with the Tasmanian Government for similar bucks and concessions as they get now, 2012-2017.

Skip to 2018, North become Tasmania's first official AFL Club, the Hobart Kangaroos. Hawthorn quietly removes itself from Tasmania except for a pre-season and an away game every year against the Kangaroos (in Launceston) who now play 11 on the Apple Isle.

For what its worth no one on the footy show tonight even mentioned the word Tasmania. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing you state really upsets me, I'm more concerned with why this whole notion upsets a Carlton supporter.

There's 220,000 people in Hobart and I am sure that North supporters and opposition supporters in Launceston will make the trip to Hobart. I see similar attendances to what Hawthorn are getting.

Thank you for showing your complete ignorance on the subject ..now move on.

I am not here to educate the ignorantly blind.

Just a question, has this actually been confirmed anywhere?

Nope. Ive said that a couple of times but noone seems to be listening. Until i hear it from the clubs mouth its speculation.

How many locations have North now sold or tried to sell home games too and failed?

Exactly. At least in Tassie there won't be the pressure to be Tassie's team like there was in Sydney Canberra & the Gold Coast

Will North playing in Tassie lead to them adding more stands at Bellerive? Will they try & address the pathetic public transport situation from the outer side of the harbour to the venue as well? Or will people have to come across from Sandy Bay in dinghies? :p

bellerive_oval.jpg

JF

Bad move by the AFL.
The good people of Canberra saw right through North's chirade. Hobartians will do the same.

We had a deal with the AFL and ACT government to play in Canberra and it has been the longest running deal to play games interstate. But, it had heavy NRL resistance to the government putting money towards it and when they asked the AFL to put more money in to keep us there the AFL said no, because they wanted us to play on the gold coast.

The AFL only put more money in after they got their way and we had to move. We were pretty much on the same money from the last year of our deal to our first year and the cost of running a club doubles every 5 years, you need your revenue streams to increase and Canberra was just treading water.

We met all that was asked of us for the Gold Coast deal, there was no condition of us going there to relocate, it became an AFL agenda only after NRL fast-tracked the Titans, AFL had not planed to have a GC team until after 2015. It was the AFL that cancelled our contract to play games there, we had never pulled out of any agreement to play games there and didn't have plans to leave there in the short-term, it was the GC and AFL's choosing to end the relationship because we refused to relocate.

As to Tasmania, our board has been pretty open, we have a few rules and the first one is we wont relocate. We had to commit to long-term stay in Melbourne before we got any government funding for our redevelopment.

It doesn't mean we can't work hard to promote and develop the game in Tasmania, much like the Hawthorn arrangement with Tasmania has been a real boon for Tasmania. We busted our arse in Canberra, were there a long time, they got prime games like Collingwood etc there, they didn't just get chaff games against interstate clubs. We had much stronger support than Melbourne/Bulldogs have had there, given they just play the Swans there. Had the AFL supported ACT and not tried to shaft us we probably would still be playing in Canberra.

We had a deal with the AFL and ACT government to play in Canberra and it has been the longest running deal to play games interstate. But, it had heavy NRL resistance to the government putting money towards it and when they asked the AFL to put more money in to keep us there the AFL said no, because they wanted us to play on the gold coast.

The AFL only put more money in after they got their way and we had to move.
There it is. North needs the AFL (or someone else) to put money in no matter where it plays. That's why the AFL's attitude is 'grow us a new market or you're a liability', because it's literally true.

This is just a little bit bigger than your Bay 13 cred lefty.

FWIW I think SLF has every reason to be miffed as do every other north supporter that lobbied to bring their team back to Victoria to stay in Victoria and you can trot out the 'we were told we may have to sell some games' line but it doesn't change the fact that the finishing line has changed again.

Apparently its going to be split 2 and 2. Each club making 1.5 mil from the venture.

And this is why it won't work - clubs see the success that has come from the hawks venture but fail to see the HUGE amount of work that goes on all year long - will clubs do that for two games a year - I don't think so and then will wonder why they have been unable to capitalise on it.

Some hilarious comments by the Hawthorn contingent.

North will get a few initial fans and then it will wither.

Hawthorn will get huge sustained growth ...............because...............well..............we're Hawthorn.

Hawk fans I don't believe have a problem with the deal but as I previously alluded to there is a great deal of behind the scene stuff that the hawks do all year long that also contributes to the excellent results from the investment that have finally come the hawks way and it certainly hasn't happened in 1-2 seasons and if we operate on norths previous track record when playing away then you can surely understand why people are sceptical.

I'm so sick of ALL these lame arse comments.

Why should ANY club be forced to sell games when the AFL makes nearly 1 billion in TV rights???

Does anyone not realise with no clubs, there is no AFL officialdom to f*ck up OUR game??

As a Roos supporter, I fail to see why my club, who draws crowds other codes drool over, is seen as the poor cousin when it is one of 16 to have contributed to the AFL's coffers??

When does the AFL stop this greedy crap and give back to the clubs supporters of this game rather than taking our money like every other institution in our country.

I for one am sick of the leech that sucks the enjoyment out of Footy.

Rant over. Will travel to Hobart for maybe two games from Launceston, still try to fly over for 1 or 2.

There it is. North needs the AFL (or someone else) to put money in no matter where it plays. That's why the AFL's attitude is 'grow us a new market or you're a liability', because it's literally true.

Who do you think pays for the current ACT games? Melbourne and Bulldogs get from ACT exactly what we asked from them.

AFL dedicates tens of millions for every year for football development in the northern states and has for a very long time. If the AFL kicked in no money towards ACT games they wouldn't have any games played there, not beforehand, not now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back