Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

That didnt have anything to do with the Hawks designating 3/4+ of stadium seating to hawks members did it? Alot of North supporters were turned away from seating/the game, The only seating we were allowed was behind one of the goals, which was packed, everyone else was forced into the Standing room, did not see ONE hawks supporter in standing room.

It happens to every team that goes down there. They get shafted on seating.

Buy tickets early maybe?

Good for North, Good for Tasmania, and Good for Football.

Anyone reckon they might have Hawthorn and North play eachother twice in Tassie? One game in the North, one in the South?

Ironic thing is having North play in the South.

We play the Hawks there annually it seems, but I would hope our games there are scheduled against interstate sides, our game vs Hawks in Melbourne is also typically a Hawthorn allocated home game.

Nothing has been confirmed though, North might have just asked the AFL if they would oppose us playing there like they have pretty much anywhere else we wanted to play games, locally or interstate.

Not sure if it means we have agreed to or even talked to Tassie yet.

If you have a fundamentally sound model that will make money going forward then selling games to repay debt makes good sense. If you are trying to develop a fundamentally sound model that is based in Melbourne and has longevity in Melbourne then selling home games is false economy and particularly so if the same tactic has been tried and failed more than once in the past.

If North want to remain in Melbourne and be more than a bit part player then they have to centre everything around being in Melbourne and make sure everyone from the potential member to the potential sponsor know exactly where they stand.

I don't know what North Melbourne or the Kangaroos who play in Melbourne but have home games in Qld, ACT or Tasmania depending on something or other financial and wear different jumpers all the time stand for so why would I put my companies money onto getting exposure through them? Sure if I have a Tasmanian business I might chuck a couple of bucks at a short term deal because it's cheaper than a Hawthorn deal but what if I've got $1m to spend for the next 5 years? I may as well sponsor Richmond. At least I know their supporters care and they'll be doing something newsworthy.

I don't know what North Melbourne or the Kangaroos who play in Melbourne but have home games in Qld, ACT or Tasmania depending on something or other financial and wear different jumpers all the time stand for so why would I put my companies money onto getting exposure through them? Sure if I have a Tasmanian business I might chuck a couple of bucks at a short term deal because it's cheaper than a Hawthorn deal but what if I've got $1m to spend for the next 5 years? I may as well sponsor Richmond. At least I know their supporters care and they'll be doing something newsworthy.
Ask the CEO of Mazda, champ.

If North want to remain in Melbourne and be more than a bit part player then they have to centre everything around being in Melbourne and make sure everyone from the potential member to the potential sponsor know exactly where they stand.

Mazda are a national sponsor and would be wrapped to get even further exposure.

Same goes for Aspen Property, Blades, Blackwoods, ASG, Roobet, Coca Cola, Penrite, PFD foods etc.

Hawthorn went to an interstate market and flourished in Melbourne.

There is simply no basis to your logic.

Yep, & it is as it should be.

The Tas taxpayer funds the Hawks, who is bankrolling the Hobart proposal?

Money better spent on a REAL Tas team, one of Melbournes serial underperformers relocated.

Or will it turn out just like earlier sleazy attempts to dud footy followers in Canberra, in Sydney & on the Gold Coast.

I'm not sure you are seeing the whole picture...
As I understand it, the Fed Govt, and to a smaller extent the Tas govt, will be funding it via the Tasmanian Cricket Association.
With only 400,000 or so people in Tasmania, a full-time team is not on the cards and the Hawks wouldn't want to be moved out either.

How many times do people have to be corrected about this falsehood?

Go back and read the rest of the thread.
Pretty often.

Bear in mind, any thread regarding North (and not just on Bay 13) will attract the usual swarm of drooling flogs who will get the facts wrong due to ignorance, stupidity, malevolence, or a combination of those factors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where you train is irrelevant.

Its where you play

Canberra - burned them off.
Gold Coast - burned them off.
Hobart - fast running out of options so they better make this work. Not too many options after this - perhaps Geelong or Darwin?

And lets look at North's VFL history
Port Melbourne - burned them off
Now you have to split your list into two seperate VFL sides, one of them 2 hours up the road. Hardly ideal.

North Melbourne Bedouins. They just wander from town to town looking for a place to sleep.

So in summary the thread starter made it all up that Brawshaw was going to announce this.

Good, 13 pages of pure speculation and no official announcement or comment to be found. Welcome to Big Footy...

Here's a theory. North negotiates to play, let's say, three games in Hobart for a few years, 2011-2012. Throw in some pre-season games too. After three years they up it to four games a year over a five year contract, 2014-2017 (sound familiar anyone?).

Meantime, sometime before the end of this year Hawthorn negotiates a new 4 game over five year Launceston contract with the Tasmanian Government for similar bucks and concessions as they get now, 2012-2017.

Skip to 2018, North become Tasmania's first official AFL Club, the Hobart Kangaroos. Hawthorn quietly removes itself from Tasmania except for a pre-season and an away game every year against the Kangaroos (in Launceston) who now play 11 on the Apple Isle.

For what its worth no one on the footy show tonight even mentioned the word Tasmania. :)

This. May happen quicker though.

Seriously though, do Tasmanians feel like they are being taken for a ride by the AFL? Under this senario would the people of Launceston feel a bit like a used fragger? Served their purpose and then discarded? Would the people of Hobart feel the same if the AFL behind closed doors assured them that in a few years time the relocation would be permanent and Tassie had a team to call it's own (even if it was a relocated one)?

North's previous actions have shown what they are all about. Patching up short term issues with no long term approach and no love or affinity for the region they are whoring to. They never get past the whore/client relationship, will the people of Hobart be fooled by this?

Its where you play

Nah, I just made it relevant.

Collingwood is effectively a Richmond club these days and located at the West Punt Road training centre.

Canberra - burned them off.

We left for better money.

Gold Coast - burned them off.

We had every right to burn them when we were getting conned in to a relocation.

Hobart - fast running out of options so they better make this work.

A brilliant marketing strategy.

Better get that alternative strip worked out for when we are out of debt.:thumbsu:

Not too many options after this - perhaps Geelong or Darwin?

Well, Richmond seems a little overcrowded these days.:eek:

And lets look at North's VFL history

Port Melbourne - burned them off

Have you forgotten Williamstown?:eek:

Now you have to split your list into two seperate VFL sides, one of them 2 hours up the road. Hardly ideal.

Outstanding player development with close to the youngest list in the VFL knocking on the door of the top eight and a couple of back to back VFL flags.

Yeah, we're really struggling.:eek:

North Melbourne Bedouins. They just wander from town to town looking for a place to sleep.

Which, ironically, accurately describes most of the Collingwood nuffies I've met.

You fail at the internet Timmy, give it away.

Its where you play

East Melbourne, then?

It's easy to bring up history, but as we now know, previous managers at our club were working traitorously towards relocation. All I know now is the 2-3 years this administration has been running things they have built Arden St as a lasting home and training base for the club, given us our name and pride back (and even made strides towards bringing back our jumper, even at the large financial cost of losing home games against Collingwood).

I'd rather the Board and management gave their plans and Brad's great work with the team more time to bear fruit, but the AFL's draw this year makes it pretty clear they won't get any favours. Doesn't matter how much good work they do on the finances, you get draws like this you cannot get ahead fast.

This group has done enough to earn trust and for people inside the club, if not on BF, to see them as a completely different kettle of fish to previous people running "the Kangaroos". I don't trust the AFL, but I trust the club's board and management to make the best decisions and plans it can for the NMFC to be sustainable with its home at Arden St. And to have learned from what others have done wrong before them.

I don't know what will happen, but if they do the right thing by North's members and supporters, and we respond by sticking with the club and helping it grow, that's all that matters. Nice how many people are concerned, though.

This. May happen quicker though.

Seriously though, do Tasmanians feel like they are being taken for a ride by the AFL? Under this senario would the people of Launceston feel a bit like a used fragger? Served their purpose and then discarded? Would the people of Hobart feel the same if the AFL behind closed doors assured them that in a few years time the relocation would be permanent and Tassie had a team to call it's own (even if it was a relocated one)?

North's previous actions have shown what they are all about. Patching up short term issues with no long term approach and no love or affinity for the region they are whoring to. They never get past the whore/client relationship, will the people of Hobart be fooled by this?

Didn't your basket case of a club just get 5 million bucks for NOTHING in return?

I suppose we are "whores", at least we give something in return.:rolleyes:

Funny how they made no mention of width :confused:

The ground is 18,560 square metres in area, is 174 metres in length (fence to fence) and 134 metres in width (fence and fence).

Bellerive Oval is located at Derwent Street, Bellerive, and is administered by Clarence City Council.

124 m wide playing area would not be the narrowest AFL venue

The ground is 18,560 square metres in area, is 174 metres in length (fence to fence) and 134 metres in width (fence and fence).

Bellerive Oval is located at Derwent Street, Bellerive, and is administered by Clarence City Council.

124 m wide playing area would not be the narrowest AFL venue

I think Skilled Stadium is the narrowest isn't it (am happy to be corrected on this one) at around 117m wide?

Didn't your basket case of a club just get 5 million bucks for NOTHING in return?

I suppose we are "whores", at least we give something in return.:rolleyes:

Yep. But this isn't about Port. If the AFL/SANFL don't want us they should just piss us off. I'm serious, if we are not wanted just tell us to go, we'll go back and play in a lower grade if that is our plight and that is the most appropriate, that's the way the cookie crumbles. But you serial leaches will never get out of your mire, never get out of your victim mentallity, never get out of your whoredom, never get out of it's everyone else's fault. NEVER. It's not working just shut the fcuk up and move so we can all move on.

Yep. But this isn't about Port. If the AFL/SANFL don't want us they should just piss us off. I'm serious, if we are not wanted just tell us to go, we'll go back and play in a lower grade if that is our plight and that is the most appropriate, that's the way the cookie crumbles. But you serial leaches will never get out of your mire, never get out of your victim mentallity, never get out of your whoredom, never get out of it's everyone else's fault. NEVER. It's not working just shut the fcuk up and move so we can all move on.

Then stop behaving like a pack of leeches, hand the 5 million back, and piss off to the SANFL.

You have no credibility until your own club abides by your philosophies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos all set for four games in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back