Scandal Karmichael Hunt admits purchasing cocaine for GCS players - Suns commence investigation into claims

Remove this Banner Ad

i doubt anyone is surprised. Take men in their early twenties, tell them they are the greatest thing in the country, then give them lots of money and downtime.

Hmm a few quotes I read seem to indicate he was using at the Suns. Blamed his cocaine use on the pressures of switching codes. I have no doubt the Suns players used with him after it was revealed a few months back that he would purchase his coke prior to going out to parties or offseason events with Suns players.

Cocaine confession: Karmichael Hunt reveals footy party boy lifestyle

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/co...418144608?sv=ba2554b7c37db78eb1746681915131cf

Before their last game of the season against the West Coast Eagles, Hunt reveals a unit was booked in Burleigh for the Gold Coast Suns AFL players to party for a few days. In the week leading up to the party, Hunt says he gave another former NRL player “a couple of grand” for him to purchase “two eight-balls of cocaine”. Another Suns player paid half the money. “The cocaine was purchased for our personal use during the end-of-season celebrations. There was no financial gain for me at all.”

Celebrations were held at Swell Apartments in Burleigh, about 100m from the beach on the famous party strip. Hunt said he and another player checked into the apartment on Sunday night, August 31. The players then attended a club dinner and party before returning to the apartment at midnight. He names five other players who were with them.

“I was very drunk by the time we got back to the apartment,” Hunt said. “I had used a little bit of cocaine at the party and I was affected by both alcohol and cocaine. I put the cocaine I bought on the dining room table. I was vaguely aware that most people there were using the cocaine during the night. I noticed the next morning all the cocaine had gone.” At 7.26am Hunt made a call to the dealer to get more.

The next morning club members travelled on a bus to the Hinterlands for a lunch at the Bearded Dragon. Most of them hadn’t slept from the party. Because it was a public place, Hunt says he used cocaine that day in the toilet. “I had not slept all night and looking back I remember feeling delusional on the day,” he said.

A week after the Mad Monday celebration, a group of Suns players went on an end-of-season golfing holiday to the Sunshine Coast. The players took 30 cases of beer and some premixed UDL cans of Vodka. And of course Hunt took some cocaine.

“I met with (the dealer) at Domino’s Pizza on the Gold Coast Highway. I was with (a player) and we chipped in about half the money each as the cocaine was for both of us. I was pretty drunk for the first three days and I was using cocaine. We would play golf and drink throughout the day. At night we would drink alcohol and use cocaine. I was vaguely aware that most people there were using the cocaine at nights."

I remember Andrew Demetriou staunchly defending the AFL's recruitment of Karmichael Hunt for more than $1 million dollars a year. This article appeared in the Courier Mail 12 months ago:

Outgoing AFL chief Andrew Demetriou says Gold Coast code-hopper Karmichael Hunt is one of-a-kind

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t-is-one-ofakind/story-fnia415y-1226852959488

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou insists the game's multi-million dollar investment in code-hopper Karmichael Hunt has paid dividends.
Hunt is off-contract at the end of 2014 and is all but certain to return to rugby league, ending his rich four-year tilt in the AFL. The 27-year-old has played 43 senior AFL matches for the Suns since announcing his departure from the NRL in 2009 and spending 2010 playing rugby union in France and Australian Football with the Suns in the AFL.

He has earned in the vicinity of $1 million a year from the AFL with an ambassadorial role comprising a large component of his wage.
Demetriou says the AFL has got bang for their bucks regardless of where Hunt calls home in 2015.

"Look, I hope he stays,'' Demetriou said at the launch of the NAB Rising Star award at Metricon Stadium yesterday.
Karmichael Hunt has been a great ambassador for our game and helped this club put its name on the map. I hope he sticks with the AFL because he is great for the game.

Bang for their buck, eh? I suppose that is one way of putting it.

Nice legacy, Demetriou… :rolleyes:

Last edited:
larrydavid.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. I'm pretty sure every single club's 'Mad Monday' celebration and end-of-season trips would have shitloads of charlie going around.

All this campaigner stuff becoming public knowledge is not a good look for the Suns, or the AFL - but it's hardly a surprise.
Culture well hidden = good culture (?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Karmichael Hunt admits purchasing cocaine for GCS players - Suns commence investigation into claims

Remove this Banner Ad

Back