Keeping Gary-An idea!

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sick and tired of the ABlett-GC 17 drama!! I am just sick to death of Geelong Supporters whinging and moaning about trying to keep Gary Ablett.

Life is about choice, and any human being would consider an attractive remuneration package from a future employer. Is not this human nature?

If he goes, he goes!! The Geelong Football Club will survive without him!! The Bombers survived when Gavin Wanganeen left the Bombers to join Port Power and the Saints survived when Plugger went to Sydney!!

And, does not anyone realise that when the Abletts decide to start up an on-line site to sell some of their GFC stuff, does not this give you a signal that he is leaving Geelong?

IN life, people do things for a reason!!

THE GOVERNOR

I agree. And why would anyone want Ablett at the club if he genuinely didn't want to be there. I certainly wouldn't.

there's nothing wrong with that, depends on the "cause."

Why am I not surprised that this statement was made by a woman?

But it made me laugh R.C.

See now, forgive me if I'm way off here - but is it really about the money? If we win another flag this year, Ablett wins a Norm Smith and/or a Brownlow, wins our club b&f etc. What else does he have left to achieve?

More flags, norm smiths, brownlows and B&Fs is what he has left to achieve, to try and become one of the most decorated players in history. I doubt he'll get that chance at GC. He has more he can achieve at Geelong than Gold Coast in my opinion. Why is the cut of point for achieving everything he can set at 2 or 3 grand finals, 1 or 2 brownlows? I would have thought it would be as many as possible.

More flags, norm smiths, brownlows and B&Fs is what he has left to achieve, to try and become one of the most decorated players in history. I doubt he'll get that chance at GC. He has more he can achieve at Geelong than Gold Coast in my opinion. Why is the cut of point for achieving everything he can set at 2 or 3 grand finals, 1 or 2 brownlows? I would have thought it would be as many as possible.

Point is, no one really understands Gary's psyche. No one knows if he needs to be successful somewhere other than Geelong to fulfil his personal goals. Whether being considered a '1 club player' is important, or if he is really happy at Geelong or not??

For mine I don't buy into the 'money and lifestyle' offered by the GC as pulling Gary one way or the other. That is just my perception of Gary. I think his environment and personal goals are more important to him... in which order he values these 2 is anyone's guess.

Back again on topic of the $$. He's already rich. If he plays till 33-35 at Geelong he'll be very rich anyway, and his opportunity to make money post-football will be 2nd to none.

Back again on topic of the $$. He's already rich. If he plays till 33-35 at Geelong he'll be very rich anyway, and his opportunity to make money post-football will be 2nd to none.

How do you work that out?

The more I think about this the more I think he should go.
It's not like a normal job where it's possible to stay with your current employer, grow the business, and eventually be paid what you would have been paid elsewhere.

If it's really an 750k extra per year for 5 years then you've got to take it.

How do you work that out?

The more I think about this the more I think he should go.
It's not like a normal job where it's possible to stay with your current employer, grow the business, and eventually be paid what you would have been paid elsewhere.

If it's really an 750k extra per year for 5 years then you've got to take it.

I've seen how he lives now. He's obviously already a millionaire, but hardly lives that way. Lives in what is probably a 600k ish priced house, drives a Ford Territory, doesn't dress or live extravagantly. Why would he? He is happy the way he is it seems, and definitely doesn't like attracting attention to himself, which expensive material items would likely achieve.

So to answer your question.

He obviously has the bulk of his wealth already invested. Geelong are interested in paying him 800k a year. It's fair to say that he would easily clear 1mil a season with match payments, endorsements etc, if signing with Geelong. Worst case scenario he earns 1 million dollars at Geelong for another 7-8 seasons... you think he's likely to spend that money?? If investing well / incl. tax, a 10 million dollar fortune not out of the question on retirement. Certainly considering his lifestyle at this stage.

Most people's issue here is they think about their personal income(which is probably bugger all) and think to themselves.. 'what would I do'. Well, the answer is simple... you'd take the money of course. We're not talking about a lifestyle change(from a financial perspective) though in Gary's case... we're talking about degrees of rich.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him leave Geelong, I just don't think that money will be the primary reason if he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping Gary-An idea!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back