Opinion Ken Hinkley Envy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They played his pre final speach on 360 Wednesday night. Mentioned "paying the price". I haven't heard many coaches speeches, it may have come from somewhere else, but it was great. Even Gerard Healey said he would put on the boots and follow Ken.
You know, I saw that speech and I wasn't all that inspired. I couldn't see what the fuss was. He said a lot of things and repeated key words for emphasis. His delivery and demeanor weren't particularly inspiring. The video was made to look dramatic with the key words flashing across the screen......Maybe I'd better shut up!

No doubt Kenny is a class act who , along with Sando, McCartney and Tudor formed a very , very impressive team of Assistants in our years of success.
We had a champion Team on and off the field.
One of the tests for Scott will be the quality of the team around him in the box - as a Manager he must ensure he has the best available talent at his disposal , I'm not convinced we have replaced our Assistants with the same quality as those who left.
Scott was all about 2015+ in his interview , let's see what occurs this off season on and off the field.

Not envious of Hinkley, envious of their team as it's very easy to forget but this current Port Adelaide squad is comprised of many top draft picks. . . Hartlett, Wines, Lobbe, Wingard, Boak, Trengove, Moore, Butcher (bust), Pittard, Wingard and all of them, bar Butcher, are in the starting eighteen.

Credit where it's though as it takes a quality individual to get the best out of that lot which is exactly what Hinkley has done but they were forced to play majority of them from day one as the club was dead-set bottom and could only go upwards, no matter how poor some of those draft selections may have turned out to be.
Luckily for Port's sake, they all look to be gun footballers which has made it a little easier to raise the bar with the rest of their list (regards to pre season training etc).
If the Cats completely bottomed out for a period of 2-3 years, we'd obviously have ourselves a few top 10 picks.

The loss of Ablett for essentially our compo pick + the greatest midfielder of all time in return for Caddy (Smedts looks like a lost cause) hurts. It will continue to do so in the long-term unless the Suns compensation pick turns out to be a complete dud or Smedts begins to live upto that junior footy potential.

Not envious of Hinkley, envious of their team as it's very easy to forget but this current Port Adelaide squad is comprised of many top draft picks. . . Hartlett, Wines, Lobbe, Wingard, Boak, Trengove, Moore, Butcher (bust), Pittard, Wingard and all of them, bar Butcher, are in the starting eighteen.

Credit where it's though as it takes a quality individual to get the best out of that lot which is exactly what Hinkley has done
Good points Bobby. I do love his approach to the game also and if anything I'm envious of the way they play now, it's quite exhilarating. Some of it is due to player capability but Ken has no doubt made his mark on their game style. We've now arrived at similar destinations this year but their journey has been a lot more exciting than ours in the last 2 years anyway. I think taking on a team at the bottom suited Kenny as he could really shape the whole place as Bomber & co. did with us over 10 years ago.

I love footy played at its attacking best & Kenny has them playing that way most of the time, probably more exciting than any other team. We still have our moments :)

Pretty obvious that Ken is a better coach than Scott. And this isn't a hindsight thing, either. It's been know for years, well before he became a senior coach at Port, that Ken had a brilliant coaching mind. It's no secret that he was largely responsible for the implementation of the gameplan that led to the 2007 flag and Geelong's prolonged success.

There's nothing to say that Hinkley couldn't have also led the team to the '11 flag, and there's plenty to suggest that he could've done a much better job during the 2012, 2013, and 2014 finals series.

As confident as I am, I could do with a Kenny pep-talk about now.

"footy cliche... going to WAR. leave NOTHING BEHIND. footy cliche. comes but once in a life time, you have to GRAB IT. grab it and HOLD ON! final footy cliche, footy cliche. repeated twice to show you I MEAN IT"

I would much rather be playing the way Port are right now compared to Geelong.

We play a stupid brand of footy that is never going to win us a flag.

Port play how we used to play and one of the keys to our success imo.

We cannot underrate winning a flag here... pre 2007 we would have done anything for another, and obviously some teams have never gotten one altogether!

No matter which way you look at it, Scott got us a flag. We have no idea what Hinkley would have done in 2011, maybe he would have gone another direction?

I would take a certain flag over an uncertain flag in any situation... even though at present I think Hinkley is the better coach and one I would prefer for the future.

I would much rather be playing the way Port are right now compared to Geelong.

We play a stupid brand of footy that is never going to win us a flag.

Port play how we used to play and one of the keys to our success imo.
That's pretty much sums up how I feel about the issue. I still trust CS knows what he's doing and faith in him to continue being the coach but 2015 hopefully sees the return to that Geelong Triple Premiership style of play that Kenny has successfully brought over to Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has walked into a side thats full of first round draft picks and also he wasn't who Port wanted to start with, Hinkley was pretty much last resort for Port. Leon Cameron and Eade both declined.

Eade didn't decline.
Also Hinkley declined to be interviewed early on.

I'm not sure we 'let him go'. Do you mean gave the job to Chris Scott instead? That decision was vindicated when Scott won the flag.

In any event, I'm not measuring them against each other. I am daydreaming that we might one day get to see Hinkley back though. He seems like a sentimental guy so the pull to return to Geelong one day might be there.
To be fair, there is every chance the Ken also could have won the flag in 2011 with the players he had to work with.

Very dissapointed we let him go

We didn't let him go, he left. It's common knowledge that the gameplan that won us so many games from 2007 onwards was Kens, not Bombers. Ken left because he felt he was never going to get an opportunity at Geelong. He was right. Now he's working his magic at Port, and good luck to him.

Will Ken be our next coach after Scott?

I for one hope so. Thought he should have gotten the job ahead of Scott back in 2011. Has defiantly proven himself at port and I think they can win a flag within the next three years.

Taking CS was the right call and the 2011 premiership vindicates that. Reading the biography on the 2011 premiership side by Scott Gullan spell's it out pretty clearly. The players where enjoying their off-season's abroad, suddenly the news comes through about Bomber and a month later Scotty is appointed coach. The players through this time felt positive either Sando or Hinkley would get the job, given how well they knew these two they felt very comfortable about where they would sit in the team should one of those two get the job. Then the news breaks that CS is the new Geelong coach and suddenly these players, even 200 game veterans, have to prove themselves to a whole new person. CS's appointments provoked everyone to put there heads down, we had players in New York running laps of central park (atleast according to Gullan in the book) because they wanted to impress CS at the start of pre-season. His appointment is in my opinion the reason we went all the way in 2011.

Obviously, since then CS has made some decisions we question regarding team selection and gameplan. I, like a lot here in BigFooty, have wondered if we have put our best foot forward in finals since 2011. But we have to remember CS isn't just here to win us games but to rebuild the team. To do what he has done by blooding so much youth, and keep us inside the top 4, is just a massive effort. We can look at PA all we like and marvel at the resurgence lead by Hinkley but ultimately, if we become a force again in a couple of years because of the steps CS has taken over the last few years to play the kids then it'll be worth it. And there's no reason why that isn't achievable as far as i can see.

Irony is I have a feeling we're going backwards in culture and there'll probably be more overseas trips than ever.. Previous list had a hunger to win and mean something. Not self indulge like every other mtv ****** in this country and live a meaningless lifestyle until it all comes apart at 40.

Pretty obvious that Ken is a better coach than Scott. And this isn't a hindsight thing, either. It's been know for years, well before he became a senior coach at Port, that Ken had a brilliant coaching mind. It's no secret that he was largely responsible for the implementation of the gameplan that led to the 2007 flag and Geelong's prolonged success.

There's nothing to say that Hinkley couldn't have also led the team to the '11 flag, and there's plenty to suggest that he could've done a much better job during the 2012, 2013, and 2014 finals series.

If it was 'no secret' why didn't we appoint him as senior coach Biggy?
We just didn't want the best coach, is that it?:rolleyes:

I guess? I dunno, it blows my mind. Seemed the obvious option at the time, and now with hindsight, it most definitely seems like the obvious option.
Kenny is doing great with a club that has now got a terrific admin and already had a very talented list.
Scott is doing fine with a great admin and a challenging list.
Just happy for Ken.
Happy for us.

Remember during Grand Final week 2011 everyone was asking Scotty how relieved he must feel that he narrowly missed out on the Port job, and instead got the dream Geelong job. The s******ing was immense because Port was such a rabble. Scotty very graciously said he thought Port had a bright future. Then Ken, the "coach no one wanted" got the club "no one wanted".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back