Blueboys7

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pheonix Suns
Obviously we need to address our forward line, where we are one dimensional and too predictable. As we look like getting a later pick in the draft this year we are unlikely to get a real quality forward (hopefully we get lucky). So we may need to turn to the draft table.

I have been thinking about our options and believe that these are the more likely options that will be available:

Cleve Hughes (Richmond)

Height:193cm
Weight:93kg

Hughes is a good size and has shown some promise as a key forward but the word is he has struggled with the mental side of things after Polak's accident. He has played 13 games for an 18 goal return. A change of club might just be what he needs

Matt Maguire (St Kilda)

Height:192cm
Weight:100kg

In 2005 he had established himself as one of the best CHB's in the competition but a cruel run of injuries has ruined his career to date. He has been played as a CHF in the VFL where he has kicked 2 bags of 5 goals.

If he can remain injury free (big if) then he could fill a void at either CHF or CHB.

Ben McKinley (West Coast)

Height:184cm
Weight:82kg

Ben has real talent but has been very disappointing after a very promising season last year. I can see us making a play for him as we were very interested last year. He doesnt have the height of the other two but can be a real handful.

Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn)

Height:194cm
Weight:86kg

Hasn't really been given a go at the Hawks but was a real high draft pick at 6 in the 2006 draft. He has only played 2 games but will not get opportunity because of the twin towers. He may come more cheapley than the others.

Keeping in mind that these players may not be the best fit, I just think this a good topic to be discussed.

Would anyone be interested in trying any of these players out? Or are there any other names that have been thrown around?

Matt Maguire should be seriously looked at. 25 so he will be around for 5 years at least. Seems to have gotten over injury problems and just can't bust into the Saints side.

Definitely worth our 2nd round pick.

FB: Thornton Jamison Browne
HB: Armfield Maguire Bower

With Waite up forward would be fantastic.

Matt Maguire should be seriously looked at. 25 so he will be around for 5 years at least. Seems to have gotten over injury problems and just can't bust into the Saints side.

Definitely worth our 2nd round pick.

FB: Thornton Jamison Browne
HB: Armfield Maguire Bower

With Waite up forward would be fantastic.

If he can play out the rest of the year without injuries he should be looked at. I agree that we would more likely use him down back but his versatility is a bonus especially with Waite being able to go forward or back. This gives as a more flexible line up.

But would a 2nd rounder do it?

If Matt Maguire is over his injures we should have a go.

Whats happening with Adam Hartlett???

We should draft on of Ben Griffiths,Mathew Panos or Steven Mary. :thumbsu: GUNS!!

l tend to think Mckinley,Thorp,Dowler,Mitch Brown, Kennedy,J.Riewoldt would all be looked at depending on their availability, l feel Mcguire would be a risk as he would not address our forward problems, our defence now has some real good young talent, Jamison,Austin,Bower all potential 10 year players.

I wouldn't be going near an injury plagued Magiure unless he came real cheap.

As you say, we were interested in McKinley last year and he has fallen out of favour at West Coast and looks to be a little down the pecking order. If we went after him this year I reckon we could get him. Put him in the goalsquare and he could easily kick 40 goals per year. If we could get him for a 3rd round pick I'd do it without a 2nd thought. 2nd round pick would be more realistic and I'd do that too.

Hughes struggles to dominate Coburg 2nds so I wouldn't go near him unless it was one of those trades where we had to give up a pick in the 90s. Has talent and potential but that's not enough IMO.

Thorp is an unknown. Was a very good junior but hasn't done a thing. I'd enquire about him at the very least but I wouldn't give up too much for him.

I'll throw up another name even though I don't think Geelong would let him go. I'd love to get Hawkins and I'd throw a fair bit at him and them if he is out of contract at the end of the year. If he can't cement a spot in the seniors at Geelong I would think he'd consider a move if it meant he'd be assured of first team football on a permanent basis.

*Waits for someone to mention Kennedy*

EDIT: Looks like I was too slow about Kennedy. Time to let him go, people. No chance of returning.

If he can play out the rest of the year without injuries he should be looked at. I agree that we would more likely use him down back but his versatility is a bonus especially with Waite being able to go forward or back. This gives as a more flexible line up.

But would a 2nd rounder do it?

A 2nd rounder is about his current "worth". Got to remember that

- he has had injury problems
- he is unlikely to get into the saints 22
- he is 25 and full developed
- this is the last so called "virgin" draft for the Saints to pick him up

I reckon around pick 25ish should do it. Maybe even do a swap with the saints for our 3rd rounders as well.

I'll throw up another name even though I don't think Geelong would let him go. I'd love to get Hawkins and I'd throw a fair bit at him and them if he is out of contract at the end of the year. If he can't cement a spot in the seniors at Geelong I would think he'd consider a move if it meant he'd be assured of first team football on a permanent basis.

I would love Hawkins in our line up but i think its really unrealistic, we would have to give an arm and a leg and i still don't think they would do a deal.

He has been harshly judged over his career thus far and i believe he will remain a cat. Big fan though!

Ben McKinley (West Coast)

Height:184cm
Weight:82kg

Ben has real talent but has been very disappointing after a very promising season last year. I can see us making a play for him as we were very interested last year. He doesnt have the height of the other two but can be a real handful.

Would anyone be interested in trying any of these players out? Or are there any other names that have been thrown around?

This guy is the best player from that group, he seems to be out of favour at the moment. His work rate has not been up to scratch, but with Fev in the same forward line, it could work a treat. He would have to really work on his forwardline pressure, that is another one of his downfalls.

Our list has no good young forward talent, Fev will be heading into his twilight years in a year or two, so this year via draft or trading we must start planning for this by getting some young talent in this area.

I though Tiller was meant to be a good forward prospect, and was drafted late as he was bottom aged, but for the most part I agree with your post.

Of the few options that were thrown up in the OP the bloke from WC would be the only one that I would seriously entertain, but I believe they would be putting too high a price on his head given the form he showed he was capable of, during last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he are 20 guys that we could look at

bock adel 194cm 92kg 27yo(in 2010) aa chb that can play forward
sellar adel 196cm 95kg 21yo down the pecking order but is finding form
mckernan adel 196cm 94 kg 19 yo only drafted last year but will be a star
henderson bris 196cm 95 kg 20yo good footy brain
dawes coll 193cm 100kg 21yo strong contested mark
reid coll 195cm 94 kg 20yo not the best kick
mckenna cats195cm 88kg 20yo can play both ends
s.simpson cats 196cm 92kg 20yo enormous work ethic
boyle hawks 194cm 95kg 26yo only had one good season
thorp hawks 194cm 88kg 21yo reads the play well
tarrant north 196cm 90kg 20yo shoulder problems
thurstans port 196cm 95kg 29yo maybe to old
riewoldt tigers 193cm 87kg 21yo works hard
hughes tigers 193cm 94kg 23yo could be delisted rookie pick
maguire saints 190cm 94kg 25yo i would love it
johnton swans 193cm 84kg 19yo this guy has carlton write all over him
brown wc 194cm 95kg 21yo this will be good
hansen wc 198cm 94kg 27yo is good in a good team
kennedy wc 196cm 99kg 22yo had to put him in
mckinley wc 188cm 82kg 23yo dont know how he would go with fev

i still think hartlett is still worth a shot but if we can add 2/3 key forwards to our list in 2010 ill be happy. sam shaw would be a good draft pick.

i still think hartlett is still worth a shot but if we can add 2/3 key forwards to our list in 2010 ill be happy. sam shaw would be a good draft pick.

The thing is clubs are not just going to throw away their up and coming forwards. I tried to remain a little realistic when guys like Riewoldt,Johnston, Brown, Reid, Dawes, Henderson, McKernan and Bock are unlikely to be traded.

Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn)

Height:194cm
Weight:86kg

Hasn't really been given a go at the Hawks but was a real high draft pick at 6 in the 2006 draft. He has only played 2 games but will not get opportunity because of the twin towers. He may come more cheapley than the others.

Injured according to afl.com.au - foot injury and out for season.

Shaw is more of a tall utility/wingman than a lead-up KPF.

cleve hughes might be good for you, clearly has the talent. but something is holding him back, might just need to change club and get away from all his problems. and he would be very cheap. right now i would take a 3rd rounder for him.

but i think richmond will keep him, because he could be anything and once his problems are cleared up could be a star.

cleve hughes might be good for you, clearly has the talent. but something is holding him back, might just need to change club and get away from all his problems. and he would be very cheap. right now i would take a 3rd rounder for him.

but i think richmond will keep him, because he could be anything and once his problems are cleared up could be a star.

What are these problems to which you refer cz?

Hughes - talented but some off field issues.
Mckinley - to small at 184cm for KPF
Thorp - Rock Star syndrome.......already thinks he is a star from all reports and is also as slow as a kart horse.
McGuire - He is a backman not a geniune forward.

We are better off developing and being a little more patient with Setanta and Hartlett. I also think Waite will return next year as a forward and fingers crossed we can trade a player of ours for a 1st round upgrade and Griffen.

Possible F50 next year:

HF: Yarran Hartlett Waite
F: Setanta Fev Betts

Thorp - Rock Star syndrome.......already thinks he is a star from all reports and is also as slow as a kart horse.

We are better off developing and being a little more patient with Setanta and Hartlett. I also think Waite will return next year as a forward and fingers crossed we can trade a player of ours for a 1st round upgrade and Griffen.

Possible F50 next year:

HF: Yarran Hartlett Waite
F: Setanta Fev Betts

Not quite sure how you can put Hartlett's name forward, if the MC do not see fit to play him this year when we are clearly looking for a key forward, why would next year be different, he will probably lucky to stay on the list next year.
Hartlett is now in his fifth season and time is ticking, Setanta gives 100% effort but he has also been in the system for a significant period, very unlikely either of these two will provide a solution.

What are these problems to which you refer cz?

Hughes was with Polak when he was hit by the tram and apparently hasn't recovered mentally from that. Not exactly sure what's up with him but apparently depression is involved.

We shouldn't shy away from chasing McKinley because he is "too small".

McKinley is a very awkward height for defenders to match up on. He plays taller than he is so can't be manned up by a small defender and would beat the bigger defenders on a lead.

Our problem isn't necessarily a tall forward but rather finding multiple avenues to goal in general.

A forward that could kick 40-50 goals per season would help that regardless of his height.

HF: Yarran Kreuzer Waite
F: Betts Fevola McKinley

That could be our forward line next year. Gets me excited just looking at it - plenty of fire power and excitement. Not to mention the likes of Garlett and Walker zooming around in there at times as well.

McKinley would be perfect for us and wouldn't cost as much as he may have 2 years ago or even last year. LeCras has overtaken him and McKinley isn't as entrenched in their best 22 as he used to be.

He's a Victorian boy and wouldn't need much persuading to come home considering where West Coast and Carlton are likely to be on the ladder next year.

Are the options mooted in this thread for real???

Hughes - A-grade Dud. Can't even get a game for Richmond reserves. Currently playing at Richmond's reserves' reserves :eek:

Mckinley - I was against getting him last year and this year he is showing why. Went through a purple patch last year but been badly exposed. If you think Fisher is a liability in the team due to his lack of defensive pressure, wait until you see Mckinley play.

Maguire - No. ****ing. Way. Has lost all mobility after his broken leg. Nathan Brown anyone?? Wouldn't go near him with a ten foot pole. Second rounder for him? :eek: You're havin' a laugh.

Thorp - Potentially the only one I'd look at along with maybe Sellar and only if they came cheap which is unlikely. Otherwise lets go the draft route. If we can pick up a couple of good ones this year it still gives us enough time with Fev to develop and have them playing good footy when he hangs up his boots.

This thread reminds me of when we had serious ruck deficiencies. Any player above 195 cm was mooted on these boards (Mclaren and Ackland = :eek: :eek:). It wasn't until we went the draft route through Jacobs, Hampson and Kreuzer that we were able to fix the issues and we should do something similar here as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Key Postion Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back