KFC Twenty20 International Game 1: Australia v England @ Adelaide (Wed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
t20ausmg9.png

aus.png
V
eng.png

Adelaide Oval, Wednesday 12th January 2011, 19:05 Local

Its time for the fun part of the summer when the coloured clothing comes out, the white ball is unleashed and the balls start flying into the crowd, its Twenty20 time! After last years World Championships it could be argued this will be a match played between the 2 best teams in the world, unfortunately for a success starved Australian public it is yet again England the no1 team from their last meeting. Last year England finally gained a World Title winning the T20 under the brilliant captaincy of Paul Collingwood, this time though he has a new rival as Michael Clarke jumped before being pushed as no Australian captain is allowed to lose a World Cup final and Cameron White the most succesful T20 captain in Australia takes the reigns.

Last time Australia played they fielded a very odd squad, 6 players from the light blues and 6 from the Navy blues and they got thumped after the batting lineup failed to post a decent total, however its the entire bowling attack that has been sacked. Haddin and Clarke have made way for debutant Aaron Finch and new VC Tim Paine however in the batting lineup but its the bowling that has been shaken up. Shaun Tait returns to try and find match fitness before the World Cup, Brett Lee also makes his way back in for a world cup audition whilst Mitchell Johnson replaces Dirk Nannes as the left arm seamer in a shock move with James Pattinson also in line for a debut likely in Melbourne if they get a game. Side also sees the return of O'Keefe having carried the drinks in Perth but spinners are vital in Adelaide.

For England they have a very settled team, one that is approaching a World Record 8 consecutive T20I victories if they win this match. Only selection decision comes down to Ian Bell, never considered for T20 but fired up in the 50 over warmup or Michael Lumb, World T20 winning opener who has struggled badly for QLD. I would expect Lumb to get first shot although would have Wright in more danger from Bell. Bowling lineup is very deep with alot of part time options being the difference, Ashes spearhead James Anderson isnt even considered for the T20 side having sat out the succesful World Cup campaign.

Australia
David Warner
Shane Watson
Aaron Finch (T20I and International debut)
David Hussey
Cameron White (c)
Tim Paine +
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Stephen O'Keefe
Shaun Tait
James Pattinson (T20I and International debut)
In:Aaron Finch
Tim Paine
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Shaun Tait
James Pattinson

Out:Brad Haddin
Michael Clarke (retired)
Dirk Nannes
Peter Siddle
Clint McKay
John Hastings

England
Steve Davies +
Michael Lumb
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Eoin Morgan
Luke Wright
Michael Yardy
Tim Bresnan
Graeme Swann
Ajmal Shahzad
Steven Finn
Chris Tremlett
James Tredwell
Jonathan Trott
Chris Woakes
In: Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Michael Lumb
Ajmal Shahzad
Steven Finn
Chris Tremlett
James Tredwell
Jonathan Trott
Chris Woakes

Out: Craig Kieswetter
Ravi Bopara
Stuart Broad
Ryan Sidebottom

Session Times local
Session 1 – 7:05pm – 8:25pm

Session 2 – 8:45pm – 10:05pm

Coverage
ninek.png
from 7:35pm AEDT
Cricinfo

Weather
Fine and warm reaching 30 during the day

Tickets
Still available for Adelaides T20I debut which are both a bit of a suprise
Adult- Range from GA $39 - Platinum $92
Concession- $31 - $92
Child- $19 - $62
Family- $97 GA - $134 Silver

Gates open 1:45pm

Curtain raiser
Australian Women v English Women
Session 1 – 2:05pm – 3:25pm

Session 2 – 3:45pm – 5:05pm

Sorry about the delay, but hey I remembered the poll for a change!

Should be a good game, I really like our batting lineup(thanks Clarke) even though I think Haddin should be in unless you are using Paine as an opener but our bowling lineup looks very dodgey.. wish we would pick the best side and not use the T20 as a step up to the other forms for youngsters. O'Keefe is a good talent but why is he picked ahead of Doherty, only his batting surely? X should of been in this team and O'Keefe should of been in the Test before X. Also(Tassie bias I know) after watching Hilfy against Victoria I did a quick check of his T20 stats and really why is he not in this game? Averages 17 and a shade over 6.. better than pretty much every quick we have thrown in lately. He may not be a big wicket taker lately but he does keep it tight.

Women's game unlikely to be shown at all.

Men's game not likely to be on Channel 9 due to QLD flood crisis will almost certain be moved to GEM or GO channel.

I'd expect England to win this one.

Jonhson is not a 20/20 bowler, at least not in the class of Nannes, or especially Hilfy, and Pattinson isn't ready for international cricket yet.

O'Keefe and Smith are also promising, but have showed they struggle at this level also.

Expect the Poms to embarrass in game 1, they are world champions in this form of the game after all, although they did beat us in the final, didn't they?

Game 2 might be closer then most expect, but the Poms should win both IMO.

Expect the Poms to embarrass in game 1, they are world champions in this form of the game after all, although they did beat us in the final, didn't they?

Yep, they beat us.

With the weather that's predicted for friday in Melbourne, game 2 might struggle to go ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

elevated in the city here, it's been dark outside and was gently spitting this morning (real gentle, like being sprayed with spray and wipe from 5 metres away) for a while but nothing even close to hard, or damaging rain. and the sky is still dark, but looks to have cleared slightly.
I doubt we'll have any problems getting through 40 overs tonight.

wish we would pick the best side and not use the T20 as a step up to the other forms for youngsters.
Agree. It's not just "youngsters" though. They're obviously picking Brett Lee ahead of Nannes as preparation for the World Cup. Surely 7 one dayers is enough for that?
Nannes has been widely regarded as the "best bowler in the world in T20" cricket and has an international T20 bowling average of 16.39, and has been the one in the Australian team for the past 12 months or so, yet they bring Lee in, who averages 26.70 (both from 17 matches). More than 60% higher than Dirk's average! (With almost identical economy rates). Nannes's overall T20 average (at all levels) is also significantly better than Lee's. Yet he was discarded like used toilet paper, without even a mention. Very poor form.

Looking forward to seeing Meg Lanning play in this 20/20. I played against her once a few years ago in the APS, and she was fantastic for a girl but only about as good as everyone else playing, who were all boys. Then the next thing I know she's playing for Australia and making tons. Must have improved a bit since then, still only 18.

I'd expect England to win this one.

Jonhson is not a 20/20 bowler, at least not in the class of Nannes, or especially Hilfy, and Pattinson isn't ready for international cricket yet.

O'Keefe and Smith are also promising, but have showed they struggle at this level also.

O'Keefe has struggled at international level? Smith you could argue has started a bit underwhelmingly (though he has hardly been terrible), but O'Keefe has only played one international game, it was a T20I, and he took 3/29. He has also performed exceedingly well in his Australia A games, which aren't this level obviously but are a step up from FC/List A/T20D level.

Anyway, looking forward to this game. I am hoping Mike Hussey is merely resting, because he is absolutely in our best T20 side.

Also, Nannes out for anybody (Lee, Pattinson, Tait, whoever) is ridiculous.

Also, Nannes out for anybody (Lee, Pattinson, Tait, whoever) is ridiculous.

not quite. tait and nannes should be locks. both average 16. taity with the marginally better economy rate (6.5 v 7.5), nannes with the marginally better strike rate (13 v 14). they're t20 guns without par in oz and they dominate together

lee and pattinson are defo not in the same league though

is there something wrong with nannes or what?

not quite. tait and nannes should be locks. both average 16. taity with the marginally better economy rate (6.5 v 7.5), nannes with the marginally better strike rate (13 v 14). they're t20 guns without par in oz and they dominate together

lee and pattinson are defo not in the same league though

is there something wrong with nannes or what?

Marginally better? 6.5 is significantly better than 7.5!

Remove this Banner Ad

KFC Twenty20 International Game 1: Australia v England @ Adelaide (Wed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back