Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the line?

Scarlett is 192cm, while McPharlin, Jamison, Frawley and Tarrant are all 193cm. When you're over 190cm, it's about how you play as opposed to your exact height. And Talia plays as a KPD.

Scarlett is 192 but the Cats also have Taylor 193 and Lonergan 197.

As I said above, I'm not sure where Talia would fit in at the Saints.
He would probably need to wait until the retirement of the likes of Fisher and Blake, and batlle for a game against Simpkin.
Wheras a taller player would have the opportunity to be backup ( or to replace ) for Zac Dawson.

IF KPD's get too much taller than 195, they lose their mobility (unless they're athletic freaks like Fletcher). Need a player who is athletic and uses their jump or length to spoil (usually your CHB type that will take a Cloke) or a bulky cagey strong defender that will take the FF.

Michael talia will end up a KPP if he makes it.

Talia measured 192cm and 88kg at the combine

Cheers Raymann. Good find.
Out of interest do you have his D.O.B? Have 2/11 and 11/2, no idea which is correct.

For those talking about whether 192 is fine. I'm with Chris25, Wall-e and others. 192cm is fine for a KPD. Will develop into a physically strong defender and should be able to handle most key forwards. More than enough around that 192cm, 193cm mark right now who have been successful for a number of years now. Could have another cm or two in him anyway, so don't have an issue with Talia's height.

I'd like a 195cm key defender most days of the week, size is VERY important but 192cm+ for KPDs, 194cm+ for KPFs is usually around what I'd be looking at generally if I was to put a number on it. There can always be exceptions to the rule, but this is to give a general idea of the size you are generally looking at.

Hi Knightmare
Fantastic work by the way !
Could you please rate;
Best Inside Midfielder
Best Outside Midfielder
Best KPF
Best Small Forward
Best KPD
Best Small Defender
Best Ruck
Best All-rounder/Jack of All Trades

Best mid (in general):
Chad Wingard
Stephen Coniglio
Dom Tyson
Elliot Kavanagh
Tom Mitchell (Syd F/S)

Inside/outside mids:
Chad Wingard
Stephen Coniglio
Sebastian Ross
Daniel Markworth
Brad McKenzie

Best outside mids:
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Hayden Crozier
Liam Sumner (better than Crozier now, but my preference is Crozier)
Murray Newman
Nic Haynes

Best inside mids:
Dom Tyson
Elliot Kavanagh
Tom Mitchell (Syd F/S)
Taylor Adams
Josh Waldhuter

KPF:
Zyrus Manson (This will ruffle some feathers but on talent rate ahead of Patton, forgetting go home factor and personality)
Jonathan Patton
Jackson Paine
Fraser McInnes
Todd Elton

KPD:
Adam Tomlinson
Michael Talia
Sam Frost
Andrew Boseley
Michael Bussey

Rucks:
Jarrod Witts (Coll NSW/ACT - will ruffle some feathers again but would take because of size and because I can see the style he plays translating well at the next level because he is that physical presence who can go forward and have an impact)
Billy Longer
Myles Bolger
Tom Downie
Mitch Brewer

Defs (small + medium):
Matthew Buntine
Brendan Ellis
Sam Docherty
Alex Forster
Brody Mihocek

Fwd (small + medium):
Haiden Schloithe (One many will strongly disagree with. But have gone away liking his game ever time i've seen him. Think he will develop into a high level small forward)
Devon Smith
Brett O'Hanlon
Cameron Valentine
Matthew Jacquier

Talia at #% knight??? I would doubt that the lions owuld pass on him with there 3rd selection. And you have Bosley selected before him???

On the lions first selections I feel yo have the buntine pick spot on if he is available on draft day at #8...The lions will fit him in ASAP to our backline and will make a huge impact within our structures

Talia at #% knight??? I would doubt that the lions owuld pass on him with there 3rd selection. And you have Bosley selected before him???

On the lions first selections I feel yo have the buntine pick spot on if he is available on draft day at #8...The lions will fit him in ASAP to our backline and will make a huge impact within our structures

Talia is an interesting one. I think he might slide into the 2nd round somewhere with some players really shaping up to be top 30 selections. Skills improving but still not great. Speed average and will struggle v those faster key forwards. On the short side but still KPP size.

Not a whole lot in it between KPPs as my power rankings show. Could go in any order on draft day. Probably not as clear as others think.

Murray Newman is quality. The best KPPs typically come in the 1st round anyway, if not confident in the KPPs at 30 (which I suggest is the case since Brisbane traded out of many of those 2nd round selections) then best available is probably the best shot. Think Newman could be a fairly natural fit on a forward flank and in that midfield rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do u see some of the mature prospects going Knightmare?
The ones im keen on for us would be: Tom Sundberg, Mat Suckling, Brayden O'Hara, Daniel Garside, Tom Lee and maybe Kory Beard?

How has Alroy Gilligan gone this year in your opinion?

Not a bad list of mature agers.

Being mature agers you should be able to get mostly on the cheap if keen. Only really those who receive massive hype going into the draft - Isaac Smith, Lewis Jetta among other recent ones who have gone highish.

Sundberg had a fantastic season until injury late. Really handy utility who could fit into a bottom 8 side immediately either through the midfield, down back or up forward and have an impact. Deserves the opportunity at the next level. Could go late/rookie.

Suckling has shown fantastic improvement in the SANFL as an inside mid. One of those real Sydney style players. Real hard ball winner who could be a rookie option.

O'Hara I really like. Has a nice long kick on him. Uses it well. Real Hurn/Dew type with that weapon. Because he has been thereabouts for a couple of years probably more of a rookie prospect, but worth a shot.

Garside isn't one i've seen much of. Is a shutdown type medium defender who can also attack. Has nice pace and kicking also not bad. Don't have an accurate gauge on whether clubs are looking at him but again wouldn't be an early selection if he does receive the opportunity.

Lee has made big progress since his days as an Adelaide rookie. Could be another case of them letting go of a project player a little too early. Body has really filled out now and is ready to play. Has good versatility and can play as a key forward or defender depending on what the team needs. Wouldn't be surprised to see him receive an opportunity.

Beard is a solid key defender. I think he missed that middle portion of the season. But is a not a bad one because he reads it well down back and knows when to mark/spoil. Probably more of a rookie option.

Gilligan has had a good season. Is that speedy forward who can push up into the midfield. Probably more of a rookie option if a club is interested.

Hey Knightmare, who do you see as the best pure forward pocket? Really hoping West Coast pick 1 up.

I'd go with Haiden Schloithe. Maybe not as quick as you'd like. But knows where the goals are, looks lively every time he has it and gives that tackling pressure inside 50.
Has areas he needs to develop such as his opposite boot.
But is one I can recommend to any team looking for that small forward.

Thanks heaps mate. Appreciate the info. We have cleaned out our rookie list (not including Miller) and are adding our Irish kid. So we have 6 rookie picks that someone else has mentioned that we will load up on mature-agers. If we could get a few of those we should be relatively happy. Sundberg is probably my favourite along with O'Hara. Think Sundberg could be a very good footballer if given the chance.

How do you rate the top 20 of this draft up against 2009 and 2010? If possible, generally rather than worrying about the poor depth in key position players

How do you rate the top 20 of this draft up against 2009 and 2010? If possible, generally rather than worrying about the poor depth in key position players

Top 20 is pretty similar in strength to 09+10. Solid without being great.

Not nearly as strong as 06 or 08.

Not nearly as poor as 02 or 03.

Thanks heaps mate. Appreciate the info. We have cleaned out our rookie list (not including Miller) and are adding our Irish kid. So we have 6 rookie picks that someone else has mentioned that we will load up on mature-agers. If we could get a few of those we should be relatively happy. Sundberg is probably my favourite along with O'Hara. Think Sundberg could be a very good footballer if given the chance.

Some other rookie options worth looking at.

For Richmond recommend Ben Brown. Suspect in club land isn't rated as highly as in bigfooty, but can recommend. Slipped through last year and has a fair way to go, but as a key forward/no.2 ruck is worth going after. Is a unique talent who with a few years could develop into quality.

Lee Spurr, Sam Dwyer and Nathan Blee are my other favourites as immediate fits.

Another rookie option for Richmond, Mitch Brewer. Is that year older and is a big bodied ruck prospect. Well worth looking at as that something different.

Great Work Knightmare :thumbsu:

I just have one question.

You have Ellis, Docherty and McKenzie all available for North at Pick 18, and have us picking Ellis.

I do believe we will draft 1 of those 3.

But why do you have us taking Ellis over Docherty and McKenzie??

And out of these 3 who is the better player suited to North's needs ranking them 1, 2 and 3??

Great Work Knightmare :thumbsu:

I just have one question.

You have Ellis, Docherty and McKenzie all available for North at Pick 18, and have us picking Ellis.

I do believe we will draft 1 of those 3.

But why do you have us taking Ellis over Docherty and McKenzie??

And out of these 3 who is the better player suited to North's needs ranking them 1, 2 and 3??

All are worth consideration.

I'd choose out of Ellis or Docherty. But Ellis would be my choice. Production this year has been absolutely incredible and had a big finals series. Will be an immediate fit and could see him playing early whereas the others will take a little longer.

Liam Sumner has been mentioned as a possible target for port adeliade
do you think he is worthy of pick 6 and would be the best available option?
If it is between sumner and say a hoskin-elliot, who would be the better talent?

Liam Sumner has been mentioned as a possible target for port adeliade
do you think he is worthy of pick 6 and would be the best available option?
If it is between sumner and say a hoskin-elliot, who would be the better talent?

Wouldn't shock me. Sumner is a high level talent.
Of the two I rate Hoskin-Elliot the better talent. Possibly a more rounded athlete - endurance elite to go with that incredible pace. While Sumner's skill set is neat Hoskin-Elliot has that little bit more penetration on his kick and also can win a bit more of his own ball which is why he appeals slightly more which Sumner just hasn't really demonstrated yet.

Massive effort to go through this mate but I do have 3 players I'd like to highlight -

The first 2 are Tom Sundberg and Ben Darrou. Do you see either of them being picked up at all this year? I have seen alot of both and I would love it if the Saints could get this pair late or in the rookie draft.

The third player I want to highlight is Michael Talia. You have him going to the Saints @ 35 which I think is a massive slide. Fremantle, Richmond, West Coast, Adelaide and the Bulldogs all have picks before us and would almost certainly jump at him. Not to mention that he wouldn't look out of place going to GWS with one of their top 14 picks.

Do you really think he will slide so far??

Massive effort to go through this mate but I do have 3 players I'd like to highlight -

The first 2 are Tom Sundberg and Ben Darrou. Do you see either of them being picked up at all this year? I have seen alot of both and I would love it if the Saints could get this pair late or in the rookie draft.

The third player I want to highlight is Michael Talia. You have him going to the Saints @ 35 which I think is a massive slide. Fremantle, Richmond, West Coast, Adelaide and the Bulldogs all have picks before us and would almost certainly jump at him. Not to mention that he wouldn't look out of place going to GWS with one of their top 14 picks.

I'm wondering if any delisted players will get a look in at the draft proper.
Setanta O Hailpin , ( despite personality issues ) could be useful for a team like the Saints , lacking in tall forward , ruck and backline depth now.
There probably arent many "new" players who are a sure thing for playing these roles.

Sundberg I can recommend. Have very much liked his form at VFL level for Collingwood. Late season suffered with injury which might have dropped him down the rankings some. Can be an immediate fit for a bottom 8/10 type team anywhere from midfield, back flank through to a forward flank.

Darrou is a solid prospect. Like his game. Just due to type probably isn't a type clubs will necessary use a high draft pick on. More of a late/rookie because he is that little bit short for a KPD, and has that bigger body. Also there are questions of what role he plays at the next level. But worth looking at. No doubt about it.

Talia is one who might be looked at 1st round. Certainly one of the better key defenders if not the better of the options. There still is the possibility GWS swipe him early but could slide to 30, 35 would certainly be the low end of his potential range. So one to look out for.

I'm wondering if any delisted players will get a look in at the draft proper.
Setanta O Hailpin , ( despite personality issues ) could be useful for a team like the Saints , lacking in tall forward , ruck and backline depth now.
There probably arent many "new" players who are a sure thing for playing these roles.

The ones I really like:

Ben Ross (North Melbourne) is one I really like as an outside mid. Like his skill set allot, weights his kicks perfectly and has some pace. Has had injuries in previous years and very unlucky to get cut based on performances i've seen this year.

Daniel Currie as a ruck prospect is one I really like. Has had those few years in the system and might be a bit of a Trent West in that he is a solid ruckman who can add some versatility around the ground and go forward and take a mark.

Jye Bolton if Collingwood have let him go as recent rumours suggest is one I'd be willing to take late 2nd-3rd round, but probably will be available in the rookie draft since he is still fairly untested. Performances this year have been fantastic and is a goer. Real worker and wants to make it at the next level. Endurance very good, big accumulator and a natural fit into a midfield. Really disappointed because I personally would have upgraded from rookie list.

Would also recommend Brent Macaffer. Suffered this year with injury which meant he couldn't produce as he did in 2010. Should rebound with a strong preseason. Some uncertainty as to whether he re-signs with Collingwood, but if he decides to move on, could be a very solid option as a forward with a late/PSD selection.

terrific read.

brave call on Elton. Whilst he probably deserves that spot he is one of the very few class talls and the shortage of them suggests to me may go higher.

Have now seen the Brewer footage and is a bit to work with but as you say pretty raw. Just getting onto a list would be a terrific result bc the AFL environment will do him the world of good I woudl think. Has a lot of the tools though.

Ps YOu dont appear to be a fan of the state league players as couldnt see many (from memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back