Kosi Pickett Gets 3 Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, Pickett’s bump on Moore should be graded careless, severe and high. This brings the tribunal into play. The same tribunal that hung Houston for an action that was against a player with ball in hand and that was not high contact. Pickett attacked a possessionless Moore and got him in the head. The penalty on this basis, when factored in with Pickett’s recent suspension history, would in normal world situation see him cop a 7-8 game suspension. Please feel free to bookmark this post.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, Pickett’s bump on Moore should be graded careless, severe and high. This brings the tribunal into play. The same tribunal that hung Houston for an action that was against a player with ball in hand and that was not high contact. Pickett attacked a possessionless Moore and got him in the head. The penalty on this basis, when factored in with Pickett’s recent suspension history, would in normal world situation see him cop a 7-8 week suspension. Please feel free to bookmark this post.
Reckon you're correct in thinking he won't play the next seven or eight weeks...

It will be interesting to see how it gets argued. Melbourne will argue that Pickett didnt know Moore was about to lower himself and it would have been a legal bump without that.

The other side will argue that it was ****ing obvious Moore was about to bend down to pickup the ball and Pickett should be smart enough to know that and bumping wasnt the best course of action.

Picketts a gutless sniper with a load of form, and has got away with heaps.

This case looked to be a footy act, Moore slid low just as the hit came, free kick move on.

I guess the elbow looked a bit prominent but AFAIC this was completely consistent with a hip and shoulder and his intent was to knock over an opponent to get to the ball. Beau McReery does it 5-6times a game, it's part of footy.

Because there was concussion he will probably get weeks: the recent overly harsh Houston sentence and the Maynard Rule mean he might get more than a couple.

I won't shed a tear for him but I doubt he'll get justice here.

It will be interesting to see how it gets argued. Melbourne will argue that Pickett didnt know Moore was about to lower himself and it would have been a legal bump without that.

The other side will argue that it was ****ing obvious Moore was about to bend down to pickup the ball and Pickett should be smart enough to know that and bumping wasnt the best course of action.

The AFL keep saying if you choose to bump you are responsible for the consequences.

Not sure how he gets less than Houston.

The AFL keep saying if you choose to bump you are responsible for the consequences.

Not sure how he gets less than Houston.

You'd think so, but all of the mitigating arguments that the tribunal dismissed for Houston, they'll accept for Pickett and he'll end up with the low end of the range, for careless/severe/high, so 3 weeks.

Picketts a gutless sniper with a load of form, and has got away with heaps.

This case looked to be a footy act, Moore slid low just as the hit came, free kick move on.

I guess the elbow looked a bit prominent but AFAIC this was completely consistent with a hip and shoulder and his intent was to knock over an opponent to get to the ball. Beau McReery does it 5-6times a game, it's part of footy.

Because there was concussion he will probably get weeks: the recent overly harsh Houston sentence and the Maynard Rule mean he might get more than a couple.

I won't shed a tear for him but I doubt he'll get justice here.
Rather than Houston I rate this as a bit like the Peter Wright one bought in after the Maynard rule. Here is where the rule isn't clear.
In both cases Wright and Pickett are legitimately going for the ball (a mark v ground ball). At the last split second a player arrives just before and they turn to protect themselves. (Don't think picket bumped he turned and Moores lowered himself and his head got in the way).
What's the player supposed to do if not turn? Leave themselves open. I guess under the new rule picket cops a couple but the AFL need to explain the alternative? Pull out the contest? Leave themselves open?

Rather than Houston I rate this as a bit like the Peter Wright one bought in after the Maynard rule. Here is where the rule isn't clear.
In both cases Wright and Pickett are legitimately going for the ball (a mark v ground ball). At the last split second a player arrives just before and they turn to protect themselves. (Don't think picket bumped he turned and Moores lowered himself and his head got in the way).
What's the player supposed to do if not turn? Leave themselves open. I guess under the new rule picket cops a couple but the AFL need to explain the alternative? Pull out the contest? Leave themselves open?

Yep, not allowed to brace for contact as you have a duty of care to the other players safety. Bracing causes concussions.

Much like ducking into a contest to get high contact, players choose not to brace for contact these days to avoid getting suspended.

AFL is a joke of an organisation, don't let my kids play the sport anymore.

I agree Pickett couldn't pull out, but Moore didn't "appear", it was a hip and shoulder by the little bloke on a defender who was getting to the ball first. 100% part if footy and just unlucky.

I am not familiar with the Wright one, but you're right the Maynard case isn't the same., ans neither is Houston (which was rough play so prolly reportable, but heavily punished) .

I as just observing the general fuss around Houston and concussion meanPickett t won't get a fair shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Pickett couldn't pull out, but Moore didn't "appear", it was a hip and shoulder by the little bloke on a defender who was getting to the ball first. 100% part if footy and just unlucky.

I am not familiar with the Wright one, but you're right the Maynard case isn't the same., ans neither is Houston (which was rough play so prolly reportable, but heavily punished) .

I as just observing the general fuss around Houston and concussion meanPickett t won't get a fair shake.
Houston was a bit unlucky. He did bump (didnt line him up thou) he was contesting and turned to bump an incoming player at last second and got him fair and square down the middle. Unfortunately he did collect him high (neck and grazed his chin) and rules are clear cut. Bump high = suspension.
Reckon like degoey one it's 3 maybe 4
5 too harsh. Potentially misses a gf as well

Chance of a good bloke discount re: charlie cameron? Not sure if pickett has done any work with the right charities for that.

Seriously though. Chose to bump, concussed a player. Will go for a bit

Agreed, and this is where we went wrong on Houstons defence.
We should have argued that Dan didnt realise Rankine would return to ground when he did and expected to tunnel him instead, which is apparently legal considering what they did to Jones.

Luckily for Pickett the 'other side' wont argue anything due to the media boys club giving it the all clear.

Should be 3 weeks.

The fact that Moore went low should be irrelevant based on their messaging all year. You decide to bump, you take responsibility for the outcome.

Once he made the decision to go in with the bump, it’s his duty of care to ensure the opposition isn’t injured.

Pickett at no point looked to be going the ball and braced for the bump early.

Obviously it’s not as forceful as Houston but still has to be graded as high impact and severe due to the concussion which = 3 weeks.

Heck look at SPP at the start of the year. Another player tackled and spun the opposition into him as he bumped. However he had committed to bump already and got the 4 weeks. No extenuating circumstances were applied there and neither should they be here.

Moore didn't bend down though, he slid in with his knees, which is also illegal. If Moore put his head over the ball then Pickett probably would have gotten his shoulder or ribs instead.

I think if it ends up at the tribunal Melbourne will probably be successful in getting the minimum sentence (3 weeks, assuming careless high high/severe) if they can say yes he chose to bump and when he made that choice it was a reasonable choice at the time. It's unlucky that it ended up high but this won't be a 5 - 6 - 7 week suspension.

I don't think it was that bad to be honest.

Pickett was definitely not aiming for anything other than Moore's shoulder, was looking to toe the ball and seemed shocked that he didn't hit Moore's shoulder and went through his head.

Will get likely get suspended on the 'bump/concussion' rule, but a bit unlucky.

I certainly won't squeal like a stuck pig for a year over this issue, nor boo Pickett incessantly next season, because I'm not a complete campaigner...

I don't think it was that bad to be honest.

Pickett was definitely not aiming for anything other than Moore's shoulder, was looking to toe the ball and seemed shocked that he didn't hit Moore's shoulder and went through his head.

Will get likely get suspended on the 'bump/concussion' rule, but a bit unlucky.

Reasonable assessment, but then

I certainly won't squeal like a stuck pig for a year over this issue, nor boo Pickett incessantly next season, because I'm not a complete campaigner...
As always, the first person bringing up Maynard is a pies fan carrying the victim complex 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Kosi Pickett Gets 3 Weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back