Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a prisoner within the program... and as you can see Roota has deleted his post due to the inaccuracy of his comment.
And the person in question, although in there for a serious offence, was regarded as a model prisoner and in the last 6mths of his sentence

Deleted my post coz it was a bit over the top but my point stands in that the family of the victim were distraught at seeing him out and playing footy.

Thought the issue with the former prisoner playing at Rushy making the chl 7 news may have also put a line through it...

There were significant changes to the eligibility of players on the program after that news story. It certainly didn’t stop it.

Many of the men that played or assisted at our club through this program check in with a visit to a game each year. It is something that we are proud of being involved in and making a difference in our society.

There were significant changes to the eligibility of players on the program after that news story. It certainly didn’t stop it.

Many of the men that played or assisted at our club through this program check in with a visit to a game each year. It is something that we are proud of being involved in and making a difference in our society.
Did many play seniors?

Rushy would lose their star midfielder if they play only twos?

You'd think that getting a thirds side, full reserves and netball is still good for the league, maybe play the thirds at 2pm.

Did many play seniors?

Rushy would lose their star midfielder if they play only twos?

You'd think that getting a thirds side, full reserves and netball is still good for the league, maybe play the thirds at 2pm.
Most played seniors. Believe the rule was if you have them they have to play in the same team

Yes I doubt Malone (i assume thats who you're sarcastically talking about🤷‍♂️) will be back

And getting the 3rds up and going again will hopefully be beneficial for the future of the club

Last edited:
Now this could work... although not sure if it's possible as I think there was more to it than just covid that bought it to a halt
So you'd rather have Prisoners play at Rushy than talented players from around the State that might like Rushworth when they come to play a game and sign up for the next Season. Also why haven't you put your hand up for the Coaching role at the Club to help out?

So you'd rather have Prisoners play at Rushy than talented players from around the State that might like Rushworth when they come to play a game and sign up for the next Season. Also why haven't you put your hand up for the Coaching role at the Club to help out?
Yes I would prefer having 3 or 4 players guaranteed to play at Rushy for the whole season, rather than having to recruit 5 players every week....but we've been through that.
As for me coaching... you need a certain predisposition to be a coach, and I don't have that... nor do I have the time.
Have you put your hand up to help coach the club????

Yes I would prefer having 3 or 4 players guaranteed to play at Rushy for the whole season, rather than having to recruit 5 players every week....but we've been through that.
As for me coaching... you need a certain predisposition to be a coach, and I don't have that... nor do I have the time.
Have you put your hand up to help coach the club????
Ok you seem passionate about the Club I thought in a time of need you might be in the inner circle Coaching or running the recruiting to help them get through. I follow Footy everywhere but I'm not Coaching material but I guess I have a sympathetic eye on Rushworth atm like many people do. From afar I'm hearing and guessing the people connected don't care enough about the Club which is why the Club is where it's at now is that fair? or your just putting the Clubs situation down to a eroding youthful population in the area?

So if rushworth don’t have seniors does that not make the season unfair as some will be fixtured to play them twice and therefore guaranteed 2 wins while others once? Even if their players aren’t senior quality they should be made to play a senior team as that’s the leagues priority not the reserves. No one cares if the reserves are unbalanced and a benefit is gained by three teams but the seniors has to be balanced. If there is no senior game and you play them at home you get no crowd, no gate, no canteen revenue. It would be a disgrace to the league.

So if rushworth don’t have seniors does that not make the season unfair as some will be fixtured to play them twice and therefore guaranteed 2 wins while others once? Even if their players aren’t senior quality they should be made to play a senior team as that’s the leagues priority not the reserves. No one cares if the reserves are unbalanced and a benefit is gained by three teams but the seniors has to be balanced. If there is no senior game and you play them at home you get no crowd, no gate, no canteen revenue. It would be a disgrace to the league.
The draws already uneven, some teams got to play Rushy and Longwood twice last year.... where were the complaints then. There wasn't any coz it was just a % booster to those clubs.
It's not ideal, I get that, but is it fair to force Rushy, or any other team in this kind of situation, to put out a senior team that would struggle in the twos. No. All it will do is cause those players still interested in playing to lose interest and run the risk that by seasons end that the club can't field a team at all.... I still recall the uproar of 2021 when we had to forfiet to Avenel.
Its been allowed before in other leagues (not sure if Ardy were allowed to do it in the KDFL) to help clubs stay afloat.
By making Rushy field a senior team all it will achieve is a quicker death of the footy club..... is that what you want????

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the Rushy decision be heavily based on their long term ability to sustain 2x open age football sides .
Eg consideration of junior numbers 16-18 .
Surely if they have enough in that age group common sense would be for these kids to Develop in a competitive side ( reserves) and that would be in the clubs best long term interests .

Hard to tell at this early stage. Last year we had eight U18 and eight U13 teams in our competition.

The clubs that had U13s last year included Dookie United, Longwood, Merrigum, Murch-Toolamba, Rushworth, Shepp East, Undera and Violet Town.
  • Avenel and Nagambie have both advertised on social media for Under 14s, it will depend on what they elect to do with their Tabilk arrangement.
  • Tallygaroopna joined with Congupna to form the 'Roadrunners' in 2022.
  • As you know, Lancaster, Girgarre and Stanhope have their juniors in the Kyabram/St Augustine's set up.
Interesting that the Bendigo region has suggested a system similar to the Geelong area where essentially junior leagues progress up to Under 18s. The proposal over Bendigo way is that all Bendigo FL, Heathcote FL and Loddon Valley FL U18 teams are pooled together into one tiered competition. This creates a system where you may or may not have a junior game at your club on Saturday morning, which I feel causes a disconnect between the juniors and the seniors. I fear if that were to happen over here, the KDL could become a Senior and Reserve only competition.

What about...
Tabilk continue as an entity, pool their Under 12 and Under 14 players together, Tabilk Blue and Tabilk White one follows Nagambie fixture and the other follows Avenel. They train together and continue the work that they've done over many years.

The 'Kyabram Cluster' seeks to field two Under 14 teams in the Goulburn Murray Junior League playing on Sunday - as Kyabram and St Augustines. Depending on numbers, they look to field perhaps two more Under 14s teams in the Kyabram District League on a Saturday - with one aligning with the Girgarre and/or Stanhope fixture and the other aligning with Lancaster and/or Merrigum fixture (Merrigum had very limited players in 2022).

I really like the 'Roadrunners' concept that Congupna and Tallygaroopna have created, they aren't yet at a stage where they'd be able to run a Fourths team in both the Murray and Kyabram Leagues.

Perhaps we're pushing against the flow. If the Under 14 comp isn't viable, it could be time to concede and send our team into the junior competition.
If the KDL doesn’t continue its pursuit for its own bonafide junior pathway . Introduction - open age IMO the league will always be at the mercy of the GVL . Getting into a bidding war with GVL clubs over fringe GVL players is never going to end well for KDFL clubs particularly with the overarching Player Points system and salary cap where KDFL will continue to be handicapped .
Clubs should be looking to develop its own future players and doing everything in their powers to keep the majority of them .

Just in regards to the last part about the loss of revenue (gate/canteen) not having to pay 4/5k of senior match payments would most likely be a better outcome then a gate for a senior game.

Most played seniors. Believe the rule was if you have them they have to play in the same team

Yes I doubt Malone (i assume thats who you're sarcastically talking about🤷‍♂️) will be back

And getting the 3rds up and going again will hopefully be beneficial for the future of the club
Not being sarcastic, but would they offer him the senior role, even if his living in Melbourne, he might get a carload with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other leagues have done it and it's worked out ok, Kyneton and yarraweah, what's the alternative, they go into recess, good luck getting players back especially juniors

Just in regards to the last part about the loss of revenue (gate/canteen) not having to pay 4/5k of senior match payments would most likely be a better outcome then a gate for a senior game.
But you'd still run at a loss Snake, as coaches would look at that match payment saving & be proactive to recruit another player? Eitherway clubs will still spend the cap every opportunity they get but clubs will still lose revenue on the gate, canteen, bar etc for those home games!! It's not a dig at Rushy, it's more a factual statement & another impact that country clubs have to work through that AFL Vic sit back, brush under the carpet & let the country clubs work it out for themselves.....

Ok you seem passionate about the Club I thought in a time of need you might be in the inner circle Coaching or running the recruiting to help them get through. I follow Footy everywhere but I'm not Coaching material but I guess I have a sympathetic eye on Rushworth atm like many people do. From afar I'm hearing and guessing the people connected don't care enough about the Club which is why the Club is where it's at now is that fair? or your just putting the Clubs situation down to a eroding youthful population in the area?
I am passionate about the club... love the club. But as happens when you get older your priorities change. When I was younger I was on the committee and involved with recruiting.
Just coz 'in their time of need' I'm not 'in the inner circle coaching or running recruiting' doesn't mean I don't care and to insinuate that is poor on you.
And to say the people still connected don't care is also poor. The ones still connected are the ones busting their guts to keep things going in trying times.
Unfortunately for Rushy the town is becoming an older population where footy isn't a priority, and for the families that do come to town there seems to be plenty of kids involved in auskick... unfortunately it doesn't seem that many in the senior age group are moving to town.

Last edited:
I am passionate about the club... love the club. But as happens when you get older your priorities change. When I was younger I was on the committee and involved with recruiting.
Just coz 'in their time of need' I'm not 'in the inner circle coaching or running recruiting' doesn't mean I don't care and to insinuate that is poor on you.
And to say the people still connected don't care is also poor. The ones still connected are the ones busting their guts to keep things going in trying times.
Unfortunately for Rushy the town is becoming an older population where footy isn't a priority, and for the families that do come to town there seems to be plenty of kids involved in auskick... unfortunately it doesn't seem that many in the senior age group are moving to town.
So is longwood
Population of 200 or so and all the kids are gone and even playing age is scarce

The draws already uneven, some teams got to play Rushy and Longwood twice last year.... where were the complaints then. There wasn't any coz it was just a % booster to those clubs.
It's not ideal, I get that, but is it fair to force Rushy, or any other team in this kind of situation, to put out a senior team that would struggle in the twos. No. All it will do is cause those players still interested in playing to lose interest and run the risk that by seasons end that the club can't field a team at all.... I still recall the uproar of 2021 when we had to forfiet to Avenel.
Its been allowed before in other leagues (not sure if Ardy were allowed to do it in the KDFL) to help clubs stay afloat.
By making Rushy field a senior team all it will achieve is a quicker death of the footy club..... is that what you want????
The uproar of the forfeit in 2021! I recall it vividly. The rage and gnashing of teeth from some ... calls for fines and public floggings! It's like some people devoid of perspective, empathy or understanding of a township's situation think clubs want to forfeit a game. At any level.

The uproar of the forfeit in 2021! I recall it vividly. The rage and gnashing of teeth from some ... calls for fines and public floggings! It's like some people devoid of perspective, empathy or understanding of a township's situation think clubs want to forfeit a game rat any level.
And it apparently cost someone the league medal....

Haven’t met you personally jayco but do know a little about your involvement in the club where you have certainly done your bit so mate please don’t feel like you should have or could have done more The major problem amongst others mentioned is that Rushy has an aging population of only 1,335 Mate I would love rushy to survive I really would but this looks the end for the club

We have to be realistic to the fact that down the track - sooner rather than later - clubs from smaller towns will be susceptible to mergers or folding. Locals of playing age are reducing and, at the same time, red tape and other regulations means volunteers are few and far between and few people are putting their hands up to replace the burnt-out ones.

The number of clubs are going to start decreasing from now going forwards and AFL Vic are not providing any guidance. They should get leagues together and do some strategic planning and they should also assist clubs in the merger process and try to make newly-merged entities as strong as they can be on and off the field.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the money coming from the AFL that goes to AFLV ends up paying RAC employee salaries and the NAB League, not to where it is needed most. Money isn't going to make everything better but AFLV can provide more resources to its leagues and clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back