Player Watch Lachlan Sholl - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He has good points and we need outside players

However he's just too slightly built to compete against the best teams at this level. Even outside players need a hint of strength and he doesn't have any

We need to employ some dark magic to physically merge Sholl and Parnell into one normal sized player.

Williams?

Unfortunately Sholl is contracted til next year :(
Bailey

I don’t think Sholl is gone from our list at the end of the year, but we need others to go past him. If we’re looking for organic options from our list, Dowling and Nank could hopefully fit the bill

Bailey

I don’t think Sholl is gone from our list at the end of the year, but we need others to go past him. If we’re looking for organic options from our list, Dowling and Nank could hopefully fit the bill

Surely it's time to try someone else like those you mentioned or even giving Cook another go

He has good points and we need outside players

However he's just too slightly built to compete against the best teams at this level. Even outside players need a hint of strength and he doesn't have any

If we could just teach him to walk with his shoulders back at least.
The kid screams Im a softxock, pick me off.

Also can't make good decisions. Cannot realise he's about to be pounced on, then goes for htb. There's no power there as an outside player.
His kick is way overrated, misses a heap. So often I have to say where's that mythical brilliant disposal. Everyone can hit a few kicks.

Also can't make good decisions. Cannot realise he's about to be pounced on, then goes for htb. There's no power there as an outside player.
His kick is way overrated, misses a heap. So often I have to say where's that mythical brilliant disposal. Everyone can hit a few kicks.
He's not strong or tall enough to hold his ground.. gets pushed around too easily... And doesn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to evade the opposition. Id prefer someone like milera to play the wing

He's not strong or tall enough to hold his ground.. gets pushed around too easily... And doesn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to evade the opposition. Id prefer someone like milera to play the wing
Sure. He doesn't seem to understand how to do things in the moment like pivot/direction changes, think his way through a player approaching, the fact of when he's under heat.
It just ends up in a mess.
Physical and thought process problem.

What annoyed me most about his game was the kick for goal. It was an "honourable" effort, but never should have been taken.
He was obviously not confident, yet noone led to him or ran past to accept. Pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no way his game would stand up to finals physicality and pressure, will fold faster than Rory Atkins. We need to do better.

There is absolutely no way his game would stand up to finals physicality and pressure, will fold faster than Rory Atkins. We need to do better.
So there’s a lot of bigger/stronger. Guess he is only in his first few years. Good left and right on the run. Only little whispers like him could get to 248 games.

If you are looking for a naturally tougher player than Sholl Cook is definitely not your answer.
Reckon cook is a bit tougher.. but not much..

but cook has better skills and far more awareness. Just a far smarter player.

Reckon cook is a bit tougher.. but not much..

but cook has better skills and far more awareness. Just a far smarter player.

Its a source of frustration that we have already forgot about development in the AFL and thought the Sanfl is the answer. Players need AFL exposure. No point sitting players back in the Sanfl thinking they will show you AFL standard.

If you are looking for a naturally tougher player than Sholl Cook is definitely not your answer.
We don't need a tougher player, we need a player and can be tackled, still have their arms free and be able to handball.

Sholl is too weak and that's the main problem. I've been saying this for 2 years now.

Cook doesn't need to come in and be Luke Pedlar.

We don't need a tougher player, we need a player and can be tackled, still have their arms free and be able to handball.

Sholl is too weak and that's the main problem. I've been saying this for 2 years now.

Sholl will have his time where he has more time to use left and right.
He doesn’t now cos that’s where we are as a team defensively and the flow of our offence. When he gets that time we will resort to someone who’s overtaking him or he’s still there. Gotta praise the resilience of this young team player.

Hately could be the player they bring in though. Schoenberg while showing a bit really has lost his chance in my view to be the next mid in based on the poor AFL form he demonstrates consistently.

From what I’ve seen cook is good at getting his arms up above the tackle.
Certainly should be brought in for a good block of games.

It's a combination of both being weak and also being dumb when tackled

Both times he was caught dead he actually had time to dispose of it after he was tackled but before he was fully wrapped up. A quick handball first option type of give. But instead he chose to further take on the tackle and take that second more time, which allowed his opponent to completely dominate him physically.

This happened twice!

I know he's a "good user" but you can't have a physically weak player who is slow to react when tackled, who can't win contested ball and generally in hotly fought games also can't find the ball

Surely there is someone better

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachlan Sholl - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back