Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

douggie the don said:
saints have a good list but i can't see how they are expected to have a flag by now.....
a majority of their gun players are 23 and under...
look at port and brisbane, they had success now their lists are looking old..
i think the saints have primarily under-achieved due to the pre-mature pressure that was put on them for success.
i don't really think that you can put Thomas on either side of the coin yet.
the next two years will be a better indication..
to say that they should have 1 or 2 flags by now is crazy
I think this is a fair assessment.

It's one thing to have star players, but it's another to have star players with finals experience. This contributed to the Swans' premiership this year - of the top 8 sides this year the Swans had more collective finals experience than all the other top 8 sides except Port. Don't underestimate the role that experience in finals plays in success.

If the Saints do win a premiership in the next three years, people will view the Saints' losses in the preliminary finals in 2004 and 2005 in their proper context. Those losses would be a part of the journey to a premiership, and not a destination in themselves.

Most clubs that have won premierships in the last 10 years did so after previous unsuccessful finals campaigns. Adelaide in 1997 and 1998 are the sole exception. For each premiership, I list the results of finals campaigns for the previous four seasons for that club.
Sydney 2005: lost semi in 2004, lost prelim in 2003, lost elimination final in 2001.
Port 2004: Lost prelim in 2003, lost prelim in 2002, lost semi in 2001.
Brisbane 2001-2003: Lost semi in 2000, lost prelim in 1999, lost elimination final in 1997.
Essendon 2000: Lost prelim in 1999, lost elimination final in 1998, lost prelim in 1996.
Kangaroos 1996 and 1999: Lost Grand Final in 1998, lost prelim in 1997, lost prelim in 1995, lost prelim in 1994, lost elimination final in 1993.

For comparison, here are the Saints finals results over the last four seasons:
St Kilda: Lost prelim in 2005, lost prelim in 2004.

So the Saints are no worse off than the majority of sides that won premierships in the last ten years.

I'm worried about GT though. Gehrig on Hall in the PF was not a brilliant coaching move. Hall was smart enough to expose Gehrig's weakness by running around and around and around until Gehrig tired. If GT can eliminate such brain explosions from his coaching decisions, then the Saints will be dangerous in 2006 and 2007.

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

Thunderbird said:
Sydney 2005: lost semi in 2004, lost prelim in 2003, lost elimination final in 2001.
Sounds like Geelong: Lost semi is 2005, lost prelim is 2004, lost elimination in 2000. Very similar :)

PAFC2004 said:
Can someone say BIAS?
Where's his premiership medallion?

He will never be seeing a premiership medallion. He is a joke of a coach. That poor guy it must almost kill him running down from level2 of telstra dome to get onto the ground. Note GT If you dont know already Telstra dome have a gym So save yourself time and coach from the gym just watch the game from the tv while you work out a bit.

:thumbsu:

Grant Thomas GYM at Telstra dome
http://www.flyingstart.com.au/leisure_health_facilities.htm

Ferox said:
He is a coach with one of the greatest lists of all time - up there potentially with the 3 peat Lions.

I expect a minimum of 2 Premierships from this playing group - 3 if Cornflakes is any good.

Lets see him eat some real pressure!

As flattering as all that is that simply is rubbish (and im a mad saints fan).

Our list IMO is no-where near as complete as the Lions 3peat - their backline was far superior to ours at any stage I believe (considering Penny's knees appear shot) and their midfield has 3 brownlow medallist in it - with Lappin unlucky IMO.

Our fwd line is superior IMO but thats probably it - potential or not...no comparison.

bresker said:
I agree. Kosi's performance against the Dogs up forward at the MCG this year was one of the best I saw all year.

Kosi played ruck that day and rested forward.......go figure........I tend to agree though the kosi in the ruck isnt the best spot for him (at least not as a permanent ruck option).

that St kilda team was never going to win the premiership with all those injuried players. Simple Fact Adelaide choked against St kilda in the First Qualfying Final.

Leo.J said:
That move had no bearing on the game, the fact that the Saints could not kick straight and apply scoreboard pressure early on was more of an issue.
No it didn't. That is why the coleman medalists was playing on his main rival for the medal.
Leo.J said:
It would have been a different story had the Saints been 4 goals up at 3 qtr time rather than a few points being the difference.
If, If, If.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doofy said:
No it didn't. That is why the coleman medalists was playing on his main rival for the medal.

He'd already won the medal you knob.

Doofy said:
If, If, If.

The Saints didn't play well enough to beat the Peter Bradburys of the AFL that night.

I'd be happy too if my team was given an extra sallary cap and a bigger list purely to promote the AFL's agenda and profits, it has nothing to do with equality. I'd be happy if I was supporting a side that fundamentally has only the logo and colours in common with the original club. Sydney is Sydney, South Melbourne is extinct.

All that said I'd still be happy with a flag. :)

Doofy said:

He wasn't a rival, Gehrig had already won the Coleman medal.

If you know anything about the game you would have realised that the Saints had nobody who could go with Hall after Hall had cowardly punched McGuire from behind putting him out for much of that quarter. McGuire had to recover from the cowards punch, and Thomas knowing Hall is a coward and that is the reason he got rid of him, knew Hall would never have the courage to go Fraze who would tear him a new rrrsole.

As it happened Thomas was proven correct. Hall didn't have the courage to take on Gehrig, showing to the world he is a coward.

Cheers.

Joffaboy said:
He wasn't a rival, Gehrig had already won the Coleman medal.

If you know anything about the game you would have realised that the Saints had nobody who could go with Hall after Hall had cowardly punched McGuire from behind putting him out for much of that quarter. McGuire had to recover from the cowards punch, and Thomas knowing Hall is a coward and that is the reason he got rid of him, knew Hall would never have the courage to go Fraze who would tear him a new rrrsole.

As it happened Thomas was proven correct. Hall didn't have the courage to take on Gehrig, showing to the world he is a coward.

Cheers.
if halls punch was so vicious wouldn't you expect that the other saints players would have remonstrated with the cowardly hall?

if hall did that to one of the pies blokes in a final id want half the team to get stuck into hall, perhaps they were a bit timid as it was the big coward hall??

doppleganger said:
if halls punch was so vicious wouldn't you expect that the other saints players would have remonstrated with the cowardly hall?

if hall did that to one of the pies blokes in a final id want half the team to get stuck into hall, perhaps they were a bit timid as it was the big coward hall??

They were'nt timid they were disciplined and were probably thinking of their team mates and the following week, unlike Hall. But as it turned out Hall got off, I wonder if Fraser would of got off for something similar.... oh thats right he got done for a lesser offence.

I also liked the Fuhrers smoke screen earlier on in the season, potting Sydney about their style of play so people would over look the assistance the AFL gives them, including letting Hall play in the GF, what a friggin Joke that was. I'd still be bleeding about that verdict if I was a WC supporter. Good politics Demetriou.

Andy only needs one more for the set now....Freo....lets see what he can do for them?

Thomas will unfortunately continue to shoot the saints in the foot.
Aussie Jones, not a single handed matchwinner but could have been an integral part of any finals campaign - until Thomas has a little heart to heart and chases a recent AA into premature retirement.
Incredible that the saints admin lets him get away with it. I would enjoy seeing Harvey and co with a premiership medallion but could not wish Thomas the same.
Back to your soup diet chump. A quick fix will not last longest.

plough said:
Thomas will unfortunately continue to shoot the saints in the foot.
Aussie Jones, not a single handed matchwinner but could have been an integral part of any finals campaign - until Thomas has a little heart to heart and chases a recent AA into premature retirement.
Incredible that the saints admin lets him get away with it. I would enjoy seeing Harvey and co with a premiership medallion but could not wish Thomas the same.
Back to your soup diet chump. A quick fix will not last longest..

What the!!! :confused:

plough said:
Incredible that the saints admin lets him get away with it. I QUOTE]

hahaha you absolute donkeynob...
that's one of the more stupid things i've read on here in the last 6 months.

Doofy said:
Coaching Move of the Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSCF2856.sized.jpg

St.Kilda without Penny, Kosi, Fisher and Maguire.

Fraser Gehrig runner up B&F at CHB 3 years ago. Fraser Gehrig has played on, and beaten Hall before. He also hasn't been able to take a mark in his hands at full-forward since round 15.

Why was this such a bad move?

Lavender Bushranger said:
St.Kilda without Penny, Kosi, Fisher and Maguire.

Fraser Gehrig runner up B&F at CHB 3 years ago. Fraser Gehrig has played on, and beaten Hall before. He also hasn't been able to take a mark in his hands at full-forward since round 15.

Why was this such a bad move?

bcoz it's Thommo.
if Sheedy had done it, it would have been lauded as the move of the century.
would also have loved to have seen the general uproar if Grant had gone down onto the sidelines "NFL style" like Sheeds against West Coast.

who gives a stuff if thommo goes down to the sidelines. sheedy was there because of his hip from the operation. the stuff he put to the press was horsedung.

can you ever imagine matty lloyd being put at CHB/FB on bazza hall, would never happen and if it did i can't see any essendon supporter calling sheedy a genius for doing it. more like a t-w-a-t...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back