Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

dodgyJim said:
who gives a stuff if thommo goes down to the sidelines. sheedy was there because of his hip from the operation. the stuff he put to the press was horsedung.

can you ever imagine matty lloyd being put at CHB/FB on bazza hall, would never happen and if it did i can't see any essendon supporter calling sheedy a genius for doing it. more like a t-w-a-t...

yep, but the Velvet Sledgehammer is probably the most one dimensional player in the AFL.
The G Train is versatile enough to play anywhere on the ground, so I don't have a problem with him playing half a quarter there if needed.

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

dodgyJim said:
who gives a stuff if thommo goes down to the sidelines. sheedy was there because of his hip from the operation. the stuff he put to the press was horsedung.

can you ever imagine matty lloyd being put at CHB/FB on bazza hall, would never happen and if it did i can't see any essendon supporter calling sheedy a genius for doing it. more like a t-w-a-t...

That's the point DJ.

Lloyd has never been a runner up B&F at CHB, and he hasn't previously beaten Hall in that position. And Essendon may not have had their only other available player to take that posi writhing on the ground due to a cowardly punch to the midriff behind play.

So if Sheedy was to do it, it probably would have been foolish. For Thomas to do it however, was really his only option and one that was completely full of merit.

dodgyJim said:

It would never happen because Lloyd can't play anywhere else, he's 1 dimensional. He's a FF and thats it, where as Gehrig has played back before. Fraser even had a run down there in the later stages of the final against Adelaide didn't he?? And didn't he make a few spoils that saved the game, what a stupid move that was...

Didn't Leppitsch used to play FF, then Lethal moved him down back on occasions, then permanetly, what a stupid move that was too. :D

MRobbo said:
St Kilda may well win the flag but it has nothing to do with Grant Thomas. It shows the draft works and he has good players underneath him that make him look good. He is still the worst coach in the job but along way. Well done to the saints tonight just too good.

Yes and yes.

When you look at all 16 coaches, Thomas, to be honest, is probably the worst. I admire some things he has done, but, please, most underrated? Anyone in AFL football circles could coach them to the eight and beyond. Their list/drafting is brilliant - a super side.

Johnson#26 said:
Yes and yes.

When you look at all 16 coaches, Thomas, to be honest, is probably the worst. I admire some things he has done, but, please, most underrated? Anyone in AFL football circles could coach them to the eight and beyond. Their list/drafting is brilliant - a super side.

Isn't drafting part of the coaches job, doesn't keeping a brilliant list together suggest that he may know what he's on about. And since he's been there the whole side has re-signed, wouldn't you think if he was a crap coach the players would know it, and therefore think that they have no hope of winning a flag under him a go somewhere else.

If you haven't noticed no one has left.

Johnson#26 said:
Yes and yes.

What does our 'list' (which is hugely overrated in my opinion) have to do with it when 9 of the best 18 are sitting in the grandstand?

To say that anyone could get the remnants of a list that we had for the majority of last year into the 8 is just foolish.

Laughable really.

Johnson#26 said:
Yes and yes.

anyone remember when Blight tried to play Barry Hall at full back when he was at the Saints ??
Blighty is still regarded as one of the greats while the Saints still get slammed for sacking him.
BBBBH has gone onto be one of the great forwards after that little experiment failed dismally.
no point, just an interesting comparison i think.

The Dice Man said:
Sydney
West Coast
Adelaide
St Kilda
Kangaroos
Geelong
Melbourne
Port Adelaide

W. Bulldogs
Fremantle
Brisbane
Richmond
Essendon
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Carlton

And I rest my case.

Thanks for your support in my argument. To have the worst injury list by far in the comp and to finish 3rd is incredible.

Lavender Bushranger said:
013834ao.jpg

Fair dinkum, how on earth does a club with the injury list that the Saints have had all season (including the pre-season) find themselves with a home prelim??

I still cannot fathom how people with half a brain do not take this guy seriously as a football coach.

I read recently on Saintsational that he is the most underrated coach in the history of the game, and I have to agree. Wholeheartedly.

What he has managed so far this year is nothing short of amazing.

He's one out of the box yet doesn't get the credit he deserves. Very odd.

ahahahhahahahahaha

hahahaha

:D

hahah

skywalk750 said:
ahahahhahahahahaha

hahahaha

:D

hahah

Wasn't it Bomber Thompson who said that Geelongs young players were better than the Saints young players.

So using that logic, shouldn't Geelong be doing better than the Saints since our list is apparently sooo good because of all our young guns.

Where does that leave Bomber as a coach??

For GT to be 'the most underrated coach' he would have to have either:

1. Been written off but won a premiership anyway... no thats Paul Roos

OR

2. Been expected to come last or near it but won the minor premiership instead... no thats Neil Craig

Instead, GT has the MOST gifted team in the comp, been afforded the HIGHEST expectations, and yet delivered.... nothing.

He is not underrated, at best he is rated as the hack coach he really is.

I'd say chris connolly is the most underrated coach of all time. No one rates him but he's the most successful coach in freo's afl history (not hard to achieve i know) and he still has his job.

Schneiderman said:

OR

2. Been expected to come last or near it but won the minor premiership instead... no thats Neil Craig

Instead, GT has the MOST gifted team in the comp, been afforded the HIGHEST expectations, and yet delivered.... nothing.

I wreckon GT would do alright too, if he had a few hundred thousand extra in the salary cap and more players to choose from on his list, but we don't all have the green light from the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes it's not about finding the best coach, but about finding the best coach for your football club.

Few would argue that Blight is a better coach, but he wasn't right for St.Kilda. You'd have to say that Sheedy is perfect for Essendon. Pagan, for all his greatness is probably not right for Carlton at the present time, but he was the perfect type of coach for the Kangaroos at the time.

Grant Thomas to me, is just about the perfect fit at St.Kilda. He understands the club, has a level head, and seems to be taking them in the right direction.

The people who think St.Kilda's list should result in 2 or 3 premierships have no idea. There are 16 clubs. You don't just walk away with two or three flags, like it's the easiest thing in the world. The hardest part is to keep contending for the flag year in year out, and during those contending years hoping you can snag one flag.

St.Kilda have been a contender over the last two years (since their list matured) and there is nothing more you can do as a coach, than be up there contending as GT has done.

Dan26 said:
Sometimes it's not about finding the best coach, but about finding the best coach for your football club.

Few would argue that Blight is a better coach, but he wasn't right for St.Kilda. You'd have to say that Sheedy is perfect for Essendon. Pagan, for all his greatness is probably not right for Carlton at the present time, but he was the perfect type of coach for the Kangaroos at the time.

Grant Thomas to me, is just about the perfect fit at St.Kilda. He understands the club, has a level head, and seems to be taking them in the right direction.

The people who think St.Kilda's list should result in 2 or 3 premierships have no idea. There are 16 clubs. You don't just walk away with two or three flags, like it's the easiest thing in the world. The hardest part is to keep contending for the flag year in year out, and during those contending years hoping you can snag one flag.

St.Kilda have been a contender over the last two years (since their list matured) and there is nothing more you can do as a coach, than be up there contending as GT has done.

Finally some sense... :thumbsu:

Schneiderman said:

OR

And a new contender arises for the most pathetic post of 2005. Well done son.

What on earth does 'being written off' have to do with anything? Demetriou 'writes Sydney off' with one hand, then hands them a flag with the other. Big deal.

Secondly, anyone who wrote off a seasoned finals campaigner with one of the best lists - which remains fully fit - against 3 other finals sides which succumb to horrendous injuries lists, is a fool

Again, what on earth does what some cretins on here or in the Herald-Sun predict??? Moron.
A fully fit list that gets rolled at home when it counts against an injury ravaged side missing an entire backline plus most of it's stars yet Neil Craig gets kudos??

Correction - GT built, and retained arguably the best team in the comp. For the record, nowhere near it in my opinion. Regardless of the fact that 9 of the starting 18 have missed most of the past 2 years, he has done what only 3 other coaches have achieved in the past 4 years.

You sir, are a fool of the highest order.

Leo.J said:
He'd already won the medal you knob.
Duh!! Hall was still his main rival for the medal!! (Maybe I should have put, while it was still up for grabs)
Leo.J said:
The Saints didn't play well enough to beat the Peter Bradburys of the AFL that night.
Who the hell is Peter Bradbury?????

Leo.J said:
I'd be happy too if my team was given an extra sallary cap and a bigger list purely to promote the AFL's agenda and profits, it has nothing to do with equality. I'd be happy if I was supporting a side that fundamentally has only the logo and colours in common with the original club. Sydney is Sydney, South Melbourne is extinct.
Yawn!!!! Salary cap which was not fully utilised last year.

Bigger list??? How so???

Sydney Swans were South Melbourne, get over it.

Leo.J said:
All that said I'd still be happy with a flag. :)
We are, we are!! :D

Joffaboy said:
He wasn't a rival, Gehrig had already won the Coleman medal.

If you know anything about the game you would have realised that the Saints had nobody who could go with Hall after Hall had cowardly punched McGuire from behind putting him out for much of that quarter. McGuire had to recover from the cowards punch, and Thomas knowing Hall is a coward and that is the reason he got rid of him, knew Hall would never have the courage to go Fraze who would tear him a new rrrsole.

As it happened Thomas was proven correct. Hall didn't have the courage to take on Gehrig, showing to the world he is a coward.

Cheers.
You mean Macguire's soft dive???

Couldn't cope with a tummy tap.

Leo.J said:
They were'nt timid they were disciplined and were probably thinking of their team mates and the following week, unlike Hall. But as it turned out Hall got off, I wonder if Fraser would of got off for something similar.... oh thats right he got done for a lesser offence.

I also liked the Fuhrers smoke screen earlier on in the season, potting Sydney about their style of play so people would over look the assistance the AFL gives them, including letting Hall play in the GF, what a friggin Joke that was. I'd still be bleeding about that verdict if I was a WC supporter. Good politics Demetriou.

Andy only needs one more for the set now....Freo....lets see what he can do for them?
Truly delusional

St.Kilda without Penny, Kosi, Fisher and Maguire.

Fraser Gehrig runner up B&F at CHB 3 years ago. Fraser Gehrig has played on, and beaten Hall before. He also hasn't been able to take a mark in his hands at full-forward since round 15.

Why was this such a bad move?
Reeked of desperation.

Leo.J said:
Wasn't it Bomber Thompson who said that Geelongs young players were better than the Saints young players.

So using that logic, shouldn't Geelong be doing better than the Saints since our list is apparently sooo good because of all our young guns.

Where does that leave Bomber as a coach??
Wait till next season Geelong have a good young list, who will be much better next year.

And a new contender arises for the most pathetic post of 2005. Well done son.

Too late. You already won the award with your first post, so I should aim for next year.

And as for my arguments, you really should go back to school if you want to argue this topic. How on earth can a coach be 'the most underrated' when he is: a. favourite to win the premiership in 2005 and b. doesn't do it?

As for "what some cretins on here or in the Herald-Sun predict", aren't they the ones you are arguing are 'underrating' GT in the first place?? So they count when they suit your argument, but not when others use them?? And you label ME a moron?? :eek:

Your (lack of) logic astounds me. Now if you said "GT will, in time, be regarded as the most maligned coach ever" I would have said "We'll see". He'd still have to win a bunch of flags with the team he has, but I'm not going to argue about the future.

But for now, he is clearly not 'underrated' by any stretch. So you are the fool for suggesting it.

Doofy said:
Who the hell is Peter Bradbury?????

Steven Bradbury, sorry about that, he is a pretty forgetable name, most people know him as the guy who won gold because everyone else fell over.

I think most AFL fans can relate to that now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back