Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Leo.J said:
You left out this bit "We didn't have that many soft tissue injuries which was great and that was reflected in the few operations required in the post-season," Gibbs told sydneyswans.com.au.

No I didn't. That was a waste of a remedial reading class wasn't it?

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

Bloods Rule! said:
As you are so simple that you need everything attributed, I've included the full quotations below. Bylines are now used more often because journalists have become glory seeking. It used to be that serious journals of record would not use bylines because every story is produced by the editor, the journalist, the fact checkers, the sub editors, etc - certainly not just one person. Choice magazine still doesn't run bylines as up to 80 people contribute to every article. Similiarly anything run on any AFL website certainly has been vetted by the club concerned and the AFL.

The article -

When Sydney kept their best 22 on the ground in the final months of the season, it was more down to good management than luck.

Years of data management and analysis by the Club's medical group allowed the Swans to cohere into a damaging outfit capable of taking out the flag.

Club doctor Nathan Gibbs said the players who ran onto the MCG on the final Saturday in September were fit and healthy.

"We didn't have that many soft tissue injuries which was great and that was reflected in the few operations required in the post-season," Gibbs told sydneyswans.com.au.

Gibbs believes the main difference to previous years was more data to alter the individually design programs of each players that starts from pre-season training and continues throughout the year.

"There is a lot of individualism to all the programs for each player now based on what is good or bad for them," he said.

"It's based on injury history and it's based on performance and it is correlated with training modes.

"In other words we look at how hard people train every week of the year, and we correlate it with their performance in games which we get from best and fairest points.

"We also correlate all that information with when people get injured and we then correlate it with a training load subjective, how hard they are training and muscle soreness they feel and these sorts of things.

"(Physiotherapist) Matty Cameron, (Elite Performance Manager) David Misson and myself have been monitoring all those variables for three seasons and the main difference this year was that the more information you culminate about an individual the more you can fine tune their program because you know more about them.

"Sometimes the only way you know how hard to push someone is when they breakdown so a lot of the expertise in running this type of program is based on hindsight which is obviously very inexact.

"For example when someone hurt their hamstring last year we look at all the variables that led up to it happening and try to change it so it doesn't happen again.

Gibbs feels that despite being extremely time consuming to collect all the daily data; it was validated with the "great last three month performance record we had of a virtually full list, a healthy team that played the Grand Final and ten weeks prior."

I wonder if Grant Thomas will pay attention. Does it fit his management model?

I back this as I know Dr Nathan Gibbs and have done work with him in regards to collecting the data and analysing it as a uni placement student and I can tell you they are so thorough and are cutting edge when it comes to injury managment, rehab and prevention and reasons for soft tissue injuries.

Re: Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!

LittleSchneider said:
I back this as I know Dr Nathan Gibbs and have done work with him in regards to collecting the data and analysing it as a uni placement student and I can tell you they are so thorough and are cutting edge when it comes to injury managment, rehab and prevention and reasons for soft tissue injuries.

Name one club that doesn't? Just one.

Leo.J said:
The best part of you was flushed off to Werribee this morning (or where ever Sydney's sh#t goes).

Sydney sh#t comes out of their mouths.

Their "evidence" is a puff piece about some ex thugby bum sniffer Nathan Gibbs on their official website in a mutual wan.k session.

Sydney fans. Bandwagoners and glory hunters. Know nothing nuff nuffs :rolleyes:

Give us some more "sources". Fantastic :rolleyes:

Joffaboy said:

Their "evidence" is a puff piece about some ex thugby bum sniffer Nathan Gibbs on their official website in a mutual wan.k session.

You are right. Sydney know nothing - except how to put the best team on the field week after week.

Oh, and we know how to win a Premiership.

Don't worry about the evidence. Just keep repeated "we're the best and deserve to win the flag" often enough and your wish might come true. In best Saints form you might like to stamp your feet while you do it. I doubt your wish will be realised, but it might . . .

Leo.J said:
The best part of you was flushed off to Werribee this morning (or where ever Sydney's sh#t goes).
St Kilda!

Joffaboy said:

Would you like a tissue, you have a brown stain on your chin.

Doofy you're on fire today, but you guys continue to miss the point of the thread, and the arguements that some people are presenting, and that is that GT is underrated because of what the Saints achieved dispite crippling injuries.

Even the article that was posted regarding good management of player fitness for the Swans, this clearly suggested that it was the medical departments doings, not the coaching staff.

So again how can GT be held directly accountable for the injuries? Indirectly yes the senior coach wears the blame for the sides performance, but read between the lines, how can the coach prevent these injuries during the season. If its a management issue like who is appointed as your medical staff then maybe the finger can be pointed, I say maybe, but how does that detract from what he has achieved during the season with the limited list he had???

Joffaboy said:

Give us some more "sources". Fantastic

Wow the hurt is still there love it! :D

It hurts doesnt it. I have great delight in seeing pigs like you squirm and hurt over this years result. I take great privilage in remembering that friday night when half way through the last qrt the St Kilda flood was in action, the flood of st kilda supporters streaming out of the G with such agnoy on their faces it made me even more happier.

At the end of the day the history books and commentators will look at 2005 and read "Premiers - Sydney Swans"

Just remember that JoffaBoy. ;)

Diego said:
It hurts doesnt it. I have great delight in seeing pigs like you squirm and hurt over this years result. I take great privilage in remembering that friday night when half way through the last qrt the St Kilda flood was in action, the flood of st kilda supporters streaming out of the G with such agnoy on their faces it made me even more happier.
:eek:

Leo.J said:
Doofy you're on fire today, but you guys continue to miss the point of the thread, and the arguements that some people are presenting, and that is that GT is underrated because of what the Saints achieved dispite crippling injuries.

Even the article that was posted regarding good management of player fitness for the Swans, this clearly suggested that it was the medical departments doings, not the coaching staff.

So again how can GT be held directly accountable for the injuries? Indirectly yes the senior coach wears the blame for the sides performance, but read between the lines, how can the coach prevent these injuries during the season. If its a management issue like who is appointed as your medical staff then maybe the finger can be pointed, I say maybe, but how does that detract from what he has achieved during the season with the limited list he had???
Injuries, such as Reiwoldts, NG Browns, etc are unfortunate and their is little anyone can do to prevent these. Put them in the ******** happens basket.

But soft tissue injuries can be reduced (not avoided) by good preparation, conditioning and decision making. All clubs have tried initiatives to help reduce, The Bombers used the Lycra tights for training a few years, back which appeared to reduce these types of injuires, they even employed a scooter to help with rehabilitation of certain injuries.
Sydney was successful this year in keeping these injuries to a minumum, thru new fandangled traingin equipment, and conditioning. However, we still had the N Davis v Essendon incident, where he lasted 30 secs, (or less). The coach took the advice of the medical staff, and lost out.

But, IMO it is the coaches responsibilty who takes the field based on the information at hand.

Saints coach Grant Thomas was bitterly disappointed, but magnanimous in defeat. "Full cedit must go to Sydney. They were too hard, too tough in the end and unfortunately, it was an uncharacteristic last quarter by us."

"We've just got to take responsibility, I've got to take responsibility as a coach…I could have done much better than I did and the playing group needs to take responsibility."

Doofy said:
Injuries, such as Reiwoldts, NG Browns, etc are unfortunate and their is little anyone can do to prevent these. Put them in the ******** happens basket.

But soft tissue injuries can be reduced (not avoided) by good preparation, conditioning and decision making. All clubs have tried initiatives to help reduce, The Bombers used the Lycra tights for training a few years, back which appeared to reduce these types of injuires, they even employed a scooter to help with rehabilitation of certain injuries.
Sydney was successful this year in keeping these injuries to a minumum, thru new fandangled traingin equipment, and conditioning. However, we still had the N Davis v Essendon incident, where he lasted 30 secs, (or less). The coach took the advice of the medical staff, and lost out.

But, IMO it is the coaches responsibilty who takes the field based on the information at hand.

Saints coach Grant Thomas was bitterly disappointed, but magnanimous in defeat. "Full cedit must go to Sydney. They were too hard, too tough in the end and unfortunately, it was an uncharacteristic last quarter by us."

"We've just got to take responsibility, I've got to take responsibility as a coach…I could have done much better than I did and the playing group needs to take responsibility."

Of course it is, I think everyone would agree on that, but most coaches aren't doctors and have to go on what players themselves and medical staff say, what else can he go on????

The coach ultimately wears the responsibility as the media frontman of the club, but to blame a coach for injuries, which is basically what is being proposed here, is ridiculous, or to claim that a coach has coached well because a club has no or little injuries is just as moronic.

If you look back GT has taken responsibility for every loss we have had, and he has never blamed team performance on injuries unless heavily provoked.

So that was predictable that he would say that. Do you really think Sheedy believes in Martians? What GT says to the media and what he thinks would generally differ. This aside that doesn't take away from the fact that the Saints were hit hard by key injuries through out the season and prominently during the finals, and to finish where we did is a credit to the coach and his assistants. This is what the thread is about, I don't know how this can be debated when you look at the facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lavender Bushranger said:
Most on BigFooty argue that 1 flag in your history is pathetic.

The Swans have won four Premierships since 1897 - there's only one team that has been around since the 19th Century and only has one Premiership.

Bloods Rule! said:
The Swans have won four Premierships since 1897 - there's only one team that has been around since the 19th Century and only has one Premiership.

If you want South Melbourne's history you have the biggest drought in VFL/AFL history....some would say that is pathetic.

The Fireman said:
Oh yes, no backline Montagna at pick 37, Gwilt at pick 62, two of the best players on the ground for the Saints. Dal Santo at 13, Harvey a zone selection in 1988.

Geez you are right :)

LOL thats still alot better then every other team in the AFL. Can't believe you have the nerve to put 13 as a low pick and even include Harvey as a zone. LOL Chris Grant was number 106 or something outragreous, hird was in the 70s somewhere but it was a long time ago before the revamped draft system that the saints have benefitted well from... Even pick 37 is a very EARLY 3rd round pick.

sedders said:
typical arrogant saints supporter. and you wonder why everyone hates you

It may just be a stupid question that comes from a non-aussie who has no clue about national australian discussions, but I really don't get it.

Why are saints supporters arrogant, or how can they be, if they have never but once achieved what's called the final goal in australian football? I have yet to meet a saints supporter that is arrogant, if something they are comprehensive with their team given their history. I really don't understand how come can you call them arrogant. Can you tell this ignorant one why, please?

Thanks.

013834ao.jpg

Fair dinkum, how on earth does a club with the injury list that the Saints have had all season (including the pre-season) find themselves with a home prelim??

I still cannot fathom how people with half a brain do not take this guy seriously as a football coach.

I read recently on Saintsational that he is the most underrated coach in the history of the game, and I have to agree. Wholeheartedly.

What he has managed so far this year is nothing short of amazing.

He's one out of the box yet doesn't get the credit he deserves. Very odd.

Mate my grandmother could coach that team with that list. He's alright when they're doing fine but when they start getting trounced he hasn't got a clue. Should have won 2 premierships by now with that list.

Mate my grandmother could coach that team with that list. He's alright when they're doing fine but when they start getting trounced he hasn't got a clue. Should have won 2 premierships by now with that list.

Can a collingwood supporter ever say anything intelligent? Nicely staked with cliche and a complete lack of knowledge.

Pity your grandmother's abilities didn't come through to you. Idiot.

Coming off 2 six day breaks, and a trip to perth, and down at qtr time against a pumped up dogs team...what happened at the end?

bluejay said:
It may just be a stupid question that comes from a non-aussie who has no clue about national australian discussions, but I really don't get it.

Why are saints supporters arrogant, or how can they be, if they have never but once achieved what's called the final goal in australian football? I have yet to meet a saints supporter that is arrogant, if something they are comprehensive with their team given their history. I really don't understand how come can you call them arrogant. Can you tell this ignorant one why, please?

Thanks.
I wish you luck, born here I still struggle some Australian discussions.
Maybe if you take into account the intelligence levels of the few that produce these odd discussions.:eek:

Seth said:

He got his coaching moves from the Twisties packet he stole as a child! :D

Till they can win a flag, they will always be viewed as major underacheivers!

Roosy or Worsfold would have taken that list to a couple by now.

013834ao.jpg

Fair dinkum, how on earth does a club with the injury list that the Saints have had all season (including the pre-season) find themselves with a home prelim??

I still cannot fathom how people with half a brain do not take this guy seriously as a football coach.

I read recently on Saintsational that he is the most underrated coach in the history of the game, and I have to agree. Wholeheartedly.

What he has managed so far this year is nothing short of amazing.

He's one out of the box yet doesn't get the credit he deserves. Very odd.
You've got to hand it to this guy! Not only is he a Full-Time AFL coach, but in his spare time he writes articles for his teams website!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladies and Gents, I Introduce to you the AFL's Most Underrated Coach of All Time!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back