Laidley re umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep

One of them being about Gibbo where Buddy was awarded a free.

This is what was caught on mic thanks to Zvim

It came down to the free kicks paid to Franklin where he initiated the wrestling and both were holding eachother, those were moronic free kicks and the umpire in question was picked up on the radio who had the umpire on the mic.

It was something like this:
Gibson: "What was that for?!"
Maggot: "For holding his jumper"
Gibson: "He grabbed hold of mine first!"
Maggot: "You were both doing it."
Gibson: "Exactly! how can you pay a free to Franklin?!"
Maggot: "I don't have to explain myself to you."

Laidley will seek 'please explain'
Author: Ben Casanelia
6:23 PM Sat 05 April, 2008

NORTH Melbourne coach Dean Laidley will seek a ‘please explain’ from the AFL in the wake of his side’s 16-point loss to Hawthorn.

Laidley told his post-match media conference he would seek out AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson to discuss what he says was unacceptable banter between umpires and his players.

“I’m not going to talk about decisions from umpires but I’m certainly going to speak to Adrian Anderson about some conversations that took place…. conversations and body language and sounds from umpires that shouldn’t happen at this level,” he said.

“I’m certainly going to go and speak to Adrian about that.

“The decisions, it’s a waste of time going to Jeff Gieschen (umpires adviser), you just get on with it.”

Laidley declined to expand on what comments were made but was clearly upset and frustrated with the umpiring, even though the count ironically favoured his side 21-15.

Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin kicked two of his five goals from questionable free kicks.

“When your players come to you and say things like that it’s a worrying sign,” Laidley said of the chat between his players and umpires.

“I’m not going to talk about the decisions but I’m just letting you know that I will go through the right channels and speak to Adrian because some of the stuff that came back I don’t think is right.”

Laidley said luck played a big part in his side losing its second game of the season but maintained he had nothing but admiration for the way his team committed itself to the cause.

The Hawks kicked six goals to one in the final term to overrun the Roos who led by 17 points at the final change.

“I take my hat off to our boys because I thought they were terrific today,” he said.

“When you get to games like this and - probably even early in the last quarter where you don’t get a bit of luck - and in the end that’s the scoreline.

“It’s gut wrenching to lose and they (the players) were pretty downtrodden after the game.

"I said to them; 'when you get to games like this and you give it your best shot and what happens is what’s left over is a bit of luck'.

“And unfortunately we didn’t get it today and they probably got a bit of luck.

“But, I thought their endeavour and their attack on the football was very, very good.

“At the end of the day that’s all you can ask.”

Laidley praised the game of Josh Gibson who had the monumental task of stopping Franklin. The Hawk spearhead kicked five goals including two in the final term.

Source: kangaroos.com.au

well that is very interesting and well worth a chat to the brains trust.

I'm gonna call it the way I see it & actually think that 2 umpires were pretty good today. It was the same umpire making al the mistakes... Number 16 Matthew Head.

Earlier in the game he was paying free kicks without signalling whose free it was... He was confusing the hell out of players from both teams.

If you go back & look at all of the 50-50's, you will find it was the same umpire over & over again

You will also find that it was this umpire who felt the wraith of Pratty & Brady after the game!

great to hear laidley praising the players efforts, sounds like it was a cracking game and they gave it their all. can't wait to watch it! (stupid work).

Jeezuz wept.
I did hear the "both doing it" comment on TV and it puzzled me.
I'm much happier now I know umps can just make any decisions they want, it all makes sense after all these years.

Yep

One of them being about Gibbo where Buddy was awarded a free.

This is what was caught on mic thanks to Zvim

It came down to the free kicks paid to Franklin where he initiated the wrestling and both were holding eachother, those were moronic free kicks and the umpire in question was picked up on the radio who had the umpire on the mic.

How the hell is that not cheating?

Shocking woeful decision.:thumbsdown:

Very happy to see Dean finally speaking up about this crap.

Jeezuz wept.
I did hear the "both doing it" comment on TV and it puzzled me.
I'm much happier now I know umps can just make any decisions they want, it all makes sense after all these years.

well at least we can feel better that the ump wil probably get a spell, we will get a formal apology and the hawks will get the 4 points. everyone's a winner.

Mathew Head is a prick. Boy did he cop a spray coming up the race.

I sure gave him a spray during most of the game. I think the whole roos wing did. Almost fell over on the afl photos guy too while screaming.

A few other random gems :

* 2nd 1/4, Petries goes for a mark, gets shoved in the middle of the back with both hands by his opponent ; ump has a clear view, calls play on
* 2nd 1/4, Hodge picks up the ball, runs into an opponent with his head down, the opponent doesn't tackle him............free for a high tackle
* 3rd 1/4, Hawthorn player is tackled, goes to ground, PUTS THE BALL ON THE GROUND........play on

And of course Lewis' goal at the end after shoving Firrito square in the back......every player in the area stopped, assuming it would be a free to North......play on. :rolleyes::confused::thumbsdown:

The commentators here were losing it over bad decisions and kept mentioning Matthew Head as the culprit. The one bloke said his middle name must be Richard :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laidley said luck played a big part in his side losing its second game of the season but maintained he had nothing but admiration for the way his team committed itself to the cause.

“When you get to games like this and - probably even early in the last quarter where you don’t get a bit of luck - and in the end that’s the scoreline.

"I said to them; 'when you get to games like this and you give it your best shot and what happens is what’s left over is a bit of luck'.

“And unfortunately we didn’t get it today and they probably got a bit of luck.
Hell that's ok then - I thought we were outplayed in the last qtr with half our list only having 2 or less possies.

Nice to hear that it was just bad luck.

The commentators here were losing it over bad decisions and kept mentioning Matthew Head as the culprit. The one bloke said his middle name must be Richard :D

The commentators had an eventful afternoon.

Luke Darcy twice referred to an "Anthony" Edwards that was playing for us, and referred to Leigh Brown as Leigh Harding.

The commentators had an eventful afternoon.

Luke Darcy twice referred to an "Anthony" Edwards that was playing for us, and referred to Leigh Brown as Leigh Harding.

It was real amateurish performance from Darcy. Apart from getting players' names wrong, he showed no insight at all on North, nominating Firrito I think as the man for Franklin, obviously unaware that Gibson stitched him up in last year's final and was likely to get him again.

Back to the umpires...
If they keep up this sort or tripe, this game will eventually lose me.

The game is going to the sh_t it really is.
And if I hear KB defend the rules and the rules committee much more I'll spew up!

It was real amateurish performance from Darcy. Apart from getting players' names wrong, he showed no insight at all on North, nominating Firrito I think as the man for Franklin, obviously unaware that Gibson stitched him up in last year's final and was likely to get him again.

Yeah, but the boy sure does look good on T.V.:rolleyes:

Back to the umpires...

And if I hear KB defend the rules and the rules committee much more I'll spew up!

I'd boycott footy now if my club wasn't in a precarious position.:thumbsu:

I'm gonna call it the way I see it & actually think that 2 umpires were pretty good today. It was the same umpire making al the mistakes... Number 16 Matthew Head.

Earlier in the game he was paying free kicks without signalling whose free it was... He was confusing the hell out of players from both teams.

If you go back & look at all of the 50-50's, you will find it was the same umpire over & over again

You will also find that it was this umpire who felt the wraith of Pratty & Brady after the game!
The ________ should be sacked.

Back to the umpires...

Yep, im not solely pissed of because it helped change the outcome of todays match, im more pissed because shit like this might go on to be the norm..

Everyone should bombard KB and ask him to explain himself. He really cant justify the current rule interpretations.

Matthew Head was also part of the great injustice against West Coast last season.
Good for him.

Didn't we create a thread that went on for like 20+ pages?

Remove this Banner Ad

Laidley re umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back