Laidley re umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Head was also part of the great injustice against West Coast last season.
Good for him.

You may be right Scotty... I'd totally forgotten about that.

How the hell is that not cheating?

Shocking woeful decision.:thumbsdown:

Very happy to see Dean finally speaking up about this crap.

He's blown his load at an inopportune time though. We'll get the make good next week when we don't need it. And in fairness we have to remember that the umpires cheated in our favour in the semi final against Hawthorn as a make good for the cheating against Geelong the week before. So any poor decisions today would have been enforced by the AFL muppets as a payback for Hawthorn. I just wish they'd let us know whose going to win before the game so we can save ourselves some unnecessary anxiety.

What happened to WC? I was o/s nearlly all season. Somebody fill me in briefly?

They were traumatised by Freo's "dirty" tactics in the derby the previous week and demanded a meeting with the umpires bosses.
The umpires involved in the derby were dropped at the last minute and the umpires, as a group, shown a video of the derby with a strong emphasis on how they had dudded West Coast.
Predictably, the outcome was an armchair run, with reversals, soft kicks in front of goal, etc, that all went one way in a close game.
Matthew Head and Matthew James led the great farce.
It was a complete joke.

I am with you - It is just not proper footy any more

Any player who runs into another player and falls over holding his head wins a free kick. It's ridiculous

And then there are plenty of occasions where it looks like the umpires are taking sides based on who they believe the better team is (ie. who "deserves" the free more)

I am at the point where I am enjoying Melbourne Storm matches more because it is still a proper contact sport and it's just as fast now. The storm v broncs game on Friday was awesome

They were traumatised by Freo's "dirty" tactics in the derby the previous week and demanded a meeting with the umpires bosses.
The umpires involved in the derby were dropped at the last minute and the umpires, as a group, shown a video of the derby with a strong emphasis on how they had dudded West Coast.
Predictably, the outcome was an armchair run, with reversals, soft kicks in front of goal, etc, that all went one way in a close game.
Matthew Head and Matthew James led the great farce.
It was a complete joke.

Too bad you were part of the minority which thought:

a) the umpiring was acceptable in that derby;

b) the umpiring was bad in the game against North.

Bitter tears. North weren't good enough in the game against West Coast. The umpires didn't cause Hamish McIntosh to miss a goal 15 metres out directly in front when the game was in the balance in the last quarter, amongst other things.

Bitter tears. North weren't good enough in the game against West Coast. The umpires didn't cause Hamish McIntosh to miss a goal 15 metres out directly in front when the game was in the balance in the last quarter, amongst other things.

Making a lot of assumptions there chump.
Where in that post did I say I thought the derby umpiring was unfair? I just said that West Coast were unhappy (after that nasty Josh Carr tormented Juddy and Cuzzy and co).
Did I say in that post it cost us the game? No. I said it was a poor umpiring display that was a blatant reaction to what happened during the week, people within the umpiring fraternity privately conceded that.
Now run along you sad excuse for a human.
Have you not got better things to do than troll the net looking for people to argue with?
Actually, I think I know the answer...

PS - Riddle me this. You are the first to take shots at people for bagging umpires, but you were complaining about them in the matchday thread as the Toasters lost to the Dorkers yesterday. At least be consistent...

Shall we revisit the semi last year? It all evens itself out. You'll probably get your fair share next time we play.

But doesn't it annoy you that they are actually being instructed to even things up. We got on the tail end of a West Coast gift after the Freo massacre last year and never before have I seen such a blatant act of cheating come from AFL House. Well, outside the instructions to the tribunal that Adam Goodes is never to be suspended despite his repeat offences. It's true we got the rub of the green in the semi final, and that came after some stinkers the week before against Geelong, who really didn't need the help. I think the umpires choked yesterday under the pressure and whistled free kicks even before their brains had had time to decide what they were for. The Franklin stuff up in the last quarter would have been hysterical if it wasn't so critical to the result.

What? You are arguing on the basis that North has less fans than West Coast that the minority thought the umpiring was bad? Well why don't we just throw all decisions open to the crowd roar. Ridiculous post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd boycott footy now if my club wasn't in a precarious position.:thumbsu:

have to agree mate i feel for thomas at the moment at least 4 perfect tackles not paid, it can easily turn players to leave the game.

we have a lot of new supporters back watching the game and will turn away because of the stupidity of the umpires. why dont we have video tribunal for them seeing the ump actually tell gibbo there was no real free kick is just team favoritism.

dont back down on this one jyd

He's blown his load at an inopportune time though. We'll get the make good next week when we don't need it. And in fairness we have to remember that the umpires cheated in our favour in the semi final against Hawthorn as a make good for the cheating against Geelong the week before. So any poor decisions today would have been enforced by the AFL muppets as a payback for Hawthorn. I just wish they'd let us know whose going to win before the game so we can save ourselves some unnecessary anxiety.
That is fairly spot on. It's getting more obvious now with the Ump's payroll linked to "we make it up to that team another way so they all shut up" or "even it out when it's 50/50" Most supporters are quiet when it favour's their side. Unfortunately for us we have upset the umpires employer more than say, Melbourne.

Shall we revisit the semi last year? It all evens itself out. You'll probably get your fair share next time we play.

whatever but its not the way ALL footy fans want umpiring to go, my main complaints with the umpiring were to do with rewarding the skills we love to see in the game, clean run down tackles not getting rewarded, as for one buddy franklin and gibbo contest free was ridiculous, as i realised from side on chopping arms is confusing when you look at it from side on. who does it first:confused:

What? You are arguing on the basis that North has less fans than West Coast that the minority thought the umpiring was bad? Well why don't we just throw all decisions open to the crowd roar. Ridiculous post.

We should have buzzers on seats, just buzz in for the decision you want! Majority rules!:D
Would help boost crowds and membership, everyone wins!:D

I'm glad Laidley decided to speak up and give that failure Geischen, the cold shoulder as well.
Anybody who thinks that umpires don't have an effect on the outcome has their head up their arse. The decision against Gibbo in the last that allowed the Hawthorn Goal Attack to kick a momentum changing goal was an absolute joke.

Congrats on one of the most ridiculous posts of recent memory.

Now feck orf.

donald macdonald and the giesh went through the game last night apparently to find the incidents, appently there was nothing found.

until jyd is allowed to talk without fear of repisal from the umpires board re: fines$$ we will not know the truth.

a coach should be able to represent his players as a boss can represent his employees.

Dean knows what Geischen will say:

"We have reviewed the weekends games and we have concluded that there are no matters to act upon.":rolleyes:

Meanwhile, football fans in their millions are preparing to burn down AFL house.
shiningjk8.jpg

"We have reviewed the weekends games and we have concluded that there are no matters to act upon.":rolleyes:

Meanwhile, football fans in their millions are preparing to burn down AFL house.

Gieschen: "We have concluded our review of the weekend's games and our stats show we got 315 of 350 decisions correct. That is a 90 per cent and more than acceptable. We are happy with our weekend's work."

More seriously, it seems to me Laidley is complaining about what was said by the umpires, and their behaviour, during the game rather than actual decisions.
They annoy me as much an anyone, but there will always be bad decisions.
However, it seems there was a bit more going on yesterday and if Head said what he appeared to in the Gibson incident, then Laidley is right to seek an explanation.

We used to have joke at the expense of our teachers at TAFE, "Those that can't do, teach."

Seems pretty apt for Our Man Jeff, IMO.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Laidley re umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back