Laser Tops Of Goal Posts

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are talking about the thing on TFS last night, they weren't actually going to put lasers on top of the goal posts, but use a fixed camera system like the hawkeye in cricket to determine exactly where the ball is at any time. I'd guess that they'd use a couple of cameras to triangulate the position. How it would work with an oval ball that changes appearance as it spins might be a bit more difficult than a cricket or tennis ball though.

They reckon that they've already used it in rugby though.

And I'm sure than until the AFL is convinced that it works it will just be for TV, not the umps (like the lbw decisions in cricket, Hawkeye is not used by the 3rd ump... yet!).

If it does work I think that it would be worthwhile... remove some of the doubt over decisions like the Milne/Lovett-Murray ones in recent weeks, if you trust it at least.

I think helicopters may be a better alternative but the wind from the rotors may push the ball around and make shooting for goal difficult. How about those rocket packs like James Bond wore at the start of Diamonds are Forever (I think that was the one?)?

Originally posted by Tim the Toolman
I think helicopters may be a better alternative but the wind from the rotors may push the ball around and make shooting for goal difficult. How about those rocket packs like James Bond wore at the start of Diamonds are Forever (I think that was the one?)?
The hovercars can be fitted with directional baffles. Mind you it could apply some heat to the fleas in Joffas hair.

the extra camers are behind the goal and at either side, they are there to help and can be veiw by a 3rd umpire like person during the comercial breks after goals, cant remember if eddie said it can be brought back and dissalow the goal though.

Hawkeye will only be used the way it is in the cricket - made a big deal of when it agrees with the commentators view, and not shown at all when it doesn't!

Remove this Banner Ad

Laser Tops Of Goal Posts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back