LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

also just wondering if anybody knows the name of this meal?

it's mince meat, egg and sausage made into a giant burger patty and then wrapped in bacon? looks delicious but can't find it now.

This?
1604978_1414074722172265_1346506897_n.jpg

Of course have , since my son started to listen to me he's won two Brownlows!

I think just quietly Jnr is on something else aswell as the Paleo diet but thats another story for another time.
I actually bumped into him at Xmas time in the deli section of Woolworths, I gotta photo with him n my daughter, he has an extraordinary large head, HGH will do that to ya!
The suspense is killing me!!!

I havent got around to checking this out yet, but it has had bad (blog and facebook) press everywhere. Jimmy Moore gave them a serve

One twin gave up sugar, the other gave up fat. Their experiment could change YOUR life: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ve-fat-Their-experiment-change-YOUR-life.html

Oh, so they did these diets for just one month and expect the results they saw to prove something? Puh-leez! I can understand a diet comprised of less than 2% fat being described as "miserable." But a well-formulated low-carb diet that is sustainable is one that is high in fat. I would be willing to bet the low-carb twin didn't eat nearly enough fat to make this work the way it should.

Also, this column doesn't address whether the low-carb dieting twin actually entered into a state of ketosis or not. This is CRITICAL! Unless you are burning fat for fuel by limiting carbohydrates and moderating your protein intake while eating ample amounts of fat, especially saturated fat, you can actually fail on a low-carb diet. Did he test his blood ketones? I bet he didn't.

This business about feeling "thick-headed" from the ketones--SAY WHAT?! Ketones are PERFECT for brain health as Dr. Nanette Yount shared in this "Ask The Low-Carb Experts" podcast: http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/2013/07/42-dr-nanette-yount-ketones-brain-health

I'm sorry, but this column was only about one thing--making a splash in the media! And these doctor twins did just that. Considering I received this link from about 100 people (at least!), it seems they accomplished their mission in getting people to see it. But it doesn't prove anything.

We're addressing this kind of nonsense and why ketones DO matter in KETO CLARITY: http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Clarity-...eative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=livilavidalow-20

When I return from writing my book, maybe I'll try to get these guys on "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show." It almost sounds like they went into this with an agenda to try to disprove low-carb ketogenic diets. Good luck with that!

Jimmy Moore gave them a serve
Even keto advocates note that some people react differently to ketosis than others, hence people react differently to the "sweet spot". What did he seriously expect from a non-lab condition article? It's what a lot of people would experience in a similar situation.

On a similar note - does anyone have any information on the effects of fat post-workout?

There are a myriad of studies relating to carbs and to protein; I am currently experimenting with putting butter in my post-workout shakes to try and add a couple of extra kilos, certainly makes it creamier (and tastier) and I am finding it easier to keep weight on.

Some protein studies note protein does absorb more effectively with some fat added, but they are still side-notes to the fat issue.

Even keto advocates note that some people react differently to ketosis than others, hence people react differently to the "sweet spot". What did he seriously expect from a non-lab condition article? It's what a lot of people would experience in a similar situation.

Trouble is he never even got close to ketosis. low carb Alex is on the right. It takes most people at least 6 weeks to get to a base figure of 1.0
156951_10203186203118741_1387656808_n.jpg

And what did they expect when he was on close to a zero carb diet consuming no veggies? No wonder he was constipated, slow and tired. He also forgot (or had no idea) that the first 3 weeks water consumption and salt has to be dramatically increased. I agree with Jimmy Moore, it was a shocking article (wish i could watch the video) and they are just attention seeking.

One of the comments at the bottom of the page summed it up perfectly-

This information is so elementary that it scares me that they are doctors. Anyone with the slightest bit of nutritional knowledge, knows this.

On a similar note - does anyone have any information on the effects of fat post-workout?

There are a myriad of studies relating to carbs and to protein; I am currently experimenting with putting butter in my post-workout shakes to try and add a couple of extra kilos, certainly makes it creamier (and tastier) and I am finding it easier to keep weight on.

Some protein studies note protein does absorb more effectively with some fat added, but they are still side-notes to the fat issue.

Fat will effect the protein absorption rate but it can also enhance the bioavailability of the protein source.
Show me a natural source of protein that contains no fat?
Fat is surrounded by meat for a reason so fat free WPI isn't very natural then?
If your having, which you should, protein/amino acids pre &/or during training then there will be a pool of amino acids in your blood for your body to use post workout for muscle protein synthesis(MPS), hence no need for a fast acting protein, then if fat does slow down post w/o protein absorption it doesn't matter.
It's more an issue If you train fasted with no protein/amino acids prior or during training then you would want a fast acting protein with nothing slowing down its process to stimulate MPS as fast as you can.

MCT oil would be my choice in a post w/o shake, or raw eggs,,or both.

Do you know much about C7 Triheptanoin, synthetic mct. It was mentioned in the paper today as a trial for replacing ketone diet for epilepsy and other seizures

No I don't, why does c7 from MCT need to be synthesised , maybe they don't want the fat content.

Possibly more the case is so they can patent it whereas natural food can't be patented.

No I don't, why does c7 from MCT need to be synthesised , maybe they don't want the fat content.

Possibly more the case is so they can patent it whereas natural food can't be patented.
All i know from google is Triheptanoin is a triglyceride that is composed of three seven-carbon fatty acids, and MCTs are medium-chain (8 to 12 carbons) fatty acid esters of glycerol.

Thats all i know, but was interested as they will be using it similar to mct, and i was wondering (i cant find it anywhere) if it was available in any form to the public and if it has benefits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fat will effect the protein absorption rate but it can also enhance the bioavailability of the protein source.
Show me a natural source of protein that contains no fat?
Fat is surrounded by meat for a reason so fat free WPI isn't very natural then?
If your having, which you should, protein/amino acids pre &/or during training then there will be a pool of amino acids in your blood for your body to use post workout for muscle protein synthesis(MPS), hence no need for a fast acting protein, then if fat does slow down post w/o protein absorption it doesn't matter.
It's more an issue If you train fasted with no protein/amino acids prior or during training then you would want a fast acting protein with nothing slowing down its process to stimulate MPS as fast as you can.

MCT oil would be my choice in a post w/o shake, or raw eggs,,or both.
Cheers - yes WPI pre-workout, BCAAs during and the shake afterwards is fairly simple.
(I know it's against the bro-science consensus, but there are a few studies showing pre- & during work out nutrition as being more important than immediate PWO nutrition, and the 1 hr windows seems to be a complete myth).

Raw eggs?
Only ask as I though egg protein was far more bio-available when cooked.

Cheers - yes WPI pre-workout, BCAAs during and the shake afterwards is fairly simple.
(I know it's against the bro-science consensus, but there are a few studies showing pre- & during work out nutrition as being more important than immediate PWO nutrition, and the 1 hr windows seems to be a complete myth).

Raw eggs?
Only ask as I though egg protein was far more bio-available when cooked.

Yeah pre & during nutrition sets up n starts the process MPS , post w/o nutrition continuos MPS if done correctly.

The protein in the egg white is only 59% bio-available when eaten raw, now considering a large egg contains about 6g protein, 50% in the yolk n 50% in the white.
So losing around a gram of protein by consuming the egg raw is not really too concerning, raw yolks a very nutrient dense , over heating the yolk causes the fat/cholesterol to oxidise which is what you don't want hence boiled eggs are a no no.
Yolks should always be consumed runny whether cooked or raw.

Yeah pre & during nutrition sets up n starts the process MPS , post w/o nutrition continuos MPS if done correctly.

The protein in the egg white is only 59% bio-available when eaten raw, now considering a large egg contains about 6g protein, 50% in the yolk n 50% in the white.
So losing around a gram of protein by consuming the egg raw is not really too concerning, raw yolks a very nutrient dense , over heating the yolk causes the fat/cholesterol to oxidise which is what you don't want hence boiled eggs are a no no.
Yolks should always be consumed runny whether cooked or raw.
raw eggs, lol. Are you not familiar with salmonella?

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm077342.htm
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that 142,000 illnesses each year are caused by consuming eggs contaminated with Salmonella.

On the one hand you tell people not to eat anexcellent nutriant source in peanuts on the very very VERY rare chance they may eat aflotoxins but then advise people to eat eggs raw.

Sorry, but you do speak some utter nonsense at times dude.

Last edited:
raw eggs, lol. Are you not familiar with salmonella?

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm077342.htm

On the one hand you tell people not to eat anexcellent nutriant source in peanuts on the very very VERY rare chance they may eat aflotoxins but then advise people to eat eggs raw.

Sorry, but you do speak some utter nonsense at times dude.

Are those salmonella statistics from caged or free range / pasture fed eggs.
Big difference.

Then why haven't I suffered salmonella then?

Most of the bacteria issue stem from people eating rotten or contaminated eggs more so than them being raw.

Read this article from Yahoo for some clarity.

Salmonella Poisoning

Salmonella (a bacteria) can cause fever, diarrhea, cramps, and vomiting. A study done by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 2002 found that 0.0003% of all produced eggs are contaminated with salmonella.

An egg's shell is a protective barrier and prevents salmonella from entering. However, when salmonella is present on the egg's shell, it can contaminate the egg when it is cracked. It can also enter through microscopic cracks on the egg shell.

Salmonella is relatively benign in an individual with a strong immune system and has no health problems. Children, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with a compromised immune system (such as those with cancer or HIV) are at a higher risk of having complications from salmonella.

Although odds of contracting salmonella from raw eggs are fairly slim (only 1 out of 30,000 eggs are contaminated) and a healthy person can most likely avoid complications, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advises against eating raw eggs, lightly cooked eggs, and foods that contain raw or lightly cooked eggs such as egg nog, raw batter, cookie dough, homemade dressings and sauces, meringue, and mousse.

If you choose to eat raw eggs, it should be sparingly and the following safe measures are recommended:

buy cage-free and organically-certified eggs
wash eggs before cracking them
do not eat eggs with cracks
do not eat eggs with a foul odor
store your eggs in the coldest part of the refrigerator (the temperature should be 40 degrees fahrenheit or a bit below)
do not leave eggs out of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours.
Cooking eggs properly will kill salmonella.

Biotin Deficiency

Biotin is an essential B vitamin that is important in normal body function and aids in body growth. Egg yolks contain biotin; however, egg whites contain avidin, a protein that binds with biotin (from any food source) in the gastrointestinal tract and prevents it from being absorbed by the body. A deficiency is unlikely when eating raw eggs or foods with raw eggs occasionally. People who eat raw eggs in large amounts regularly are at risk.

Cooking eggs properly will deactivate avidin.

Raw and cooked eggs are extremely high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. Some people believe eating raw eggs are healthier because cooking reduces the nutritional value. There is no clinical evidence to support this. However, a study done in 1997, published in The Journal of Nutrition, showed the protein in cooked eggs were 40% more bio-available to the body than raw eggs. You would have to eat 7 raw eggs to absorb the same amount of protein from 5 cooked eggs.

Last edited:
i like Marks Daily apple, but that it is a pretty shit article.

Governments are aware of and test for aflatoxins - its not a risk factor in frst world countries and a shit reason not to eat a food. you also need acute exposure to it to develop liver problems. A handfull of peanuts every now and again is not a problem. It's like saying don't eat meat in Australia because of mad cow disease. btw aflatoxins can be found in many oils including Olive oil so you better tell people to swear off that as well if youre consistent.

fine, if you want to eat raw eggs, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
i like Marks Daily apple, but that it is a pretty shit article.

Governments are aware of and test for aflatoxins - its not a risk factor in frst world countries and a shit reason not to eat a food. you also need acute exposure to it to develop liver problems. A handfull of peanuts every now and again is not a problem. It's like saying don't eat meat in Australia because of mad cow disease. btw aflatoxins can be found in many oils including Olive oil so you better tell people to swear off that as well if youre consistent.

fine, if you want to eat raw eggs, knock yourself out.

Agree, a handful of nuts here n there ain't going to kill you, just like the odd raw egg, but there is a lot of other types of nuts to replace peanuts.
I used to love the occasional satay dish, now I use almond butter instead of peanut butter.

If I can replace minimal risk with no risk I will.
In some cases that's not possible so we have to settle with minimal risk.

A fresh healthy raw egg is the last of your concerns, I know numerous bodybuilders/power lifters that consume a dozen or two raw eggs a day & have done so for decades with out any issues.
Like all foods, eat poor quality & you run the risk of bacterias, contamination, carcinogens, oxidisation etc....

There is one inherent flaw in this whole concept as far as diabetes is concerned, and that is that fat turns into glucose in the body.
Actually fat turns into glycerol and 3 fatty acid molecules (ketones) and beta-hydroxybutyrate (technically not a true ketone) is the primary fuel that goes straight to the ATP, and the glycerol is turned into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis, which means "make new sugar" and your liver will always make sure your blood levels of glucose stay within a narrow range, no matter what. So what that does is keep blood glucose levels at the optimum level and thats why low carb/ketosis has an incredible strike rate at reversing type 2 and managing type 1 to optimum levels.

Actually fat turns into glycerol and 3 fatty acid molecules (ketones) and beta-hydroxybutyrate (technically not a true ketone) is the primary fuel that goes straight to the ATP, and the glycerol is turned into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis, which means "make new sugar" and your liver will always make sure your blood levels of glucose stay within a narrow range, no matter what. So what that does is keep blood glucose levels at the optimum level and thats why low carb/ketosis has an incredible strike rate at reversing type 2 and managing type 1 to optimum levels.

Hmm. Fair enough. All I know is that when I eat fat if I test my blood sugar after it is higher.

Hmm. Fair enough. All I know is that when I eat fat if I test my blood sugar after it is higher.
What else are you eating when you eat fat? because to be stable and keto adapted you need at minimum 70% fat intake, and do you have the ability to test for ketones at the same time? If you have your macros sorted you glucose will probably have a small natural increase but your ketones will sharply increase.

Remove this Banner Ad

LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back