News Lethers Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Cause he fixed the TPP. 95% was needed to be spent, he structured the contracts going forward to allow the money to be banked to the point we could almost land DeGoey.
And not all of them had list management experience at all, and I would bet not one would have the financial acumen Gallagher had.
It is hard to believe that people with no idea of his actual KRA's and what his job entailed from a financial and legal could critisise him. If he was as bad as everyone says he is out TPP would have been shot for years after he was gone, but this is not the case.
Do people think these things just automatically just happen?
And this is not even addressing his drafting and recruitment that was spoken about earlier which is being shown to be very good
Recruits
Jones
Howard
Butler
Hill
Crouch
Higgins

All still in the seniors

Drafted
Ronnie - seniors
Alison - miss
Naz, Windy, Owens - good selections
Pou, Van Es, Hotton, Keeler- tbd but look good

Mid season

Wood, Sharman, Heath.

So 13 from that list are regular seniors players, Wood has been outstanding, Sharman looks really good developing, and Heath has some tools.

Pou, Windy, Owens and Naz could be potential ten year players and potentially all Saints champions.

His tenure was fine, he made some mistakes, but overall did a good job.

But he gets shitcanned because he didn't reach the emolument standards of people who didn't even know the criteria for emolument was.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He will surely be missed , we have not had a true professional in charge of the club for years and he got us back in the ball game.
Disposing of Ratten and bringing in Lyon finished him - but Ratten had to be moved on, however bringing in Lyon and all his Cronies meant Lethers days were numbered - Lyon gets his way or he would not of took the job.

So he was in charge of drafting and talent identification as well ?

All the ones under drafting I would give Toce as well us Sharman

Toce got promoted under Gags BTW, sure he joined us in 2015 but Trout was gone 2 years later, so Toces ascenion was primary a Gags decision and thus a group decision under his purview. Was what, 2019 or so that he became national list manager under Gags.

You know how managers react to employees good deals yes? Group bonus ring bells?

Arguably, Lethers bringing in Gags by that narrative allowed Toce to shine and that dept to flourish.

He will surely be missed , we have not had a true professional in charge of the club for years and he got us back in the ball game.
Disposing of Ratten and bringing in Lyon finished him - but Ratten had to be moved on, however bringing in Lyon and all his Cronies meant Lethers days were numbered - Lyon gets his way or he would not of took the job.
Don't get me wrong. Couldn't care if Gallagher left. Just think the shitcanning from people is OTT in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. Couldn't care if Gallagher left. Just think the shitcanning from people is OTT in my opinion.

They have to realize , love him or hate him , he got us into a position to push towards a flag with a young talented squad which is a far cry from when he came to the club.

Cause he fixed the TPP. 95% was needed to be spent, he structured the contracts going forward to allow the money to be banked to the point we could almost land DeGoey.
And not all of them had list management experience at all, and I would bet not one would have the financial acumen Gallagher had.
It is hard to believe that people with no idea of his actual KRA's and what his job entailed from a financial and legal could critisise him. If he was as bad as everyone says he is out TPP would have been shot for years after he was gone, but this is not the case.
Do people think these things just automatically just happen?
And this is not even addressing his drafting and recruitment that was spoken about earlier which is being shown to be very good
Recruits
Jones
Howard
Butler
Hill
Crouch
Higgins

All still in the seniors

Drafted
Ronnie - seniors
Alison - miss
Naz, Windy, Owens - good selections
Pou, Van Es, Hotton, Keeler- tbd but look good

Mid season

Wood, Sharman, Heath.

So 13 from that list are regular seniors players, Wood has been outstanding, Sharman looks really good developing, and Heath has some tools.

Pou, Windy, Owens and Naz could be potential ten year players and potentially all Saints champions.

His tenure was fine, he made some mistakes, but overall did a good job.

But he gets shitcanned because he didn't reach the emolument standards of people who didn't even know the criteria for emolument was.

My point joff was the tpp had already been "fixed" prior to when he joined as we were already throwing big money around.

Go back to the trade threads prior to his start and you will see the "war chest" was already getting thrown around for players like Josh Kelly. Nat fyfe etc.

All made up. No fact there at all. It's all your skewed opinion and you are still going on about that bust Dunstan.
My God anything you post should be discounted on that alone.
As for the five recruits, they were to fill gaping holes in the list and Ross Lyon still has the four that have not retired still in his first 22. Why hasn't he replaced them all? You reckon they are Gops, why not get other gops to replace them.

You have never worked in a membership organisation or as a list manager and really are totally ignorant. You 'surmise' and you 'think' other did duties without having a clue.
Anyone who thinks Luke Dunstsn was going to take us anywhere should have absolutely no opinion on list management, let alone the financial or contractual side of the job.
Gallagher is gone and SOS looks good so I don't care, but the constant shitcanning of a blokes job that you have never done and you things up about to suit your position is frankly embarrassing for you.

Sos is hardly ideal but he’s had experience and works well with the coach so he’s got that. Your histrionic response hasn't done anything to prove your fantasy correct. Dunstan is the first time I've seen a player so disgruntled that he asked to never come back to the club. It's extraordinary in modern footy.

You were an accountant for a super fund who cheerleads every petty administrator that steps in the door. Mowman, St C and I have been asking for a pro set up for ages, we finally get one and a few of you are pining for the days of mates of mates who come and concrete your drive-way for cash in hand and a slab.

Toce got promoted under Gags BTW, sure he joined us in 2015 but Trout was gone 2 years later, so Toces ascenion was primary a Gags decision and thus a group decision under his purview. Was what, 2019 or so that he became national list manager under Gags.

You know how managers react to employees good deals yes? Group bonus ring bells?

Arguably, Lethers bringing in Gags by that narrative allowed Toce to shine and that dept to flourish.

That would be a board and footy department decision not his personal choice but he was promoted while he was there.

The St Kilda Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of James Gallagher to the role of Head of List Management.

Gallagher, a former Adelaide Crows and SANFL premiership player, joins the Saints from Macquarie Bank where he most recently performed the role of Victorian Head of Professional Services Banking.

He played 38 AFL games for the Crows between 2001-2004, before going on to play 228 games for Norwood in the SANFL.

The now 38-year-old captained Norwood from 2007 to 2011 and was part of the club’s 2012 premiership side, before assuming assistant coaching roles with the Redlegs, and then De LaSalle Old Collegians Football Club in the VAFA.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Gallagher had a unique combination of skills that would be an asset to the St Kilda Football Club.

“James was the standout candidate in a quality field of applicants,” Lethlean said.

“He has enjoyed a long and distinguished professional football and coaching career and understands the demands on players and the attributes required to play at the top level.

“Importantly, he also possesses a range of skills and disciplines that we were looking for which he has derived from his career in banking.

“Through his various roles with Macquarie and Westpac, he has built a strong level of experience in analysing and interpreting data, strategic planning, negotiating outcomes, and building trusting relationships.

“He is a high-quality person who will help improve and innovate our processes, integrate with all areas of the football program and work hard with our recruiting team and our current list towards achieving the ultimate success that the Club is striving for.

“James will join the Saints on a full-time basis within the next four weeks and work with myself and Tony Elshaug as he transitions out of the role to improve our list through the trade, free agency and draft periods.”

The St Kilda Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of James Gallagher to the role of Head of List Management.

Gallagher, a former Adelaide Crows and SANFL premiership player, joins the Saints from Macquarie Bank where he most recently performed the role of Victorian Head of Professional Services Banking.

He played 38 AFL games for the Crows between 2001-2004, before going on to play 228 games for Norwood in the SANFL.

The now 38-year-old captained Norwood from 2007 to 2011 and was part of the club’s 2012 premiership side, before assuming assistant coaching roles with the Redlegs, and then De LaSalle Old Collegians Football Club in the VAFA.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Gallagher had a unique combination of skills that would be an asset to the St Kilda Football Club.

“James was the standout candidate in a quality field of applicants,” Lethlean said.

“He has enjoyed a long and distinguished professional football and coaching career and understands the demands on players and the attributes required to play at the top level.

“Importantly, he also possesses a range of skills and disciplines that we were looking for which he has derived from his career in banking.

“Through his various roles with Macquarie and Westpac, he has built a strong level of experience in analysing and interpreting data, strategic planning, negotiating outcomes, and building trusting relationships.

“He is a high-quality person who will help improve and innovate our processes, integrate with all areas of the football program and work hard with our recruiting team and our current list towards achieving the ultimate success that the Club is striving for.

“James will join the Saints on a full-time basis within the next four weeks and work with myself and Tony Elshaug as he transitions out of the role to improve our list through the trade, free agency and draft periods.”
Lol Said Ratts was our man for next few years sacked 3 months later

For all those people who said Gags was the solely the list manager and had nothing to do with the trades ... the last line spells it out plain and simple that he is replacing Tony Elshaug

Qhb5uXz.jpeg

For all those people who said Gags was the solely the list manager and had nothing to do with the trades ... the last line spells it out plain and simple that he is replacing Tony Elshaug

We'd moved Trout because he wasn't allowed near the draft by that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they either come up through recruiting or player management. gags didnt do either, which is what made it really weird.

the clear majority work their way through recruiting and get promoted. you get the odd one or two jumping straight out of player management. or you get the traineeship type arrangement when the long term list boss is training up his replacement.

GWS -> can't find
Adrian Caruso was a data guy out of Champion Data then Bulldogs then Fox Footy. He's GWS's long-term recruiting manager but his role also has some list mgmt, reporting to Football GM Jason McCartney

That would be a board and footy department decision not his personal choice but he was promoted while he was there.

The point you missed was Toce doesn't get promoted under the fish, as the fish was out of water and a bit dead 2 years after his joining the team as you then later stated.

Both are holistic club decisions, the turfing of Trout from the Sexton stink and the ascension of Gags by Lethers, it was simply in the latter that there was you know, growth. You're more than likely to take the recommendation of the "I trust this list guy" in Gags v "get that man outta that room" in Trout is all on a board level.

That says it all LOL

Lol Said Ratts was our man for next few years sacked 3 months later
To be fair Bassat also said the same thing, he also sent me an email which said we'd be in premiership contention in 2022. If ever there was a prez that was winging it. Was clueless about what was happening outside the board room.

We'd moved Trout because he wasn't allowed near the draft by that stage.
from what i was told... overpaid the guys we had and offered unders for players we were trying to get into the club. sounds like trout sucked in a list manager capacity. his drafting was meh too.

Adrian Caruso was a data guy out of Champion Data then Bulldogs then Fox Footy. He's GWS's long-term recruiting manager but his role also has some list mgmt, reporting to Football GM Jason McCartney

there you go! thanks heaps mate.

so everyone of these guys have had experience in football prior to getting the gig. they didnt walk of the floor from another industry and get a job as the head dude at an AFL club.

Anyone know what Trout is up to these days?

Funny not funny, he was at the Dons after he left us and we all know how Dodo is over there so his nose got a bit brown. I think he might still be there.

Funny not funny, he was at the Dons after he left us and we all know how Dodo is over there so his nose got a bit brown. I think he might still be there.

His Linkedin has him at Essendon until the end of 2022.

Here's some more context about the recruting roles at the Saints when he left.
I read it as Gallagher in charge contracts, salary cap , etc. The forgotten Liberatore as talent spotting.
Liberatore had started with the Saints as a talent scout in 2009, and had worked his way up until 2022.

He was W.A. recruiting manager from 2012-2013. Roberton? Tom Lee? Acres.

St Kilda revamped their recruiting structure last year, bringing in a new list manager in James Gallagher, who in effect replaced Elshaug but in a role that placed greater store in contracting and list strategy. Chris Liberatore is national recruiting manager for the Saints.

To be fair Bassat also said the same thing, he also sent me an email which said we'd be in premiership contention in 2022. If ever there was a prez that was winging it. Was clueless about what was happening outside the board room.

What else did you expect them to say after re-contracting someone?

To Bassat’s eternal credit, when the season went to shit in the back half of 2022 he didn’t sit on his hands & say ‘oh well, we just gave the bloke a new deal, we need to stick with him now’.

The decision to make them all look like fools took some serious balls.

Winging it? Bullshit. He did the exact opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Bassat’s eternal credit, when the season went to s**t in the back half of 2022 he didn’t sit on his hands & say ‘oh well, we just gave the bloke a new deal, we need to stick with him now’.

On the money!

Emotionally a very difficult & horrible call - Ratts was a terrific bloke.

From a football perspective absolutely the right call - we now have a driven, ruthless, professional coach who has assembled a support team that will leave no stone unturned to give the Club every chance of tasting the ultimate success. No guarantee as it’s a tough competition, and you need some luck, but he won’t die wondering and we supporters are in for a very interesting ride!

Plus, talk to your non Saints mates - we have got some respect back!

To Bassat’s eternal credit, when the season went to s**t in the back half of 2022 he didn’t sit on his hands & say ‘oh well, we just gave the bloke a new deal, we need to stick with him now’.

Too much evidence exits that points to him being asleep at the wheel in his first 4 years.

Agree he was reactive at the 4 year mark.

What we can hope now is that he's giving the job more of his time and can be in it for the long haul and that history proves his and Lyon's partnership was hugely successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back