Remove this Banner Ad

Jessbek

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
End of this DT season, I wanted to start a discussion on the players you are already considering for next season. Whether it be for potential, value or whatever.

I'll start off with three in:

Suckling
Ellis
Griffen

I will also be selecting Wingard and maybe bennell if they both receive DPP. Nicoski is another whom I shall be watching.

I think this year will be big on potential premiums who are underpriced for one reason or another. I'm expecting all of the following players to improve on their already strong averages and push up towards top 10 in their position.

Birchall, Michael Johnson, Ellis, Dempsey
Cotchin, Watson
Naitanui, Kreuzer if Warnock gets traded, Ryder/Bellchambers if either one of them gets traded.
Franklin, Dale Thomas, Gray

As I've said in a few other threads, Brad Ebert is a unique I've got my eye on. Has all the potential to be next year's Michael Barlow.

I will also be selecting Wingard and maybe bennell if they both receive DPP. Nicoski is another whom I shall be watching.

You realise he's retired, right? Wouldn't be the best pick I've ever seen :p

I wouldn't touch Wingard either. For some baffling reason, he still hasn't received a lot of attention from taggers this year. I expect that to change next year.

Ellis probably will (and should) lose his DPP next year. Hasn't played in the back line all year.

Will be locking in Naitanui if he can finally have a preseason.

Griffen is almost getting to must have status. Smashes it even with a tag now. Will be looking at Masten and Ebert as well.

Birchall will be tempting next year with Suckling back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mids..

Michael Barlow.​
Ryan Griffen.​
Dane Swan.​
Scott Pendlebury.​
Chris Masten.​
Jack Steven.​
Others..

Dustin Martin.​
Brandon Ellis.​
Grant Birchall.​
Jack Martin (bench).​
Just a few I'm going to keep my eye on throughout pre-season.
Had enough of key position players.. They end up screwing me over every year.

Simpson, McVeigh, Mitchell, Bartel will be very hard to overlook in defence if given DPP. I really like having players who are durable and rarely miss, so these guys fit that really well.
Claye Beams was ready for a breakout year this year before his ACL. Will probably get a full pre-season and should entrench himself in our best 22. Likely to be a massive bargain.
Leuenberger and Natanui, if they are fit and healthy come round 1 2014, will be my starting rucks.

Masten is a lock for me at this stage. He'll be priced at an average of 100 when it should be around 105 because of an early subbing due to injury when he was on 22. He's also only scored below 90 twice (77 and 76) and has scored 100+ on 11 out of 17 occasions - ultra consistent.

Lobbe is also firmly on my radar.

Masten is a lock for me at this stage. He'll be priced at an average of 100 when it should be around 105 because of an early subbing due to injury when he was on 22. He's also only scored below 90 twice (77 and 76) and has scored 100+ on 11 out of 17 occasions - ultra consistent.

Lobbe is also firmly on my radar.

He shouldn't be, unless Jarrad Redden cops another season ending injury before Round 1. Although if that does happen, then all aboard the Lobbe train.

I'm always wary of guys like Masten, although he was a fantastic pick up in my draft league. Beware the player coming off of a breakout year. I reckon Masten will start getting tagged next year too, and it remains to be seen whether he can deal with that consistently.

I'm always wary of guys like Masten, although he was a fantastic pick up in my draft league. Beware the player coming off of a breakout year. I reckon Masten will start getting tagged next year too, and it remains to be seen whether he can deal with that consistently.
Fair point, but he handled the Crowley tag better than any other player has this season (26 touches). I've mentioned before that I believe he is similar to Swan, Beams, etc. in that regard - he's not the kind of player who can be easily tagged out of a game. He has a massive tank and knows where to find the ball in and around the packs, he also breaks fast and gets a lot of +6's as he spreads.

It's been a bit of an up and down few weeks since I traded him in this season. The first match I had him he was subbed off injured in the second term with 22 points. Ended up being ruled out of the next match so I traded him out accordingly. Then he made an early recovery, so I traded him back in as he notched up 120 v Essendon. The next week he was a late out and cost me all my finals bar one because I had no midfield bench cover (stupid of me). And now this week he scored 111. So I'm expecting him to be either subbed off with injury or a late out this week.

Assuming positional changes occur

Backs (Best 4/5 of these)

McVeigh
Simpson
Mitchell (Hopefully he is a b/m)
Walker
Ellis (Will probably be just a mid though)
D.Swallow (If he's a back he is almost a lock, its a big if though)
Suckling

Mids
Swan
Murphy
Liberatore
Greene

Rucks
Any cheap ruck that looks like being their teams 1st choice ruck man

Forwards
Rohan

If the Masten, Naitanui and the rest of the WC midfield can have a decent preseason with limited injuries then I will probably select Masten. His breakout year was really last year so not too worried of a drop off.

Shuey is the obvious tag target and for good reason. at this stage he is one of the few players we have that can really burst away from a contest. Then Gaff because he is quite easily tagged out of the game. I think Masten will get tagged every now and again but he should avoid it for most of the season.

The team loves to get the ball in Mastens hands which always helps and he is a very good runner that finds space but can also go inside and should be fairly unique. He ticks a lot of boxes for mine. I'm very annoyed that I dumped him after round 1 this year just because he didn't score well and I had $$ to spend and 2 trades to use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets Talk About 2014: Locked Players for You

Remove this Banner Ad

Back