Analysis Let's talk about the board!

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think we should talk about our board of directors. These seven individuals make crucial decisions about the club we love and I just don't think supporters talk about them enough.

John Witheriff - Chairman
Dr Alan Mackenzie
Bob Gordon
Bob East
Paul Scurrah
Janelle Manders
Tony Cochrane

Now we all saw Witheriff's confusing press conference he held when Bluey got the sack but does it worry anyone that Alan Mackenzie is the only board member with a sporting background? I know it's important to have a range of different characters on a board but these people are making the decisions that heavily impact whether we succeed as a club. I'd just hate to see us in a similar position to Brisbane a few years ago when their board of directors had no clue and Leigh Matthews had to come in to clean it all up because he actually knows a thing or two about football.

Electing to stick with Bluey in 2012 was probably the wrong decision retrospectively when we had Ken Hinkley waiting in the wings. Sacking Bluey when you tell him his one KPI was to reach 10 wins and he meets that KPI? Let's talk about this!

Janelle Manders was on radio about a month ago and sounded very impressive , was restrained going to indepth in what she knows and can say about the Suns , but has a good business background . Those board members we have have a lot of say on what goes on at the Coast in the business sector but the OP is right not alot barr Alan McKenzie has AFL background.

Whats peoples thoughts on Tony Cochrane becoming new chairman ? very good promoter which could lead us doing a few things different in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume pushed due to his sheer incompetence.

Hopefully the dawn of a new a era - now a professionally run club (thanks Rocket), with a chairman who has a clean slate and should have learned from the mistakes of his predecessor.

Love the idea of Cochrane taking the reins .. He knows how to promote and knows how to make money

Don't know anything about Cochrane but...

Cochrane makes his bones selling and promoting entertainment experiences to everyday people - sounds like a skill set translatable to football

Witheriff makes his bones charging wealthy people by the hour for interpreting complex legal issues - not so translatable to footy

Cochrane can only be an improvement on Witheriff, especially if he actually knows something about footy

He got us a team

Do you want me to get the transcript out of the McKenna announcement ... We got a team because the AFL needed an extra 2 teams for TV $$$ and not because of Witheriff's powers of persuasion

Don't know anything about Cochrane but...
Perhaps this might get you excited about Cochrane's appointment:
  • Tony Cochrane once spent a week sleeping on Frank Sinatra's office floor before convincing him to break a self imposed exile and return to Australia. The 'Ultimate Event' at Sanctuary Cove (on the Gold Coast) was put together by Cochrane and was headlined by Sinatra and Whitney Houston in 1988.
  • Cochrane's company purchased the V8 Supercars in 1996 for $52,000 and turned it into a $330 million business by 2012. He served as the executive chairman for many years.

• Tony Cochrane once spent a week sleeping on Frank Sinatra's office floor before convincing him to break a self imposed exile and return to Australia. The 'Ultimate Event' at Sanctuary Cove (on the Gold Coast) was put together by Cochrane and was headlined by Sinatra and Whitney Houston in 1988.
  • Cochrane's company purchased the V8 Supercars in 1996 for $52,000 and turned it into a $330 million business by 2012. He served as the executive chairman for many years.
So basically we have a ******* superstar on our hands

You had me at Witheriff resigns

So your telling me we've gone from the worst chairman in the AFL to potentially the best chairman, fair upgrade.

So basically we have a ******* superstar on our hands
So your telling me we've gone from the worst chairman in the AFL to potentially the best chairman, fair upgrade.
A nice little Gold Coast Bulletin interview with Cochrane last year can be found here. You can tell he genuinely wants to help the Gold Coast progress. He is obviously a big believer in event strategies and the impact an event can have on a city so I don't think it'll be long before he's lining up the concerts at Metricon. He was in charge of promoting the Rolling Stones Australian tour last year after all.

not to burst anyone's bubble, but i know a couple people who worked in the v8 industry, didn't have anything nice to say about him at all.

regardless, he certainly turned the v8's into a mega success!

not to burst anyone's bubble, but i know a couple people who worked in the v8 industry, didn't have anything nice to say about him at all.

Proves you don't need to be universally liked to be effective.. I reckon he'll get things happening at the Suns.

I'm sure there's more than a couple who had their toes stepped on. But I believe you need a certain amount of arrogance, self confidence etc. to succeed, and sometimes unfortunately that gets some of us "lesser lights" offside. There's a few sportsmen I've encountered who fall into that category, but I'll take that everyday of the week if it means our Club can attain success. Cochrane has my vote.

“We’ve moved on a couple of players who we thought were part of the problem rather than part of the solution and we’re very focused on making sure the environment is right,” Cochrane said.

I like this man already. I think only good things will come when he takes over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back