No Oppo Supporters Lewis traded to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

"In 1986, Gary Buckenara, under contract to Hawthorn, wanted to join the newly formed West Coast Eagles, and sued the Hawks for restraint of trade. In 1988, Judge Crockett ruled that his Hawthorn contract was binding. "A court will be very slow to find a provision to be a restraint during the period of service required by the contract to be rendered," he said. Resigned, Buckenara played in Hawthorn premierships that year and the next."

not sure if link still works ....

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...n/2008/07/29/1217097241991.html?page=fullpage

The cap space might be needed for current players who are considering their options. Racking up votes for the PCM, Brownlow, and contested possessions seemingly doesn't count for much these days.
there may be more to story but we gotta take sam mitchall quote he was happy to do one for the team. I am just pissed we didnt get a send of. at the end of day we have missed out on 1or 2 seasons max from mitch n lewie.
contestested possies we were getting smashed all yr and on the spread tom mitchalll and even o'mears in his 2nd afl season ave more than both these guys

If we are getting nothing in return and cap space isn't an issue now, we may as well hold onto him for next year, and let him leave as a free agent next year. Would still probably get a better compo pick, 3rd round, then the supposed 'late round pick' that Melbourne are offering.

Either way I don't really care. If he's cracked the sads and wants to leave, then let him. Not getting into the rights or wrongs of why he has cracked it, as I don't care. I'm only aboout the Hawthorn Footy Club, so if they get something more decent than late round pick, send him. Otherwise keep him, and even if he doesn't play next season, I reckon we'd possibly get a compo pick if he goes elsewhere.

If we are getting nothing in return and cap space isn't an issue now, we may as well hold onto him for next year, and let him leave as a free agent next year. Would still probably get a better compo pick, 3rd round, then the supposed 'late round pick' that Melbourne are offering.

Either way I don't really care. If he's cracked the sads and wants to leave, then let him. Not getting into the rights or wrongs of why he has cracked it, as I don't care. I'm only aboout the Hawthorn Footy Club, so if they get something more decent than late round pick, send him. Otherwise keep him, and even if he doesn't play next season, I reckon we'd possibly get a compo pick if he goes elsewhere.

The one thing is if they have a target next year and can pay 95% this year they can go over next year. If they think Lewis would be gone anyway next year might as well do it now. Get some game time into the others

This is about right to me. if he is mentally checked out, let him go. You can't please all the people all of the time. When you HAVE to make changes, and we HAVE to make changes, not everyone will be able to be satisfied. Regardless of who they are, the club is bigger than the individual.

I would have thought that this is a bit like a Golden Handshake from the club to their decorated 4 time Premiership veterans. It is like we are saying to them - "we know you have been taking unders for the glory of success. Now you have it, go and make some coin with our blessing whilst you are still capable."

I see it in business all the time, and whilst loyalty and team success is enormous (and Sam and Jordan have it in spades), there is a time for fiscal reward and to be recompensed commensurate to said abilities.

Excellent post. I reckon this is precisely what's happening.

Is there someway the hawks could throw in pick 10 as well to sweeten it a bit for them?
The way this trade period's gone it wouldn't surprise me!

Trading our B&F top 2, who play in the area of the ground we are weakest in, for steak knives. Even Goebbels couldn't put enough spin on that to make me feel OK about it.

The way this trade period's gone it wouldn't surprise me!

Trading our B&F top 2, who play in the area of the ground we are weakest in, for steak knives. Even Goebbels couldn't put enough spin on that to make me feel OK about it.

Or Shepilov?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason Mitchell trade took time (well only 2 days from when the story broke) was because I am sure it had more to do with $$'s paid to Mitchell from WC and we have since learnt that Hawks are topping up his contract.

If Lewis is shitty about taking unders in his contract at Hawthorn then it makes absolutely no sense that he would be taking a contract at Melbourne for less than his contract at Hawthorn. Therefore really the only conclusion I can draw from the deal not getting done today is that the Hawks are willing to play a little bit more hard ball on the compensation received for him.

The reason Mitchell trade took time (well only 2 days from when the story broke) was because I am sure it had more to do with $$'s paid to Mitchell from WC and we have since learnt that Hawks are topping up his contract.

If Lewis is shitty about taking unders in his contract at Hawthorn then it makes absolutely no sense that he would be taking a contract at Melbourne for less than his contract at Hawthorn. Therefore really the only conclusion I can draw from the deal not getting done today is that the Hawks are willing to play a little bit more hard ball on the compensation received for him.
Yep, we literally paid another club to take our second best ever player off our hands for pick 88. Like I said, impossible to spin and more farcical than anything our club's biggest haters could've dreamed up themselves.

Do Melbourne have a R2 pick next year they could trade us?

If Melbourne needs a second round pick for Lewis and they have already tied up their current one then they will need to work a deal with a third party to get one in. It's easy to imagine that the meeting this afternoon is not to conclude proceedings on Lewis but to enlist our help in a three-way trade (or something to get what we need for Lewis).

I hadn't thought of Dawes. Allegedly Melbourne are ready to send him to the twos. A second round pick plus Dawes with salary relief would be a good trade, IMO, for someone the GC was willing to give up JOM to get.

Dawes is a mobile big guy. He was injured and maligned at Melbourne but they were playing hard core defense for two years. There wasn't a lot of good things at Melbourne to keep him happy. Perhaps sittingnfirward at Hawthorn would be a better use for him. The Tyrone is a second ruck/fwd and we still have someone to fill for Roughy.

Hmm...

You're having a laugh.

Shoey, Daws and Vickery in the same forward line is pathetic.

You can sort of understand why Lewis would be pissed though.

Probably turned down larger offers from other clubs throughout his career to stay at Hawthorn, and continually taking paycuts and being asked to again...while bringing in 3 new players on as much money, if not more, than himself.

Not just being asked to take a paycut but actually being asked whether he'd be open to being traded...would make him feel unwanted i guess?
Especially if it is true he thought he'd be offered captaincy (just read that somewhere probably bollocks).

Spot on. This is farcical

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Lewis traded to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back