Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

I see the narrative has moved to "role player"

2020 Grand Final ranked Baker the 17th highest impact on the ground. 9th highest for Richmond
9.6 rating /7.6 predicted

2019 Grand Final ranked Baker the 4th lowest impact on the ground. Last for Richmond.
3.0 rating /8.6 predicted

I offer these stats without comment or agenda. Use them as you see fit.

I thought Shaun Burgoyne was a role player.

Put him in the guts when you need a clearance, throw him forward when you need a goal.

Basically a "Break glass for emergency" player.
Yeah your idea of a role player is very different to mine which is all G.

See for me, the ultimate role player for us during our flags was Jason Castagna. Limited footballer, selfless to a fault but made the team around him better by sacrificing his own game.

2020 Grand Final ranked Baker the 17th highest impact on the ground. 9th highest for Richmond
9.6 rating /7.6 predicted

2019 Grand Final ranked Baker the 4th lowest impact on the ground. Last for Richmond.
3.0 rating /8.6 predicted

I offer these stats without comment or agenda. Use them as you see fit.
Why would I use them, if they were any more outdated I would need to find newspaper clippings. They couldnt add less value if we tried really really hard.

Last edited:
Yeah your idea of a role player is very different to mine which is all G.

See for me, the ultimate role player for us during our flags was Jason Castagna. Limited footballer, selfless to a fault but made the team around him better by sacrificing his own game.
You mean like a Steven Baker type?

If 650k is what we'd be offering with current cba and it goes to 900k due to said cba, then why are the tigers demanding pick 10 value? Should it not still be treated as what 650k would net you in current agreement?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that's where we differ.

I see taggers as limited in ability and usually not highly skilled,but will jump on a landmine for the club.
Will do a job for you.

Role players can play in multiple positions.
seems we have completely different opinions, but arrived at the same destination regarding Baker as a player?

I think so.

I rate Baker but again, I don't think we have the currency to get the deal done unless the AFL give a priority pick
Freo have 3 first rounders.
Wow, did we just clock Bigfooty ;)

Agree, but if he chooses WC, we all know it will get done some way or shape or form, and probably completely left field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how Richmond fans can actually type that Baker is a gun, or plays whatever role he wants at a "very high level". He can play any role at a very high level compared to an average non sports person, but hes just a decent/good player in whatever role he gets put in. If a team has depth in every line his value is very little, to a Carlton or Sydney I doubt youd get more than a late 2nd rounder offered as they have depth.
As West Coast are building depth still, im sure an early 2nd rounder will suffice.

Is he better at any specific role than your typical 15-20th best player at a middle of the ladder side? No, hes not.
Is he a nice player to have as he provides some flexibility? yes
Does this sort of player demand a mid first round pick with 0 outstanding traits? No
I will laugh if anybody tries to tell me that his "leadership qualities" or "how hard he is at the ball" or "loyalty" brings a mid 2nd round value back up to pick 10

Its hilarious how much you guys overrate him

Richmond supporters state he's not a role-player, then go on to describe him in the exact way you'd describe a role-player...

He may be a gun role-player but he's not Dustin Martin/Shai Bolton.

Tigers may want a late first but if he says he wants to go to WCE, then it'll have to be out 2nd, with perhaps a swap of next year's second for Richmond's F3.

If you want more, then you hope he picks Freo. It's as simple as that.

You know what is actually hilarious

WA teams not drafting their own players for years then paying through the nose to get them back to WA
Its friggen 'Hilarious" :D :D :D :D

Because Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Caddy, Lynch were all super cheap.

LOl Did Richmond have the chance to draft Taranto , Hopper , Lynch , Caddy ?

Richmond could have traded like GWS did for Taranto, but they traded that pick for Prestia, same year they traded for Caddy. And Richmond had the pick in the draft before those players.

Richmond could have picked any of Prestia, Caddy or Lynch - they picked Conca instead.

No hope at getting Hopper

Work it out im not going to spoon feed you
LOL

Over 450 posts on here and I'm yet to see an intelligent one.

You can have a reasonable debate, argument with most of the posters on here.
You're not one of them.

It says something when Richmond supporters send me messages to tell me about you.

Jog on.

Here are some other 'role players' that Baker compares to, he is also in by far the poorest performing side

Screenshot 2024-06-28 162440.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back