Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

It leaves them with the status quo. I can't see how Richmond or West Coast help them get 1,000 points this off-season. We might throw a late pick their way for Deven Robertson, your guys might overpay for pick 14 on your own, but they're still going to be well off where they will need to be.
Could see Brisbane tied up in the bolton deal somehow.

Richmond sends points to Brissy, Brisbane First rounder to tiges, Freo F1 to Brisbane. (on top of the pick 9 and everything else).

It leaves them with the status quo. I can't see how Richmond or West Coast help them get 1,000 points this off-season. We might throw a late pick their way for Deven Robertson, your guys might overpay for pick 14 on your own, but they're still going to be well off where they will need to be.
I was doing a scenario with the Bolton trade with Freo. With our 29 and their 27 gets them 300ish more points on their books which would match pick 4 (with the F/S discount)

I honestly think anyone that is worthy of paying a decent AFL salary that is a good example to the youngsters coming through are the kind of players West Coast need. It's even possible that WC haven't bottomed out completely yet. A WC team without McGovern and Barrass covering up all of the mistakes up the ground is pretty scary to consider.

You are going to need players to hold some kind of standards and as much as I'd like Baker at Freo I think he'd be the man for the job at WC.

Could see Brisbane tied up in the bolton deal somehow.

Richmond sends points to Brissy, Brisbane First rounder to tiges, Freo F1 to Brisbane. (on top of the pick 9 and everything else).
Think we deal with Brisbane separately. We have enough points to get that pick alone, so we'd only be getting 9 for Bolton.

No offence, as I think Baker is very good player....but a 1st rd pick for a guy that averages 18-20 disposals, 3 tackles and less than a goal a game??

I mean these are some other players with similar numbers, and I'd struggle to think any of them are worth a 1st?

Jarrod Berry
Hunter Clark
Blake Acres

I honestly think WC will get 12 and 30 for Barass and then it will be 23 and 30 for Baker and 57 (or some low pick Richmond won't use)
Berry is worth a late first IMO, and so is Baker. 23 and 30 is equivalent in real world value to a late first in my book.

Can he announce his desire to only leave for pick 23 and nothing more in any trade ?
Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

I honestly think a late teens/early 20's is fair. The issue seems to be the amount of academy BS that dilutes it. Pick 23 ends up moving back 4-5 spots and then it's not enough.

Agreed, which is why I've said for months that I think it will be 2 2nds, probably with a 3rd going back to West Coast. So 23 and F2 for 39 or 41 and Baker.

Agreed, which is why I've said for months that I think it will be 2 2nds, probably with a 3rd going back to West Coast. So 23 and F2 for 39 or 41 and Baker.

I think that’s slightly heavy in your favour but the sentiment is spot on.

Will end up being a late first round equivalent deal without involving a late first rounder.

No offence, as I think Baker is very good player....but a 1st rd pick for a guy that averages 18-20 disposals, 3 tackles and less than a goal a game??

I mean these are some other players with similar numbers, and I'd struggle to think any of them are worth a 1st?

Jarrod Berry
Hunter Clark
Blake Acres

I honestly think WC will get 12 and 30 for Barass and then it will be 23 and 30 for Baker and 57 (or some low pick Richmond won't use)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you guys acquired a late 20s pick, and made it 23+f2 for Baker and 28 or a middle ladder clubs f2 for example, thats probably about right. Pick 40ish probably leans too much to you guys

If you guys acquired a late 20s pick, and made it 23+f2 for Baker and 28 or a middle ladder clubs f2 for example, thats probably about right. Pick 40ish probably leans too much to you guys
Richmond already has a late 20's pick - 29. Including that pick would value Baker at pick 16, assuming we finish second-last next year.

I honestly think a late teens/early 20's is fair. The issue seems to be the amount of academy BS that dilutes it. Pick 23 ends up moving back 4-5 spots and then it's not enough.

I don't get this thought process.
Pick 23 gives you access to the 23rd player available in the open pool, regardless of whether there are zero or 50 academy/fs selections ahead of it.

I don't get this thought process.
Pick 23 gives you access to the 23rd player available in the open pool, regardless of whether there are zero or 50 academy/fs selections ahead of it.

That's correct but if there are 5 academy players then it's the 28th best player as opposed to the 23rd choice. Fairly basic concept if you ask me.

That's correct but if there are 5 academy players then it's the 28th best player as opposed to the 23rd choice. Fairly basic concept if you ask me.

But you never had access to those academy players. So your pick hasn't moved back at all.
You're getting hung up on the number and not on what the draft pick gives you access to.

Basic concept, hey?

Baker will be either WC’s 1 of the Barras trade picks from Hawthorn. Around pick 14 which ends up at about 17.
Or
Freos third first round pick from where ever Port finishes. Freo’s first 2 go on Bolton.
Richmond do not require any more late picks or 2nd round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Baker will be either WC’s 1 of the Barras trade picks from Hawthorn. Around pick 14 which ends up at about 17.
Or
Freos third first round pick from where ever Port finishes. Freo’s first 2 go on Bolton.
Richmond do not require any more late picks or 2nd round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A first for Baker won't be coming from West Coast. Bolton will be 9 + 17.

Can we please stop saying "pick 23 will turn into pick 29...."

It does not matter because the players that get picked from Academies or F/S, the club does not have access too anyway!!

Clubs know that and know what players will go that they don't have access too, and where they should go.

Think you’re underselling bakes here. What did we pay for hopper? Who was our head of recruiting then? Who is leading up west coasts football department now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back