Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

In terms of picks? Absolutely not. But more the principal. If that trade went through today, Matty Clarke and the West Coast recruitment team would be investigated for draft tampering or some sort of Malaysian betting Syndicate scandal.

This kinda goes for both, but if he is getting this "Life-Changing" money off that has been thrown around in the media then the pick would be in that 12 - 16 range. Especially with the Preseason draft threat being in the Tigers favour.

THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM TRADE SCENARIO

I think this would be the bare minimum that would satisfy Richmond (again because of the internal value of his off field value)

Richmond: Baker + 31
West Coast: Hawthorn Pick (currently 13) + 43

By the Draft Values on the pick calculator, this has Baker at pick 19 (obviously moves further back the further the Hawks go)

So equivalent to pick 19 is OK by you?

But pick 23 isn't close enough? 4 pick difference is pretty close.

So Eagles are forced into trading a 1st they desperately need for the rebuild?

Why would they do that? Why?

Nice team for Tigers fans.

Hungry Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
Ive never known a player less wanted by the fans of a potetial trade than Baker. If any first rounder gets involved (it wont) the backlash from fans online will be huge. If

So equivalent to pick 19 is OK by you?

But pick 23 isn't close enough? 4 pick difference is pretty close.

So Eagles are forced into trading a 1st they desperately need for the rebuild?

Why would they do that? Why?
I think he is worth a first rounder post Pick 12, with steak knives moving further to one team or another the closer or further away the pick is.

The reason West Coast would do it is because it is the price the Tigers would demand for a player they believe to be a Captain of the club (again if the rumours are to be believed). The Tigers also have the Preseason threat. I think that the preseason threat from the Tigers is a win/win for them because they can either convince him to stay on past that year or they potentially get a better pick deal through the AFL's dartboard F/A approach.

The points here really muddle everything up in terms of value. Pick 19 in equivalence to pick 23 is not a huge difference. On that we agree 100%. However in the real world of drafting, Pick 13 is a hell of a lot more different to pick 23.

You only need to look at some of the trades from last year to see that the values on players have gone through the roof. I also don't think that future picks will be traded due to the changes that are slatted for next year.

This was a trade for Dylan Stephens. Former pick 5 (2019) with average of 11 games per season (2020 one of these years). That draft pick was Pick 19 for this year (the compo package)
1725851554804.png

I would say that an established player with 2 flags and slated as a Captain would be worth slightly more than this.

I'm one of the only (if not the only) Eagles poster who is actually comfortable with a 3 for Baker and 9 trade.

If we trade 3 for Baker and 16 I am getting on a flight to Perth to set myself on fire outside Mineral Resources Park.
If we trade 3 for Baker and 9 I am getting on a flight to Perth to set you on fire outside Mineral Resources Park

From the point of view of what I can see as realistically happening? Is it overs, yeah. But I can see it being overs. Richmond has the Pre-season draft (and despite what Cornes thinks, Al Clarkson would jump at taking Baker in the preseason if Richmond didnt). I know it doesnt matter much, but I also think that Matty Clarke might also be a little too nice to Richmond from the connection.

Like I said Baker would be valued fairly at pick 12 - 16 in a straight swap (with maybe 3rd round upgrade for West Coast coming back). Especially if the reports on the contract are to be believed.

Would say that the 3 way trade of Baker, Barrass and Hawthorn first rounder would be something I would be happy with as from a Richmond perspective, that would be fair price. The net for West Coast is not great as Barass is a more required player in a far more valuable position and is contracted (pretty sure he is).

For context, I am to young to know what Kane Johnson was like at Adelaide and his level as a player there, but the below trade was done for Johnson (who ended up our captain).

Richmond: Jason Torney (1994 pick 29, played 118 games before trade), 2, 18, 32
Adelaide: Kane Johnson, 12, 28, 41
Are you being serious?

The reason West Coast would do it is because it is the price the Tigers would demand
That's not how it works. We're in a rebuild as well. We're not overpaying for a 27 year old (next season) unless he's an A grader and we're on the verge of a premiership.

Its the value he brings to the Tigers as a leader and member of the team. The word is that Captaincy was on the table so the club obviously rates him highly so a first round pick would be a must. Pick 12 as a straight swap would be around the mark for him.

He is very clean and when played in the proper position in the backline is dangerous due to his one touch pick up. Just needs the right people around him to be able to use his skills.

It really could end up with West Coast, Richmond and Brisbane doing a 3 way deal like below

Richmond OUT: Baker + 31, 33, 41
Richmond In: 3

West Coast OUT: Pick 3
West Coast In: Baker + Pick 16 (assuming Brisbane finish here)

Brisbane Out: Pick 16 (total 1067 Points)
Brisbane In: Pick 31,33,41 (Total 1581 points)
God you paint the rest of us supporters with a bad brush with this tripe :sweat:
We get Eagles Second rounder. Thats it. If he was under contract then things would get a little spicier, but he aint.

Pick 3 and anything related to Baker makes no sense to anyone bar Vic media dopes and some Richmond supporters. Not all.

But just to compare to previous pick swaps.three drafts ago the Eagles traded pick 12 for 14 and got Ports future 2nd.

A mid to late 1st round pick swap.

So dropping 3 places from 3 to 6 should cost/ be valued more than a future 2nd shouldn't it?
I just don't think it's the right trade for the Tigers in this draft

The player at 3 is probably very similar to the player at 6, e.g. this isn't a standout top player list, it's more 5-6 good prospects in the mix for number 1.

For that reason, in this draft, it seems like we'd be giving Baker away for not much gain.

Comparing it to other drafts I can't really do because it's a unique situation with a very even group in the top 10.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Everyone knows this is my pet hate 😒

My only thing with that is if it helps us get 2 of the best players in the draft it may be worth it.
No point taking speculative picks on players for the sake of it. if we have too many picks in the teens with pushbacks or in the second round they become duds anyway.

Listened to Vic media today and this is their take.

Bailey Smith off to Geelong for their 1st which could very well end up being in the 20's if they win the GF. Geelong has all of the leverage on this deal because he's out of contract and has picked the Cats. Too bad Doggies.

Liam Baker off to WCE for a split of their #3 pick or the Barrass pick as Richmond need to be fairly compensated with this deal.

Go figure.

Bailey Smith off to Geelong for their 1st which could very well end up being in the 20's if they win the GF. Geelong has all of the leverage on this deal because he's out of contract and has picked the Cats. Too bad Doggies.

Liam Baker off to WCE for a split of their #3 pick or the Barrass pick as Richmond need to be fairly compensated with this deal.

Go figure.

So Cats trading for young gun mid out of contract. Pick that may end up in the 20's. All good. Bit rough on Dogs but meh.

So Eagles trading for a less accomplished utility in Baker. Will need to split pick 3 or offer up the Hawks 1st.

Both options significantly over what the Vic media say is fair for Bailey Smith.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Never change Vic media. Never change. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I hadn't expected a 1st to be involved if Bakes went to West Coast, this is an interesting development.

It may come down to who the Eagles are interested in.

Say it was 3 for bakes and 9 or 10. Maybe the Eagles are into Bo Allan in a big way, and with the hawks pick sliding the further they get into finals, it may mean they can take him and still get Baker.

Whilst I hadn't expected a 1st to be involved if Bakes went to West Coast, this is an interesting development.

Say it was 3 for bakes and 9 or 10. Maybe the Eagles are into Bo Allan in a big way, and with the hawks pick sliding the further they get into finals, it may mean they can take him and still get Baker.
It won't be that.theres no indication #3 would be involved in any trade involving Baker, should he even pick WCE.

Pyke said it might be involved in a trade, where picks are shuffled around, to bring in a high quality player(think along the lines of Warner, for example) but they are more interested in using those too picks to bring in young talent via the draft.

Ralph's a lazy journo with no connection to WCE, so he automatically assumes WCE must be interested in targeting the only WA players projected to go in the top 20, because he has no idea of our draft history.

It won't be that.theres no indication #3 would be involved in any trade involving Baker, should he even pick WCE.

Pyke said it might be involved in a trade, where picks are shuffled around, to bring in a high quality player(think along the lines of Warner, for example) but they are more interested in using those too picks to bring in young talent via the draft.

Ralph's a lazy journo with no connection to WCE, so he automatically assumes WCE must be interested in targeting the only WA players projected to go in the top 20, because he has no idea of our draft history.

No doubt, but the reference I see was something like they wouldn't give up 3 straight for Baker, but might consider if they get another top 10 (without using Bakers name i think). That doesn't sound like a player like Warner for example, certainly sounds more like a mid range.

Not saying I'd do it, I wasn't expecting either 3 or the Barass pick to be involved, but I'd certainly be stoked if they were.

Go figure.
Ill Allow It GIF

West coast have won 10 games in 3 seasons 10/68 games
12 wins from the last 82 actually.

That is well within the same realms as norf , Gold Coast and Brisbane before us getting Priority picks .

We are reportedly asking for PP to help rebuild.

Future end of 1st round would be right on bakers value 😉

Refer ralphs post re WC's 1st pick before the last draft....he had absolutely NFI and can't imagine anything's changed this year.

Hey Tiger's crew, Baker is good player but you ain't going to get Pick 3 from the Eagles for him.
It is not going to happen in any way/shape/form/, or even some pick swap situation.
Ralphy is just making sh## up.

Hey Tiger's crew, Baker is good player but you ain't going to get Pick 3 from the Eagles for him.
It is not going to happen in any way/shape/form/, or even some pick swap situation.

If Richmond offered Baker and 6 for 3 and we didn't take it I'm flying to Perth to set myself and Barrybran on fire outside of Mineral Resources Park.

Don't believe you Rik Mayall.gif

If Richmond offered Baker and 6 for 3 and we didn't take it I'm flying to Perth to set myself and Barrybran on fire outside of Mineral Resources Park.
It depends on our targets. I can see us splitting 3 for two good picks, not for a downgrade and a role player. Someone mentioned 3, 13 (HAW) + F2 for 6 (GCS), 9 (FRE) + Baker on our board. That would make a lot more sense to me than just 3 for 6 + Baker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back