Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

In terms of picks? Absolutely not. But more the principal. If that trade went through today, Matty Clarke and the West Coast recruitment team would be investigated for draft tampering or some sort of Malaysian betting Syndicate scandal.

This kinda goes for both, but if he is getting this "Life-Changing" money off that has been thrown around in the media then the pick would be in that 12 - 16 range. Especially with the Preseason draft threat being in the Tigers favour.

THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM TRADE SCENARIO

I think this would be the bare minimum that would satisfy Richmond (again because of the internal value of his off field value)

Richmond: Baker + 31
West Coast: Hawthorn Pick (currently 13) + 43

By the Draft Values on the pick calculator, this has Baker at pick 19 (obviously moves further back the further the Hawks go)
For God stake don't use the pick calculator.

I think he is worth a first rounder post Pick 12, with steak knives moving further to one team or another the closer or further away the pick is.

The reason West Coast would do it is because it is the price the Tigers would demand for a player they believe to be a Captain of the club (again if the rumours are to be believed). The Tigers also have the Preseason threat. I think that the preseason threat from the Tigers is a win/win for them because they can either convince him to stay on past that year or they potentially get a better pick deal through the AFL's dartboard F/A approach.

The points here really muddle everything up in terms of value. Pick 19 in equivalence to pick 23 is not a huge difference. On that we agree 100%. However in the real world of drafting, Pick 13 is a hell of a lot more different to pick 23.

You only need to look at some of the trades from last year to see that the values on players have gone through the roof. I also don't think that future picks will be traded due to the changes that are slatted for next year.

This was a trade for Dylan Stephens. Former pick 5 (2019) with average of 11 games per season (2020 one of these years). That draft pick was Pick 19 for this year (the compo package)
View attachment 2105720

I would say that an established player with 2 flags and slated as a Captain would be worth slightly more than this.
oh dear.

Its pick 19 and 44 for 25 and Stephens.

Its the value he brings to the Tigers as a leader and member of the team. The word is that Captaincy was on the table so the club obviously rates him highly so a first round pick would be a must. Pick 12 as a straight swap would be around the mark for him.

He is very clean and when played in the proper position in the backline is dangerous due to his one touch pick up. Just needs the right people around him to be able to use his skills.

It really could end up with West Coast, Richmond and Brisbane doing a 3 way deal like below

Richmond OUT: Baker + 31, 33, 41
Richmond In: 3

West Coast OUT: Pick 3
West Coast In: Baker + Pick 16 (assuming Brisbane finish here)

Brisbane Out: Pick 16 (total 1067 Points)
Brisbane In: Pick 31,33,41 (Total 1581 points)
The only trade that is legit is the Brisbane - Tigers pick swaps.

Bakes is my favourite player at the club. His hardness for the contest is inspirational. He’s been a wonderful player and servant during our premiership years. Make sure he goes to the club of his choice! We want get what we feel is fair but that doesn’t matter.

For what it’s worth I think he fits West Coasts needs very well as a swing player for can cover their holes and support the teenagers.

On ya Bakes!
He is 27 years old and averages 20 possession and had a total of 10 Brownlow votes in 4 years.

Still reckon Baker to Freo makes more sense

He’s just said he wants to go to WA, not to a specific club

Hard to see WCE giving up what he’s worth at this stage of their rebuild

Freo already have the nucleus of a potential premiership team, adding a good quality mid career players makes sense

Ideally I’d like to have kept him, cause I love the way he goes about it and he really sets the standard – top three rated player at our club I think

But he’s been a good servant of the club so we’ll do everything we can to get him home and Freo much more likely to pay a fair price.

WCE supporters obviously don’t rate Baker and that’s fine

They can have Jack Graham instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still reckon Baker to Freo makes more sense

He’s just said he wants to go to WA, not to a specific club

Hard to see WCE giving up what he’s worth at this stage of their rebuild

Freo already have the nucleus of a potential premiership team, adding a good quality mid career players makes sense

Ideally I’d like to have kept him, cause I love the way he goes about it and he really sets the standard – top three rated player at our club I think

But he’s been a good servant of the club so we’ll do everything we can to get him home and Freo much more likely to pay a fair price.
I don’t see how Freo pay a fair price if the murmurs of Warner being on the table are true.

If that were the case then the meat of both deals would look something like

Bolton - 10,17
Warner - 9, F1, some seconds

Doesn’t really leave anything for Baker that’s better than what Eagles are prepared to offer

West coast have won 10 games in 3 seasons 10/68 games
12 wins from the last 82 actually.

That is well within the same realms as norf , Gold Coast and Brisbane before us getting Priority picks .

We are reportedly asking for PP to help rebuild.

Future end of 1st round would be right on bakers value 😉
What , reported by who?
If WCE ever ask for a priority pick (handout) it will end the club as a ruthless high achieving organisation. The entire board must go if this has happened, and the CEO chased out of the state.

Listened to Vic media today and this is their take.

Bailey Smith off to Geelong for their 1st which could very well end up being in the 20's if they win the GF. Geelong has all of the leverage on this deal because he's out of contract and has picked the Cats. Too bad Doggies.

Liam Baker off to WCE for a split of their #3 pick or the Barrass pick as Richmond need to be fairly compensated with this deal.

Go figure.
Vic bias is a myth they say...

Whilst I hadn't expected a 1st to be involved if Bakes went to West Coast, this is an interesting development.

It may come down to who the Eagles are interested in.

Say it was 3 for bakes and 9 or 10. Maybe the Eagles are into Bo Allan in a big way, and with the hawks pick sliding the further they get into finals, it may mean they can take him and still get Baker.
Yeah just like we're into daniel curtin in a big way because hes from WA and we're going to trade away harley reid for the privilege of such a downgrade and helping a victorian club because we're so nice. Give me a spell.

West coast have won 10 games in 3 seasons 10/68 games
12 wins from the last 82 actually.

That is well within the same realms as norf , Gold Coast and Brisbane before us getting Priority picks .

We are reportedly asking for PP to help rebuild.

Future end of 1st round would be right on bakers value 😉
Where did you hear that we've asked?

What , reported by who?
If WCE ever ask for a priority pick (handout) it will end the club as a ruthless high achieving organisation. The entire board must go if this has happened, and the CEO chased out of the state.
Get your hand off it, half the clubs in the competiton have been receiving handouts in one shape or form over the last few years and our draft hands have been impacted as a result despite being equally as bad as north who have received priority picks 3 years running. Meanwhile we get rewarded with shit sandwich after shit sandwich.

If the AFL want to compromise the draft system to the extent that they have with academies for certain clubs and ridiculous point discounts on top of that, fudged free agency compo picks, 3 years of priority picks for some clubs, bringing new teams into the competition that act as feeders for the big vic clubs, crush the soft cap which disproportionately effects us etc. Then we should be using any and every lever available to improve our position on this uneven playing field.

Time to swallow our pride and smash and grab just like every other club has been doing for years or we'll be left in the dust. Part of being a ruthless, high achieving organisation is being able to adapt to changes in the environment, so stop listening to 6pr and reading the west australian and have a look around at the modern day football landscape we're operating in.

What , reported by who?
I think west coast finished as a ruthless high achieving club in 2020 when the coach down told all and sundry that the covid season was just too hard and unfair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back