Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

The awkward position for Richmond is Eagles don't have many options, and freo just don't really want or need him that much.

We won't be wanting to rip tigers off, but what we value him will unfortunately be well lower than what tigers value him. And we will give a take or leave it offer.

We have a tonne of options in the positions he plays, are very tight for cap space, and have the opportunity to target much better players.

Honestly I see the Eagles working something out, if he comes to the dockers it will be for unders.
Yet they've offered him a long-term deal? :think:

Yet they've offered him a long-term deal? :think:
Yeah thats kind of a weird take, and TBH I think misses where Freo should be at. Baker would walk into any team and improve it. When you're close you are tinkering at the margins. Freo with: a bit better injury luck, Bolton, Baker are top 4 this year instead of sitting on the sidelines.

Yeah thats kind of a weird take, and TBH I think misses where Freo should be at. Baker would walk into any team and improve it. When you're close you are tinkering at the margins. Freo with: a bit better injury luck, Bolton, Baker are top 4 this year instead of sitting on the sidelines.

Bolton walks in to our side and improves it. 100%.

But is he worth the amount of salary cap and picks he will cost to upgrade someone like Switta or Freddy?

Particularly when cap space is at such a premium with Bolton (potentially paying more in picks for cap room, Warner, Picket and Hill potential incomings.

What would you expect Baker to take money wise? 750? 800? When we can go and get some of those other guys for 900 or 1m, is it worth it?

Rumours he toured the facility. Obviously unlikely but Bolton, Pickett and Hill all do off season training at agent Walters house and Hill is looking for a pay rise.
Oh ok. Knew he was using us to bump his pies contract, thought something had shifted😬

But is he worth the amount of salary cap and picks he will cost to upgrade someone like Switta or Freddy?

Particularly when cap space is at such a premium with Bolton (potentially paying more in picks for cap room, Warner, Picket and Hill potential incomings.

What would you expect Baker to take money wise? 750? 800? When we can go and get some of those other guys for 900 or 1m, is it worth it?

Honestly no idea about salaries, but I’m almost 100% that we’ll be paying a hefty chunk in exchange for better picks in the trade. It just makes so much sense for both clubs. So yes, worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly no idea about salaries, but I’m almost 100% that we’ll be paying a hefty chunk in exchange for better picks in the trade. It just makes so much sense for both clubs. So yes, worth it.

Fair shout. Don't know why I thought you guys would help out with Bolton's contract but I didn't even think about Bakers. My bad. Hopefully he wins another 3 flags with us.

Fair shout. Don't know why I thought you guys would help out with Bolton's contract but I didn't even think about Bakers. My bad. Hopefully he wins another 3 flags with us.

Yeah, look at our recent retirements and who is leaving and we’ll seriously struggle to hit our minimum spend. Anywhere we can trade salary out for better picks we will.

Would love to see Freo finally salute too, and even more if Baker helps you to that. Hard to communicate just how much he’s loved by the fans, but if you get him you’ll understand soon enough!

Yeah, look at our recent retirements and who is leaving and we’ll seriously struggle to hit our minimum spend. Anywhere we can trade salary out for better picks we will.

Would love to see Freo finally salute too, and even more if Baker helps you to that. Hard to communicate just how much he’s loved by the fans, but if you get him you’ll understand soon enough!

Love that bro

Fremantle is top 4 regardless.

2.5 games of the top 4 (win against either the Cats or Giants its only 2 games, 4th Youngest team and our best are not the old guys.

A lot of players moving into the 23-28 age group, 3 first round picks with a handy second round, and a few potential youngsters at WAFL level. It's exciting times.

Baker worth a top 10 first with change coming back.

If Freo I can see it being something like 10 for Baker and 21/29. 17 alone I don't think gets it done as that will be push out to 20+.
He's every bit as good a player as Schultz, I know the pies weren't expecting their future first to be so low, but it was a first and a second.

If Eagles it gets really tricky as they don't have many leavers to pull.

Richmond don't want future picks. So I think Freo is in the box seat for Baker.
Why would the Tigers not want future picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the draft this year really is as deep and everyone has been saying:

3 and 30 (one of the picks we get for Barrass from Hawks) for Baker + 10 + 21 + 39 might be the go?

Feels like we should get more from that offer, and Richmond would feel like they're getting shafted too? Sign of a fair deal?

If the draft this year really is as deep and everyone has been saying:

3 and 30 (one of the picks we get for Barrass from Hawks) for Baker + 10 + 21 + 39 might be the go?

Feels like we should get more from that offer, and Richmond would feel like they're getting shafted too? Sign of a fair deal?
Absolutely ****ing not.

I'd want a far better player than Baker if we're to part with pick 3, all the way back to 10.

2.5 games of the top 4 (win against either the Cats or Giants its only 2 games, 4th Youngest team and our best are not the old guys.

A lot of players moving into the 23-28 age group, 3 first round picks with a handy second round, and a few potential youngsters at WAFL level. It's exciting times.
I agree 100%. Which is why I think you should be trading for the best mature players you can who will improve your starting 22, instead of drafting. Obvious I have recency bias with Richmond, but thats what we did at the end of 16 and the rest is history.

If you can get Bolton, Baker with a chunk of salary paid, and target an OOC Warner next year with the saved cash ... who knows? Good picks are great and all, especially if you back in your talent identification and development - but sometimes it's better to strike when the irons hot.

Front load both their contracts, I don't think we'd care paying salary next year, it doesn't matter to us in 2025, we'll have a heap of kids on low wages.

That is never a given, for any team. So much can change in one off season.

Bolton and Baker significantly improve your chances of being that though, and pushing deep into September.

I agree 100%. Which is why I think you should be trading for the best mature players you can who will improve your starting 22, instead of drafting. Obvious I have recency bias with Richmond, but thats what we did at the end of 16 and the rest is history.

If you can get Bolton, Baker with a chunk of salary paid, and target an OOC Warner next year with the saved cash ... who knows? Good picks are great and all, especially if you back in your talent identification and development - but sometimes it's better to strike when the irons hot.
Prestia, Nankervis, and Caddy had an impact. At the time I thought that Richmond should have gone to draft with pick 6 but in the end Prestia was a better choice. Nankervis and Caddy didn't cost much.

In the past, Fremantle have toppled up a few times which has ended in a horrible outcome. Makes Docker fans a bit gun shy.

Out of best 22 only Fyfe, Walters and O'Meara are over the 30, Ryan, Pearce, and Switta are between 27-29 and the rest of the best 22 are 26-year-old and under.

Bolton is valuable for what he, individually, can do on the field.

Baker is valuable for what he adds to the players around him through leadership and inspiration.

If you're looking at Baker just for the kicks/marks/handballs you're missing the point about why clubs would want him.

Bolton is valuable for what he, individually, can do on the field.

Baker is valuable for what he adds to the players around him through leadership and inspiration.

If you're looking at Baker just for the kicks/marks/handballs you're missing the point about why clubs would want him.
This!

Sure, Baker has leadership skills.

Alot of games we lost because trying to defend a lead and lack of composure.

Serong and Brayshaw show the way in type of hard as a cat head leadership.

Dockers more of a coach of the field like a Mitchell and Hodge type.

Not sure Baker brings that.

How Freo fans remain this confident when their team shits the bed year upon year is one of life’s great mysteries

How Freo fans remain this confident when their team shits the bed year upon year is one of life’s great mysteries
Richmond did the same until they worked it out.

Hawthorn took 36 years to win their first VFL flag, Richmond took 30 plus years to break a premiership gap, and Geelong it was 44 years from 1963 to 2007.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back